• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC - Southern Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperami

Hey guys

I spoke to Southern HR This morning about the possibility of Trainee Driver vacancies in the near future, and explained that I had received a letter from FCC stating that the position I had applied for had been filled, and what would be the steps required as I had already sat assessments and passed those and the DM interview

Southern HR have told me today that it will be JULY 2015 before FCC become part of merger!!

So, even though FCC have said the talent pool will be carried across, it seems to be a bit longer than they might be letting on

My passes are good for three years, but apparently, again according to Southern HR, their assessments are slightly different, so I would have to sit the parts I have not done, then have an interview, but although I have got the passes already, I still have to apply online as an when a vacancy arises and from what he said this morning, the chances of getting a position with Southern are slim to none, because they always have enough internal candidates to fill the vacancies

I questioned the why advertise the positions online then, and he said we have do this

Does Not bode well does it :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ert47

I think what they meant to say, is that Southern wont be merging with FCC (GTR) until next July.
How I'd interpret what FCC said, is that their talent pool will be carried across to GTR in September.

Best to contact FCC for clarification.

Pepperami

Hiya mate

Ok thanks for the response, I will email FCC and get clarification

Cheers :)

I think what they meant to say, is that Southern wont be merging with FCC (GTR) until next July.
How I'd interpret what FCC said, is that their talent pool will be carried across to GTR in September.

Best to contact FCC for clarification.

jamess115

Regarding an update, I spoke to FCC HR a couple of days ago and although they confirmed that those in the pool will be moved across with the merger for definite, she didn't know the answer to anything else and just said it was all up in the air at present.

I know things have changed or are about to change for us due to FCC losing the franchise but if you look at the frequency of how often the courses were run prior to this, I don't think it will be July 2015 before we see any action. As far as I know, the FCC merger along with Southern etc is taking place in middle of Sept. I would be really surprised if FCC aren't joining the merger until July next year.
However, I do think things will need to settle down a bit after the Sept takeover before any operational decisions are made. With the growth of the merger and the fact that train companies can be fined for not having sufficient staff (I think that's correct?), I do believe that it is just a matter of time. However, a bit more info from the companies themselves wouldn't go a-miss .. Just my opinion :|

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
Regarding an update, I spoke to FCC HR a couple of days ago and although they confirmed that those in the pool will be moved across with the merger for definite, she didn't know the answer to anything else and just said it was all up in the air at present.

I know things have changed or are about to change for us due to FCC losing the franchise but if you look at the frequency of how often the courses were run prior to this, I don't think it will be July 2015 before we see any action. As far as I know, the FCC merger along with Southern etc is taking place in middle of Sept. I would be really surprised if FCC aren't joining the merger until July next year.
However, I do think things will need to settle down a bit after the Sept takeover before any operational decisions are made. With the growth of the merger and the fact that train companies can be fined for not having sufficient staff (I think that's correct?), I do believe that it is just a matter of time. However, a bit more info from the companies themselves wouldn't go a-miss .. Just my opinion :|

Think you are getting confused FCC becomes GTR thameslink and great northern in September 2014.
In July 2015 southern and gatwick express will then join GTR bringing four sepertate brands under one name. From what we have been told they will run as four sepertate brands, no mention of Hr I'm afraid. But we were told head office will stay the same till July 2015, so they may be no change till then.

jamess115

Think you are getting confused FCC becomes GTR thameslink and great northern in September 2014.
In July 2015 southern and gatwick express will then join GTR bringing four sepertate brands under one name. From what we have been told they will run as four sepertate brands, no mention of Hr I'm afraid. But we were told head office will stay the same till July 2015, so they may be no change till then.

If we are agreed that FCC becomes GTR Thameslink & Great Northern in Sept 2014 and accepting that there will be a settling in period, why would it be another 10 months from this date before the next intake for any depot irrespective of what changes there are to head office ?

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
If we are agreed that FCC becomes GTR Thameslink & Great Northern in Sept 2014 and accepting that there will be a settling in period, why would it be another 10 months from this date before the next intake for any depot irrespective of what changes there are to head office ?

