• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Favourite music genre for rail enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Not sure if this topic has been done before, but are there particular music genres which tend to be favourites for rail enthusiasts?

I've always preferred progressive rock bands, with groups such as Camel, Jethro Tull, Genesis and Renaissance being amongst my favourites.

What is your favourite type of music? It would be interesting to see if particular genres are associated with railways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool folkie....but I also enjoy blues, light classical and - not surprisingly, given the amount of time I have spent/do spend in Italy - opera.

Older members may recall a Bristol-based rock band called 'Lieutenant Pigeon', whose biggest hit in the mid-1970s was a song entitled 'Mouldy Old Dough'! Some - or perhaps all four - of them were rail enthusiasts and IIRC they were instrumental (Groan!) in the formation of the Western Locomotive Association, along with local primary school teacher Pam Keck. It may well be that their earnings contributed to a greater or lesser extent to the purchase of D1013 and D1062. I wonder whether Pam is still alive? I met her a couple of times at railway preservation-related functions and she had an infectious enthusiasm inspired by the train spotting kids in her class....some of whom may well nowadays be on this forum!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A bit of all sorts for me, ranging from Dragonforce to Nightcore, with a little bit of 1980s pop music in there, along with some classic video game music (in this specific instance, I'm thinking of some of the music from Sonic 2 and Samba De Amigo), although I do also like some 1990s and early 2000s pop music as well. Not to mention some Linkin Park and happy hardcore. Oh and sometimes there's even a bit of classic TV theme music in there, depending on how nostalgic I'm feeling at the time.

It depends on my mood as to what gets played and when, but the above gives you an idea of just how varied my YouTube history is!

birchesgreen

Established Member
I listen to synthwave these days though a few years ago i listened to twee pop / C86. Some of these records featured trains on the cover.

Drogba11CFC

I prefer individual songs as opposed to singers and groups. My tastes range from Kodaline to Toby Keith!

Trainguy34

My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Take That, Green Day & 80s pop all appear on my playlist frequently.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Mainly various types of rock music - classic, blues, prog, psychedelic or country (but not thrash metal). Think anything resembling, or in between, Beatles, Searchers, Oasis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Grand Funk Railroad, Eagles, etc., etc.

Gloster

Established Member
Classical music, particularly the late nineteenth and early twentieth century European composers, and punk.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
A bit of all sorts for me, ranging from Dragonforce to Nightcore
This is probably one for the "You know you're getting old when..." thread, but what on earth are DragonForce and Nightcore, and do I really want to know? o_O

I think I'm fairly open-minded when musical tastes are concerned. 70s-90s pop is what I grew up listening to when I was growing up, along with some 50s and 60s stuff that my dad liked. I gave up listening to the charts when I was around 17 and got heavily into classical for a while, mainly because I was playing quite a lot of the stuff in orchestras at the time. My preference is for music played by big symphony orchestras, rather than the "namby-pamby cherry orchard music" of earlier periods (those were the words of the head brass instructor in my youth orchestra).

I started going clubbing around 95, mainly hearing the handbaggy stuff that my local gay club played and I moved on to liking hard house, trance and eventually techno. I don't mind a bit of jungle and can tolerate drum'n'bass in very small doses. Anything that ends in "core" is probably off the list! Lately, Scooter seems to have had a bit of a resurgence on my local pub's jukebox and it drives me insane.

I draw the line at really heavy metal stuff and country (blergh) but, other that, there isn't much that I don't like.

Cambus731

I am a huge proghead. Listen to artists such as Hawkwind, Marillion, Current 93, IQ, Pendragon, Camel, Yes, Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree Mostly Autumn, Gong, Cituzen Cain, Mike Oldfield, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, etc.
Outside of progressive rock, I listen to Al Stewart, Adam Ant, Led Zeppelin, UFO, Iron Maiden, Sophie B Hawkins etc

dangie

Established Member
Being born in 1951 my interest in music began in the 1960’s so for me the Beatles will always be No.1

Following that, I’m a ageing rocker. Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, AC/DC etc….

