• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ffestiniog Round Robin Rover - Great Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad8459

Had a mad idea to travel from Porthmadog to Blaenau on the narrow gauge railway after arriving from Shrewsbury and returning home to the Wirral via Llandudno and Chester - on doing some digging trying to plan my route came across this ticket on the ATW website that isn't featured on the National Rail Rovers page - its valid to Manchester - Liverpool - Birmingham and Crewe and gives you a single trip along the Ffestiniog - exactly what i was thinking - says valid until 10th October at the price of £39 or £44 - cant find out what the difference in price is (am assuming from the map - its the higher price from Birmingham or Manchester or Liverpool)
Anyway - before finding this with a single ticket on the Ffestiniog - i was looking at a price of £71 for the little trip from Chester to Shrewbury to Porthmadog (takes 3hrs 21 minutes on this fantastic Cambrian line) to Blaenau to Llandudno to Chester - so much cheaper on this ticket - the 158 journey sounds arduous, too much to hope its a 37 on the day!! ha!

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/rovers-and-rangers/ --- INFO

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk...ket_Description/Ffestiniog Round Robin LG.pdf --- MAP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
It is indeed great value,
I think there are one or two others missing, e.g. Heart of Wales...

Nomad8459

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr259c57c35ce74100506efaeed80267.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/promotions/Heart_of_Wales_Circular_Ranger.pdf

Heart of Wales Circular day trip can be had for £39 it seems on that ticket - its also worth mentioning that the round robin has no peak restrictions as far as i can tell - neither has the North Wales day rover which is £38 and covers a very similar area to the round robin minus the Ffestiniog and without the extensions to Liverpool, Manchester or Birmingham

Last edited:

kje7812

Had a mad idea to travel from Porthmadog to Blaenau on the narrow gauge railway after arriving from Shrewsbury and returning home to the Wirral via Llandudno and Chester - on doing some digging trying to plan my route came across this ticket on the ATW website that isn't featured on the National Rail Rovers page - its valid to Manchester - Liverpool - Birmingham and Crewe and gives you a single trip along the Ffestiniog - exactly what i was thinking - says valid until 10th October at the price of £39 or £44 - cant find out what the difference in price is (am assuming from the map - its the higher price from Birmingham or Manchester or Liverpool)
Anyway - before finding this with a single ticket on the Ffestiniog - i was looking at a price of £71 for the little trip from Chester to Shrewbury to Porthmadog (takes 3hrs 21 minutes on this fantastic Cambrian line) to Blaenau to Llandudno to Chester - so much cheaper on this ticket - the 158 journey sounds arduous, too much to hope its a 37 on the day!! ha!

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/rovers-and-rangers/ --- INFO

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Arriva_Trains_Wales/Content/Travelling_with_Us/Explore_Wales/Ticket_Description/Ffestiniog Round Robin LG.pdf --- MAP
Yep, I've done it with some friends in the past from the West Midlands (we got the ATW service at Smethwick Galton Bridge). I think when we did it we were able to get railcard discount on it, even though ATW website says not available.
Edit, just photo prove we did get railcard discount on it.

Nomad8459

kje7812

It says on ATW that railcard discounts are indeed available which made me just drop my jaw! with a railcard also - well what a deal !
When I follow the above link I see the follow:
Ffestiniog Round Robin
The Ffestiniog Railway and Arriva Trains Wales offer a Round Robin ticket in North Wales.

Click here to view the Ffestiniog Round Robin Ticket Map

Adult Child Railcard
Ffestiniog Round Robin £39.00 - £44.00 £19.50-£22.00 Not available

Which would suggest it doesn't apply, when in fact I've done it with one before.

EDIT: However the terms and conditions page says you can use them.

Peakrider

If you are planning a ride out to Mid & North Wales from the Wirral Saturday or Sunday - its worth noting that £8 return from Birkenhead will get you to Wrexham and from there the FREE weekend T3 Traws Cymru bus runs to Dolgellau (and onto Barmouth). At Dolgellau it connects with the FREE T2 Trawscymru up to Porthmadog for connections onto the Ffestiniog or WHR. You may pick up a cheap advance ticket for the ride back to Chester along the North Wales coast if you can't face all those free buses again!
The bus rides are spectacular BTW.
Just a thought.