I personally think recruitment of trainees will continue during this period, no matter what the company name. The only problem will be what will happen to the training schools. At the moment all FCC drivers go to hornsey for classroom based work. And all southern ( gat ex as well) do all classroom and practical work at selhurst, will there be enough space at just one school or will they keep both running ( personally I think both will be kept as is ).

Pepperami

I hope the wait is not to long :(

Having passed everything I am now sat here twiddling my thumbs and I am no closer to getting a job with FCC than when I first applied :(

I really appreciate everything is up in the air, and I am sure once the dust settles, and once Oct/Nov this year is upon us, there might be some good news... its just hard knowing I have passed, but now there is no space for me on a training course as the Kings Cross and Blackfriars ones are all full :(

All good things come to those that wait .... hopefully :)

Last edited:

jamess115

I hope the wait is not to long :(

Having passed everything I am now sat here twiddling my thumbs and I am no closer to getting a job with FCC than when I first applied :(

I really appreciate everything is up in the air, and I am sure once the dust settles, and once Oct/Nov this year is upon us, there might be some good news... its just hard knowing I have passed, but now there is no space for me on a training course as the Kings Cross and Blackfriars ones are all full :(

All good things come to those that wait .... hopefully :)

I think this is how most of us feel mate and is certainly the worst time but keep the faith. If the company is growing, which it is, then it will need to keep recruiting and those in the pool will be looked at first.

Last edited:

Pepperami

Yeah I know mate, its just really hard

Trouble is, the email I got from them about 4 weeks ago said that we would be kept in the talent pool, and our results were good for three years, but have you tried approaching other TOCs with these results?

I though I would test the water, just incase this is going to take a lot longer than we think, and the results aren't good :(

I Emailed SWT as you cannot seem to contact them via phone regarding any of the vacancies they have on the website, and as I wanted to explain to them (and Southern) that I had already gained the passes required what would be the best options

SOUTH WEST TRAINS

Thank you for your response.
We are not recruiting for train drivers as we already have many applicants waiting in our recruiting process.
Please feel free to look at our website, www.southwesttrains.co.uk for any other position that may be of interest to you.

So, even though they have many applicants waiting in the recruitment process, they are unwilling or unable to look at someone that has already achieved the required qualifications :(

SOUTHERN RAILWAYS

Spoke to HR directly on the phone, and although they do advertise positions, they have many internal people that are trying to get into the train driving, so whilst it is possible for an external applicant to get in, reading between the lines, its not very likely, again even if you have passed all the tests, it makes no odds to them

So, for people like me, assuming that these tests and assessments would open the doors to other TOC's, in reality, it doesn't work like that which is a real shame :(

W230

Established Member
Yeah I know mate, its just really hard
You just have to sit tight and know that you'tr nearer the front of the queue when these jobs come up. And I think westcoaster is probably right - recruitment will carry on throughout it regardless I reckon also, just give them a chance! I don't think they'll be that much of a change - TL and GN still have their separate training academies for each side of the franchise despite FCC being "one company" so i'm sure it'll probably go on similarly now.

Westwood85

Anyone else get the email to say the talent pool was moving across, fingers crossed for a quick vacancy opportunity.

Westwood85

As far as I'm aware I've passed all the up to date tests so will sit and wait, not really any other depots advertising atm within reasonable commuting distance.

Polar

The new tests that have replaced the old ones within the last few years depends when you passed them.

rey89iceman

I didn't get an email regarding the talent pool moving across. I really hope we find out what is happening soon. The stress and effort from the process of getting through everything is worthy of at least being given some type of information!

Polar

Well things are definitely happening. :D
I got a phone call today offing me a position.

Last edited:

cfc2013

Me neither do u know the new email address? As I believe they've changed I was dealing with someone called claire

Polar

All the email addresses have changed to @gtrailway.com now.

Last edited:

cfc2013

Cheers for that mate will send an email to see bout Brighton or the depot drivers and again well done and gd luck

Status
Not open for further replies.