• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fenny Stratford - Leicester 25th January

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am trying to work out a fare for a return journey from Fenny Stratford to Leicester on the 25th of January. The available fares seem really expensive!

I need a ticket for 2 aduklts and one child plus one child under 3. We have a family railcard.

I am easy on routes but would like to arrive around 13:00 and leave around 17:45. I have tried all my usual trick ( ok via nuneaton and Bedford!) but i am really struggling price wise. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I realise it is short notice but................

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Have u looked at the X7? Milton Keynes - Leicester bus?

Run by Stagecoach and £18.50 for a group dayrider (2 adults & up to 3 children).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Have u looked at the X7? Milton Keynes - Leicester bus?

Run by Stagecoach and £18.50 for a group dayrider (2 adults & up to 3 children).

yes but it is a long journey with no breaks by bus - at least the train you get some fresh air while waiting at the station. I would use it myself but not with the kids.

sonic2009

Established Member
Okay point taken, what have you found so far?

I've found a combination for £35 via Nuneaton.

Romilly

Established Member
Buying tickets for 2 adults and 1 child, with your railcard, I can see the following:

Advance: Fenny Stratford to Nuneaton £12.10 (on 1011, changing at Bletchley and Milton Keynes Central, and arriving at 1153).

Offpeak Day return: Nuneaton to Leicester £16.50 (outward on 1223 arriving 1249, back on 1748 arriving 1807)

Advance: Nuneaton to Fenny Stratford £7.60 (on 1836, arriving 2004)

Total: £36.20 (you could shave a couple of pounds off this by using Advances between Nuneaton and Leicester, but that would involve waiting 59 minutes at Nuneaton on the outward journey).

Alternatively:
Fenny Stratford to Wellingborough (via Bedford): anytime day return: £19
Wellingborough to Leicester: offpeak day return: £23
Total: £42

These fares compare with a £52.05 Fenny Stratford to Leicester offpeak return (via Not London).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Unfortunately with walk-on tickets, the split at Wellingborough is likely to be as good as you're gonna get, without involving a massive loophole ticket. You're also not losing out by much in terms of choice of departures as only the hourly stopper calls at Bedford.

The through ticket is a useful one for splitting in the morning peak, but not so good value during off-peak hours.

yes but it is a long journey with no breaks by bus - at least the train you get some fresh air while waiting at the station. I would use it myself but not with the kids.

What about either the X5 bus to Bedford or driving to Bedford and getting the train from there

Status
Not open for further replies.