• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Festive ticket punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
I hope you didn't intend to return and get another single ticket. I had a stamp the other day that didn't stamp properly and made it look more like a phallus than what it was supposed to be.

tsr

Established Member
I've got a few different clippers with festive shapes, my favourite being a Christmas tree, though it's not quite as fancy as the ones in the photos on this thread! Most of the novelty paper and card punches you can find in stationery shops or on Amazon can be ordered in the right size, but they don't all clip through ticket stock terribly well, so you have to be quite careful which ones you pick.

I believe some TOCs are stricter than others when it comes to which clippers you're allowed. As a result there is no nationwide standard, and plenty of guards are free to use their own varieties, which I personally quite like! :) There used to be different shapes which were very much regional, even job-specific (barrier staff vs travelling ticket examiners, for example).

There are, however, nuances which still apply to which sides you clip the ticket on, depending what message you intend to pass on to other staff who may see the ticket. The best-known of these probably being two clips at either end of the magstripe - look for the excess fare coupon or start asking questions!

skifans

I've got a few different clippers with festive shapes, my favourite being a Christmas tree, though it's not quite as fancy as the ones in the photos on this thread! Most of the novelty paper and card punches you can find in stationery shops or on Amazon can be ordered in the right size, but they don't all clip through ticket stock terribly well, so you have to be quite careful which ones you pick.

I believe some TOCs are stricter than others when it comes to which clippers you're allowed. As a result there is no nationwide standard, and plenty of guards are free to use their own varieties, which I personally quite like! :) There used to be different shapes which were very much regional, even job-specific (barrier staff vs travelling ticket examiners, for example).

There are, however, nuances which still apply to which sides you clip the ticket on, depending what message you intend to pass on to other staff who may see the ticket. The best-known of these probably being two clips at either end of the magstripe - look for the excess fare coupon or start asking questions!
I had no idea about these hidden extra meanings, but it seems obvious with hindsight. Could you maybe make a post with some other examples.

cf111

Established Member
I've had one that was in the shape of a wee steam locomotive before which I thought was quite nice. I don't know if Scotrail guards are issued with ticket punches these days as the vast majority use pens or markers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I had no idea about these hidden extra meanings, but it seems obvious with hindsight. Could you maybe make a post with some other examples.

Probably best to use your imagination; it's best that this kind of thing doesn't get into the public domain because if it does it loses its effectiveness.

Confused147

I've had one that was in the shape of a wee steam locomotive before which I thought was quite nice. I don't know if Scotrail guards are issued with ticket punches these days as the vast majority use pens or markers.

Ticket punches are better because if a marker is used then wannabe ticket dodgers can use a wet cloth to rub the marker out.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I used to have a big collection of different clippers but as we have Paper Tickets they ended up being not fit for purpose which is sad as it was fun especially for the kids.

rebmcr

Established Member
Probably best to use your imagination; it's best that this kind of thing doesn't get into the public domain because if it does it loses its effectiveness.

Not really, punching a hole is non-reversible. The only possible vulnerability in the system is if an extra hole were somehow more permissive.

Sprinter153

At GWR we were instructed not to punch holes in tickets because it apparently indicates that the ticket has been completely used to the extent of its validity.... Obviously that doesn't apply to the TOCs that issue punches or have a small punch on their Zifa stamps! :rolleyes:

Also we're not allowed to mark tickets with a pen, to be marked with Zifa only, on the reverse of the ticket in the endorsement box!

tgrb

Being dumb here - what is a zifa?

My GWR TM used a biro on mine today... on the front!

Sprinter153

Being dumb here - what is a zifa?

My GWR TM used a biro on mine today... on the front!

It's a mechanical stamp device that leaves a mark like this (though usually comprising of date, headcode and individual user ID)
abdruck_01.gif

waynemorrell

View attachment 40265
Yes, there is a window on the side where the date and headcode can be set using a provided stylus. The individual user ID cannot be changed for obvious reasons.

Here is a couple of examples. Both VTWC services.

Image resized; original was over 3,000 x 4,000 pixels

Attachments

• ticket.png
    ticket.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a quick note about images: we do welcome these, but please resize them first using an image editor (there are many free ones, such as Paint.net) or an image resizing website (e.g. http://www.picresize.com/ ) before you upload or link to them. A suitable size may be around 300 to 600 pixels wide (depending on what it is you are showing). You may also want to crop the image too. Thanks :)

AndyPJG

Got this train-shaped one on... either the East Midlands Ely-Nottingham or Northern Nottingham-Sheffield train, can't seem to remember which one at this point!

Same punch as I had to keep kids amused on miniature railways. Range of them available for decorative card craft, but not particularly heavy duty. About £3 on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.