• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FEVE Network Ferrol to Oviedo-Gijon

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
FEVE Network Ferrol to Oviedo-Gijon, Does anyone know if this section of line is operating next week, or is there rail replacement buses on any of the sections?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I remember seeing posters discussing upcoming rail replacement buses on part of this line when I travelled over it last month. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and can't remember the exact dates, but I'd check just to be sure.

dutchflyer

Established Member
I think at least half of this line has no feasible roads even more or less parrallel to allow repl. bus. But I assume your aim will be to do it complete without even the smallest of gaps due to works. Bring food+drink if you manage-its just a tram with a loo inside and nothing else.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think at least half of this line has no feasible roads even more or less parrallel to allow repl. bus. But I assume your aim will be to do it complete without even the smallest of gaps due to works. Bring food+drink if you manage-its just a tram with a loo inside and nothing else.
Yes, the posters indicated that the rail replacement buses wouldn't serve all stations.

The trains are rather spartan and you'll likely have to swap units half way through the journey at Ribadeo even if the train is shown as a "direct" service (this half-truth seems to be a FEVE speciality!). But the views are amazing and make up for all of that.

Here's a few pictures to illustrate:IMG_20230427_232506.jpgIMG_20230427_232454.jpgIMG_20230427_232551.jpg

P Binnersley

According to the ADIF (network operator) Engineering web page:
Due to infrastructure improvement works, between April 10 and 30 the circulation of the Ferrol-Cudillero line between Ferrol and Ribadeo will be interrupted. An alternative transport plan has been established with road transfers between both stations.
This is not reflected in the RENFE online timetable.

The line should be back to normal on Monday (1sr May).

Its a lovely ride, but I would recommend breaking the journey overnight in Ribadeo.

shredder1

Established Member
I remember seeing posters discussing upcoming rail replacement buses on part of this line when I travelled over it last month. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures and can't remember the exact dates, but I'd check just to be sure.
I did the section from Oviedo to Ferrol in February, all on bus, so missed the entire line

Thank you, yes I still need the line

Yes, the posters indicated that the rail replacement buses wouldn't serve all stations.

The trains are rather spartan and you'll likely have to swap units half way through the journey at Ribadeo even if the train is shown as a "direct" service (this half-truth seems to be a FEVE speciality!). But the views are amazing and make up for all of that.

Here's a few pictures to illustrate:View attachment 133993View attachment 133994View attachment 133995

Thank you yes I did the bus replacement in February, it largely followed the line, but didnt serve all stations of course.

According to the ADIF (network operator) Engineering web page:

This is not reflected in the RENFE online timetable.

The line should be back to normal on Monday (1sr May).

Its a lovely ride, but I would recommend breaking the journey overnight in Ribadeo.
Oh that would be fantastic, thank you, I fly into Porto on wednesday 3rd, so Ill get a train up to Ferrol and fingers crossed get through to Gijon all by various trains. I remember Ribadea from the bus, it looked quite an amazing location.

calopez

When I did the Ferrol line a few years ago, we broke our journey at O Barqueiro on the way back to Gijon. Lovely little place, like a Cornish fishing village!

Another issue to note is that the broad gauge RENFE service to Ferrol is decidedly sparse and will take some careful planning if coming up from Porto. I ended up staying in Ferrol, which I would' not commend - it is a rather run down dockyard city. Ribadeo is lovely - I got a very reasonable rate in the Parador there which overlooks the estuary.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Another issue to note is that the broad gauge RENFE service to Ferrol is decidedly sparse and will take some careful planning if coming up from Porto. I ended up staying in Ferrol, which I would' not commend - it is a rather run down dockyard city. Ribadeo is lovely - I got a very reasonable rate in the Parador there which overlooks the estuary.
Aside from the major corridors (mostly to and from Madrid), just about every RENFE service is decidedly sparse. Many secondary lines only have one train a day that traverses its entire length, with perhaps a couple of short workings at the start and end of day at either end. It makes the Far North Line timetable look generous!

They also have no concept whatsoever of clockface timetables.

