• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Feltham and Wokingham Resignalling

Goldfish62

Established Member
It will be nice to finally get rail services back at the weekend.

We've had a good couple of years of rail replacement buses most weekends - even this weekend just gone.

Whilst I understand work needs to be done, it has been a major inconvenience.
Unfortunately there's no let up throughout March with closures either affecting Bracknell - Reading or Ascot - Staines every weekend except one.

I'd hoped that other routine engineering work could have coincided with the weekly closures for resignalling, but it seems not.

If it needs doing then obviously it has to be done, but it's little wonder that passenger numbers are struggling to recover on Reading line services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuving

Unfortunately there's no let up throughout March with closures either affecting Bracknell - Reading or Ascot - Staines every weekend except one.
Indeed - a quick look (so no guarantees) shows that you've still got a bit to wait for that!

No trains on 2/3 March
Trains do run 9/10 March, though on 10th not past Guildford
No trains 17th March
Trains do run 23/24 March, though on 24th not past Ascot
Trains do run 30/31 March, though on 31st not past Ash and fewer trains to Waterloo
Trains do run 6/7 April, though on 7th not past Guildford
Trains do run 13/14 April, though not past Guildford
No trains 21st April
Finally, on 27/28 April, a weekend with both services through Wokingham running!

Last edited:

Mark J

I'd hoped that other routine engineering work could have coincided with the weekly closures for resignalling, but it seems not.

If it needs doing then obviously it has to be done, but it's little wonder that passenger numbers are struggling to recover on Reading line services.
It really is becoming a joke. The people of Wokingham and Bracknell have had a rough deal over the last few years, with most weekends having no rail service.

As a gesture, fares should be frozen for this year, due to the ongoing inconvenience.

As you say it is affecting passenger numbers. I now actively avoid using this line now, as I'm fed up with rail replacement buses most weekend. When services return to normal, I will look at return to using services. If I pay for a rail fare, I usually expect a train, not a bus, for which th Reading Buses x4 and 4 bus routes already covers.
Indeed - a quick look (so no guarantees) shows that you've still got a bit to wait for that!

No trains on 2/3 March
Trains do run 9/10 March, though on 10th not past Guildford
No trains 17th March
Trains do run 23/24 March, though on 24th not past Ascot
Trains do run 30/31 March, though on 31st not past Ash and fewer trains to Waterloo
Trains do run 6/7 April, though on 7th not past Guildford
Trains do run 13/14 April, though GWR not past Guildford
No trains 21st April
Finally, on 217/28 April, a weekend with both service through Wokingham running!
Is there any estimated timeframe as to when we can expect a full working weekend service?

On Moderation
It really is becoming a joke. The people of Wokingham and Bracknell have had a rough deal over the last few years, with most weekends having no rail service.

As a gesture, fares should be frozen for this year, due to the ongoing inconvenience.
It’s actually worse than that. There’s longer journey times (the three minutes previously added just in autumn is now year round), shorter trains, services increasingly downgraded to inner suburban 455 stock and ever increasing fares despite the drop in quality.

3973EXL

Established Member
Wokingham 26/02 - replacement footbridge from passing train.

V between Guildford & Waterloo lines was used for materials during junction renewal.

Attachments

• DSC02408.JPG
    DSC02408.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • DSC02411.JPG
    DSC02411.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 62

lawried123

As you say it is affecting passenger numbers. I now actively avoid using this line now, as I'm fed up with rail replacement buses most weekend. When services return to normal, I will look at return to using services. If I pay for a rail fare, I usually expect a train, not a bus, for which th Reading Buses x4 and 4 bus routes already covers

Ive stopped using trains from Wokingham to Waterloo as it's now only hourly in the evenings. After a concert finishing at about 2125, I have no wish to wait at at Waterloo until 2220 for a train that then doesn't arrive at Wokingham till nearly 23:30. The hourly service on such a slow line is a bad combination.

Lawrie

Mark J

It’s actually worse than that. There’s longer journey times (the three minutes previously added just in autumn is now year round), shorter trains, services increasingly downgraded to inner suburban 455 stock and ever increasing fares despite the drop in quality.
SWR should be held to account for running Class 455 between Waterloo and Reading.

Just because 'Crossrail can get away with running toilet-less trains', does not mean SWR should be doing so on long routes, of over an hour in duration.

Ive stopped using trains from Wokingham to Waterloo as it's now only hourly in the evenings. After a concert finishing at about 2125, I have no wish to wait at at Waterloo until 2220 for a train that then doesn't arrive at Wokingham till nearly 23:30. The hourly service on such a slow line is a bad combination.

Lawrie
I didn't realise this was now the case.

I've also not understood why certain stations need a half hourly service all throughout the day.

Surely one way of speeding up Reading to Waterloo services is to cut out some of the stations along the way.

Do Earley, Winnersh Triangle, Winnersh, Martins Heron and even Sunningdale really need a half hourly service? Surely once an hour would be sufficient - as long as first and last trains of the day call at all.

Although in the past, services beyond Wokingham to Reading were 'fast' on the last service of the day.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've also not understood why certain stations need a half hourly service all throughout the day.
Do Earley, Winnersh Triangle, Winnersh, Martins Heron and even Sunningdale really need a half hourly service? Surely once an hour would be sufficient - as long as first and last trains of the day call
Of course they do! Martins Heron and Sunningdale used to have four trains an hour for several hours on weekdays.

How many more service cuts do you propose across the network?

Mark J

Of course they do! Martins Heron and Sunningdale used to have four trains an hour for several hours on weekdays.

How many more service cuts do you propose across the network?
Sorry.

Martin's Heron does not need an hourly service, particularly at weekends and during off-peak hours.

I live around one of the stations I previously mentioned. I would not be adverse to a once an hour train at weekends, if meant a more reliable service and quicker journey into Waterloo.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Sorry.

Martin's Heron does not need an hourly service, particularly at weekends and during off-peak hours.

I live around one of the stations I previously mentioned. I would not be adverse to a once an hour train at weekends, if meant a more reliable and quicker journey into Waterloo.
I also use that station and cutting the service by 50% would push me into my car. I would give up on the railways end of. I'd also give up my part time job in London, which has variable finish times.

How would cutting the service from half hourly to hourly make it quicker and more reliable?

I assume you don't use it much because if you did you'd see how busy the station can be at weekends. Indeed, the regular ticket office bloke says Saturday and Sunday are his busiest days.

davews

When they tried to reduce Martins Heron to hourly a few years ago the local councillors were up in arms and the decision was reversed. Don't try and do it again (though of course we now have a Labour council so maybe their views are different...)

On Moderation
Do Earley, Winnersh Triangle, Winnersh, Martins Heron and even Sunningdale really need a half hourly service?
Yes, they do need such a service. An hourly service would be pretty much unusable.

TEW

Established Member
SWR should be held to account for running Class 455 between Waterloo and Reading.

Just because 'Crossrail can get away with running toilet-less trains', does not mean SWR should be doing so on long routes, of over an hour in duration.
It's all well and good saying that but the current stock situation on SWR is such that if you were to ban 455s from running on Reading services, you'd be looking at splitting the formations in half to maintain the timetable. Nobody is saying it's ideal, but a 4-car 450 wouldn't be much better, it would be so busy for much of the journey you would struggle to reach the toilet anyway.