• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FCC (will be GTR Thameslink) via Clapham junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoaster

Established Member
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
All sorted out for diversionary purposes to Victoria (Eastern) - and for the cyclical blocks of maintenance - continengency management.

physics34

Established Member
3 or 4 years i suppose since southern gave its last 319s to FCC??

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
*doffs cap*

No mention of the locos that did the run yesterday as a test...

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
You seem to have forgotten that the 319's displaced the slammers on the former 04 headcode services to/from Brighton & Victoria aka Capital Coast Express.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
But why go such a tortuous and tortoise-like way round? The diversionary route via Crystal Palace and Herne Hill is already really slow, when London Bridge has to be avoided. This way round is bizarre !

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
But why go such a tortuous and tortoise-like way round? The diversionary route via Crystal Palace and Herne Hill is already really slow, when London Bridge has to be avoided. This way round is bizarre !

You are trying to think sensibly. This is the railway, where common sense isn't allowed. And if you are stupid enough to use it on the job, you get sacked for being clever, sensible and using your initiative. :roll:

IrishDave

Once London Bridge is shut for three years, all the Thameslink trains will have to go via Herne Hill and not London Bridge. It won't be a diversionary route, it'll just be the route. But what if you have to shut Herne Hill? I'd be surprised if they managed to go three years without ever closing Herne Hill for more than a few hours.

It makes sense to have a diversion available for that, and the shortest route from East Croydon to Blackfriars avoiding both London Bridge and Herne Hill is via Clapham Junction and the Brixton Spur, simple as that. And to me it's common sense to train the drivers in advance, even if it's only used as a contingency.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
(Beaten to it, but:)

During some (rapidly approaching) phase of the London Bridge rebuilding I believe it becomes impossible to run trains from Blackfriars to London Bridge at all. Without this new diversionary route, everything through the core has to go through Herne Hill and Tulse Hill, which simply doesn't work for night services: these will have to be shut for maintenance at least occasionally.

It doesn't actually look too bad timing wise - the northbound empty run today was timed East Croydon to Blackfriars in 39 minutes, including what looks to me like 8 minutes of pathing time between Pouparts Jn and Longhedge Jn, and another 5 between Factory Jn and Voltaire Road Jn. So comparable to the 30 minutes given via Crystal Palace for many services today, if the circumstances are right. [map of area]

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
You are trying to think sensibly. This is the railway, where common sense isn't allowed. And if you are stupid enough to use it on the job, you get sacked for being clever, sensible and using your initiative. :roll:

But hey, never let facts get in the way of a good rant...

21C101

Established Member
A handful of evening gatwick express services used to run via Selhurst, Streatham and Herne Hill to maintain route knowledge of diversionary routes.

You could tell which ones they were as they showed as taking about 45 minutes not 30 minutes.

I kew someone who went on one once. "we're lost" and "is it a mystery tour?" were among pax comments

Don't know if they still do it.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if there is more to this than a diversionary route. They are committed to running 4tph beyond Croydon offpeak from a years time despite london brdge being closed. The problem of couse is Herne Hill.

This problem disappears if you run two per hour via this mysterious route which closed to passengers 99 years ago.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
This explains why they recently relaid the track on the Brixton Spur then...

W230

Established Member
A 319 went via clapham junction today with staff and bods on to guage training requirements for upcoming diversions.

Also rare lines in passenger service Loughborough junction to Brixton junction.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O28751/2014/09/09/advanced elephant and castle to East Croydon

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O28752/2014/09/09/advanced East Croydon to blackfriars.
Wonder how many years since a 319 passed through clapham junction.
Are we going to be learning this additionally then? They stuck the Brixton Spur (Canterbury jcn) on my Victoria training in the end, which seemed sensible instead in times of contingencies instead of having to reverse at Herne Hill though I did wonder if it'll ever be used. Now they've randomly run a 319 down the slows from Vic E (or nearly, via Pouparts admittedly)?

I'd assumed Brighton drivers at least would learn this way in originally anyway (rather than the current Streatham Common - Streatham - Herne Hill - Brixton - Victoria E). but was told it wasn't happening.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This explains why they recently relaid the track on the Brixton Spur then...

No it doesn't. Completely unrelated.
Don't know if they still do it.

I wonder if there is more to this than a diversionary route. They are committed to running 4tph beyond Croydon offpeak from a years time despite london brdge being closed. The problem of couse is Herne Hill.

This problem disappears if you run two per hour via this mysterious route which closed to passengers 99 years ago.

Yes Gatex do go that way occasionally.

No there is no intention to run services this way except for planned engineering work at Tulse Hill / Herne Hill for mid week nights 4 weeks a year.

This route won't be used in the event of an incident at Tulse Hill / Herne Hill either. To use the route takes up paths on the Brighton fast lines through Clapham, and a single lead junction at Pouparts. Which would just spread the disruption further.

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member
Are we going to be learning this additionally then? They stuck the Brixton Spur (Canterbury jcn) on my Victoria training in the end, which seemed sensible instead in times of contingencies instead of having to reverse at Herne Hill though I did wonder if it'll ever be used. Now they've randomly run a 319 down the slows from Vic E (or nearly, via Pouparts admittedly)?

I'd assumed Brighton drivers at least would learn this way in originally anyway (rather than the current Streatham Common - Streatham - Herne Hill - Brixton - Victoria E). but was told it wasn't happening.

When I did mine we were not aloud to sign via Canterbury junction only the mains.
Latest it will only be one depot to sign the diversion either the PASS boys, or the city slickers :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What is this Brixton Spur? I'm confuzzled by the name, can't place preciseley where it is. Sounds potentially required track...

user15681

Established Member
What is this Brixton Spur? I'm confuzzled by the name, can't place preciseley where it is. Sounds potentially required track...

The Brixton Spurs run from Canterbury Road Jn to Loughborough Jn. Essentially, they make up the triangle around Loughborough Junction station. Nothing passenger runs over the spur, it's only used regularly for a couple of SE ECS runs between Victoria and Cannon Street.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Brixton Spurs run from Canterbury Road Jn to Loughborough Jn. Essentially, they make up the triangle around Loughborough Junction station. Nothing passenger runs over the spur, it's only used regularly for a couple of ECS runs between Victoria and Cannon Street.

Ooh nice, definitely need that track. Shall have to wait for the diversions to potentially happen then :)

Cheers for the gen :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It was always anticipated that these diversions would see notable patronage by those carrying track maps and highlighter pens.

LBSCR Times

No it doesn't. Completely unrelated.
This route won't be used in the event of an incident at Tulse Hill / Herne Hill either. To use the route takes up paths on the Brighton fast lines through Clapham, and a single lead junction at Pouparts. Which would just spread the disruption further.

If it is a Bedford driver going northbound, or a Brighton driver going southbound, and they sign the route, then they will do!

hassaanhc

Established Member
319436 was out on this today, seen around 1330 stopped between Clapham Junction and Battersea Park.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If it is a Bedford driver going northbound, or a Brighton driver going southbound, and they sign the route, then they will do!

Only if they choose to ignore the red signals and/or can miraculously move the points themselves.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
From comments on this thread it sounds to me like there might not be enough drivers that sign it (<-- ?) for it to feature as a real option in the contingency repertoire, even before considering the potential congestion disaster at Clapham.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.