Last edited:

HS2isgood

Yeah, you can go from Porto to Ferrol in a day, but changing at Vigo Guixar and A Coruña. From Porto to Vigo there is two fasts a day, you want to catch the morning direct fast, 8.13 AM from Porto Campanhã. You can buy tickets at Campanhã or the Renfe web, don't ask at São Bento because they can't sell international tickets. I'd avoid the morning stopper (6.15 AM from São Bento). It's too early, slow and requires 2 changes at Nine and Valença. The fast is always a 592 from Renfe, running on lease for CP.

From Vigo to Coruña you have a roughly hourly service, running every other hour from each Vigo station. The fasts are ran by 121 EMU's from Vigo-Urzáiz, well-used and with terribly slow loading times so they're always late. The slows detour from the high-speed line a few times, run from Vigo-Guixar with 599 DMUs and are slightly more punctual because they have less passengers (but still load well).

From A Coruña to Ferrol there's 5 trains a day. The morning Madrid train costs a higher fare, it's a scam, the three stoppers are ran by 594 DMU's and always empty, because they're slow so people just take the bus. There's a late evening Madrid train that only calls at both Betanzos stops and Pontedeume, ran by a 730 hybrid bigauge unit at the regional fare.

From Ferrol, the service to Oviedo is largely bad. East of the end of the commuter zone at Ortigueira, there's just 2 services to Oviedo and 2 short-turns to Ribadeo. The trip to Oviedo takes 7:22-7:35 hours, is often late and usually swaps units at Ribadeo. It's usually an unreliable 2900 west of Ribadeo and a 2400 east. If you're going to Gijón it's a change at Pravia for a stopper to Gijón. Obviously, this is FEVE, so the regional stops at every useless halt, and there's a million flag stops no one uses.

shredder1

Established Member
Update: bustitution until May 5th
Oh crap, change of plans then,

Yeah, you can go from Porto to Ferrol in a day, but changing at Vigo Guixar and A Coruña. From Porto to Vigo there is two fasts a day, you want to catch the morning direct fast, 8.13 AM from Porto Campanhã. You can buy tickets at Campanhã or the Renfe web, don't ask at São Bento because they can't sell international tickets. I'd avoid the morning stopper (6.15 AM from São Bento). It's too early, slow and requires 2 changes at Nine and Valença. The fast is always a 592 from Renfe, running on lease for CP.

From Vigo to Coruña you have a roughly hourly service, running every other hour from each Vigo station. The fasts are ran by 121 EMU's from Vigo-Urzáiz, well-used and with terribly slow loading times so they're always late. The slows detour from the high-speed line a few times, run from Vigo-Guixar with 599 DMUs and are slightly more punctual because they have less passengers (but still load well).

From A Coruña to Ferrol there's 5 trains a day. The morning Madrid train costs a higher fare, it's a scam, the three stoppers are ran by 594 DMU's and always empty, because they're slow so people just take the bus. There's a late evening Madrid train that only calls at both Betanzos stops and Pontedeume, ran by a 730 hybrid bigauge unit at the regional fare.

From Ferrol, the service to Oviedo is largely bad. East of the end of the commuter zone at Ortigueira, there's just 2 services to Oviedo and 2 short-turns to Ribadeo. The trip to Oviedo takes 7:22-7:35 hours, is often late and usually swaps units at Ribadeo. It's usually an unreliable 2900 west of Ribadeo and a 2400 east. If you're going to Gijón it's a change at Pravia for a stopper to Gijón. Obviously, this is FEVE, so the regional stops at every useless halt, and there's a million flag stops no one uses.
Thanks very much for that

Well I'm in the hotel in Ferrol, still a bus service tomorrow and it has been suggest June now before FEVE get running so that's that, might as well head back into Portugal and try again next year at some point. I was on the 08.23 from Porto this morning and both changes went well, I arrived onto Ferrol at 16.20. I belive the bus is going someway towards Gijon in the morning but not sure how far,????

Last edited:

HS2isgood

There's a FEVE bus departing Ferrol 0705 bound for Ribadeo. It takes 4 hours and 13 minutes to get to Ribadeo. There's also a 1420 bus. Connections at Ribadeo are guaranteed into the train to Oviedo. Only the morning service does have a safe connection to Gijón, just change at Pravia. Don't trust the FEVE website, it shows the train timetables instead of the buses. Arrival to Oviedo is 1542. Arrival to Gijón is 1618. If the train is over 26 minutes late it may be better to change at Oviedo, then take a broad-gauge local, arriving 1718 at Gijón. It's a long trip either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.