• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC Trainee Driver Wage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkwhite

How long would a trainee driver have to wait until full pay on average?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
Thanks

You get the full wage from the day you qualify, if your talking length of time as a trainee that can depend anywhere from 11 months through to 14 months.

newbie1000

I believe there is a course starting for kings cross in january but i could be wrong

W230

Established Member
Thanks
The newer qualified drivers i've spoken to on the TL route have said it's taken them anything between 11 months and 18 months. I think the longer ones were because there was no-one able to assess them but we've been told that there are now more assessors.

Around 13/14 months seems the norm though. I don't know if it's much different on the GN route.

A-driver

Established Member
The GN route will be quicker than the TL side as there is nothing to learn! Dead simple routes, no diversions etc, few yards and sidings. It's a train drivers dream really! The TL takes a lot longer as you have complicated core routes (probably more speeds on the Wimbledon loop than in the 78 miles from London and peterbourgh!) and you also have loads of diversions such as beckenham, crystal palace, Wallington, Lewes etc etc.

You can sign the GN in a week of assessments with a DM. Takes longer to sign everything on the TL.

toot toot

Im due to get passed out in december so that is exactly 12 months after i was employed by my toc.This can vary a little tho depending on available resources at the depot for example we have nine trainee drivers who all want qualified at the same time with only 2 dtm's to verify us all. Plus you might get doubled up with another trainee while your doing your driving hours under instruction,just a couple of things that can affect it.As far as pay goes your on trainee wages until you qualify then you build up to the top rate of pay over the year you are post qualified. I have heard that you are entitled to a pay rise if your in training for longer than 12 months but i dont know if there is any truth in that.

A-driver

Established Member
I have heard that you are entitled to a pay rise if your in training for longer than 12 months but i dont know if there is any truth in that.

That is an interesting point. I don't Know of it actually happening but have heard union reps claiming that if your training is delayed through no fault of your own (ie not enough DIs etc) then you can put in a claim for lost earnings. As far as I know it's not after a set time but if you start at the same time as another trainee driver and he passes out after 12 months and you do after 14 for example through no fault of your own (you were not on annual leave or off sick or constantly failing and re-sitting exams etc) then you could, in theory, claim 2 months of full pay.

toot toot

Ill maybe see the union rep about that if it comes to it then hopefully not cos i want to be out driving on my own soon.Im just in the door so not really wanting to kick up a fuss but if im going to be entitled to some wonga then its worth a try lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.