DelW

Established Member
Folk through folk/rock to prog rock. The artists most represented in my LP and CD collections are probably Joni Mitchell and Pink Floyd, with other significant entries from Steeleye Span, Fairport Convention, Ian Matthews, Al Stewart, Paul Simon, Genesis, Yes, The Who, Led Zeppelin and Lou Reed.

One of my favourites from many years ago was Trees, who made two albums in 1970. Lead vocalist was Celia Humphris, who under her married name of Celia Drummond was the voice of many recent train and station announcements.

Benters

Most hard rock/metal from the last few decades with some prog, post-punk, a pinch of glam and some classical thrown into the mix. Here goes;
Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Queen, Aerosmith, David Bowie, Yes, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Hawkwind, Rush, It Bites, Kate Bush, Pat Benatar, Alanis Morisette, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Guns N Roses, Big Country, U2, Marillion, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, The Cult, T.Rex, Slade , Maximo Park, Bon Jovi, Michael Schenker Group, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Holst and Elgar.

Not forgetting the Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix ✌️

gg1

Established Member
If you'd have asked me in my 20s or 30s I'd have said my favourites were metal and industrial with a smattering of punk, indie, classic rock and goth, but in my 40s I've largely lost all interest in music of any genre. I do occasionally get the urge to listen to music but only once in a blue moon. Still can't bear the idea of parting with my CDs though, even though realistically I'll probably never play most of them again.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Mainly progressive rock for me also, e.g. Pink Floyd, Focus, Genesis, plus Eric Clapton, Santana & many others. Quite open to other genres too!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Well obviously:
Ticket to Ryde, The Beatles seeking ancient underground trains,
Do The Locomotion, Kylie a haulage enthusiast,
Steamy Windows, Tina Turner in a Mk1 compartment,
Electric Avenue, Eddy Grant ticking off EMUs at Brixton

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Trans-Europe Express but with the 'Europe' part crudely dubbed over with a brusque Yorkshire 'Pennine'.

Quite like most genres of music, although I can never get into most R&B for some reason. My Spotify Daily Mix has Sabaton, Clean Bandit, Jeremy Soule, and Aya Ueto on, so I can back that statement up.

Essan

Jethro Tull - Runrig - Fish/Marillion - Iron Maiden - Springsteen - Jim Hunter* - Wolfstone - Genesis - Rush - Fairport Convention

* singer/songwriter from Lochailort

Basically, prog and folk rock.

Benters

Some more I missed out earlier:
Deep Purple, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Dio, Focus, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Metallica, Foo Fighters, Therapy?, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Magnum, Thunder, Diamond Head, Faith No More, Muse, Living Colour, The Police, The Stranglers, Blue Oyster Cult , Steely Dan, The Mission.
That's me done! :)

dgl

Established Member
Mixture of 80's synth pop (OMD - Locomotion!, Blancmange, Depeche Mode, Erasure, A-ha, Propaganda, AoN, Buggles,JMJ, Kraftwerk Etc.), some dance music (Scooter (the video for Break it Up was filmed at a German heritage railway), Sash, KLF Etc.) and some more interesting artists like Röyksopp, iamamiwhoami/ionnalee and Susanne Sundfør.

D1511

I'm likely to be the statistical outlier here......ambient, dub and drone electronica is my thing. 'Techno' doesn’t necessarily need kick drums and hi-hats IMO. And the works are proper compositions, with movements, as proper music should, and 30 minute tracks are not unusual. Soundscapes is a word often used to describe it.
Deepchord, Echospace, CV313, Donato Dozzy and a bunch of other artists that hardly anyone's heard of. But I am perfectly comfortable with that.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
70s/80s synth, especially early Human League,OMD and Vice Versa. Also other bands from that New Wave/Romantic era. I’m also partial to Krautrock such as early Kraftwerk,Can,Neu,Faust and Tangerine Dream and others.

Harvester

Established Member
Liked ‘The Kinks’ especially back in the sixties. Waterloo Sunset was released in May 1967, and was in the charts during the last weeks of Southern Steam. Maybe just a coincidence, but very nostalgic!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Half Man Half Biscuit fans are often the right sort of "nerdy" to also be rail enthusiasts.

Then there's the 1980s "Rail Punk" band named after two class 56s... Blyth Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.