Roy Webster

Doing this route clockwise from Manchester Piccadilly on July 3. Unfortunately its a bus service between Blaenau and Llandudno Junction until probably the end of July. Definitely can use railcards. We are travelling on the 7.30 from Piccadilly and returning on the 18.53 from Llandudno Junction. Only restriction on railcards is you can't use the 2 together until the 9.31 out of Manchester so anybody with one of these would probably have to get the 19.46 from Llandudno Junction. In theory you could get the 18.53 but connection time with the Blaenau train is only 7 minutes.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Doing this route clockwise from Manchester Piccadilly on July 3. Unfortunately its a bus service between Blaenau and Llandudno Junction until probably the end of July. Definitely can use railcards. We are travelling on the 7.30 from Piccadilly and returning on the 18.53 from Llandudno Junction. Only restriction on railcards is you can't use the 2 together until the 9.31 out of Manchester so anybody with one of these would probably have to get the 19.46 from Llandudno Junction. In theory you could get the 18.53 but connection time with the Blaenau train is only 7 minutes.

Rail service to Llanrwst is hoped to return in two weeks time, through service to Blaenau a week afterward (so said a TfW representative at a drop-in event at Llanrwst recently). But you're out of luck for tomorrow, I'm afraid.

Roy Webster

Rail service to Llanrwst is hoped to return in two weeks time, through service to Blaenau a week afterward (so said a TfW representative at a drop-in event at Llanrwst recently). But you're out of luck for tomorrow, I'm afraid.
Thanks, unfortunately it has to be tomorrow, maybe I will do it again next year.

Roy Webster

Just a thought Krus, I am going clockwise, do I have to change at Minffordd or can I stay on Transport for Wales train to Porthmadog and start the Ffestiniog leg there.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just a thought Krus, I am going clockwise, do I have to change at Minffordd or can I stay on Transport for Wales train to Porthmadog and start the Ffestiniog leg there.
I have the reverse sort of question - is it permissible to make a journey from Pwllheli to Birmingham/Manchester etc. (i.e. one of the "extension" legs) via the Ffestiniog on this ticket? I assume it would be OK but I'm not sure.

krus_aragon

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, yes. The terms of the Round Robin ticket according to both National Rail and TfW state (my emphasis):
Ffestiniog Round Robin offers a circular journey in either direction around the circuit ... on Transport for Wales services, plus a single journey on the Ffestiniog Railway in the direction of travel.
There's nothing that says that the single journey has to start from Minffordd. (Equally, there's nothing to say that someone doing the Round Robin fron Pwllheli has to travel by TfW to Minffordd, as opposed to changing at Porthmadog.) Just bear in mind that you'll have to walk across town if you choose to change at Porthmadog.

I have the reverse sort of question - is it permissible to make a journey from Pwllheli to Birmingham/Manchester etc. (i.e. one of the "extension" legs) via the Ffestiniog on this ticket? I assume it would be OK but I'm not sure.
Technically, no. The conditions state:
Valid for one journey around the designated circuit in either direction, starting and ending at the same station.
If you've bought the ticket in advance, once you get to Porthmadog you could be on the "return" leg of your circular route as far as any member of staff knows, but on the Pwllheli-Porthmadog leg, you'd be hard-pressed to explain why you had bought the more expensive Birmingham/Manchester version if you were starting at Pwllheli. I'd recommend buying a £5.50 single from PWL-PTM to avoid any such queries.

Belperpete

Established Member
Changing at Porthmadog is definitely the better option, if you have the time for it. You will get a better choice of seat, plus you will get to do the full FR journey (and the views while crossing the Cob of Snowdon and the Glaslyn Estuary can be spectacular). However, as Krus points out, the two stations are at opposite ends of town, so I would allow about half an hour to walk it and give you plenty of time to board the FR train. It can be done quicker, if you are a brisk walker, and the pavements aren't full of throngs of tourists, or you know your way through the back streets.

It may be worth thinking about a first-class upgrade on the FR. I think this costs £8 one way, and gives you a seat in the observation car. Obtainable from the FR booking office at Porthmadog, or from the guard if you board at Minffordd (if there are any seats left in the obs).

Roy Webster

Thanks for the answers everybody.
I would like to do the whole length from Porthmadog but we only have 44 minutes and I don't know the route and am not a quick walker.
Does anyone know if there are taxis available at the TFW station?

0B00

I would like to do the whole length from Porthmadog but we only have 44 minutes and I don't know the route and am not a quick walker.
No taxi rank but local taxis can be booked ahead - Dukes 01766 514799, B&M 01766 770851, Castle Cabs 01766 522695.
Depending on what time you arrive at the main line station you can also catch buses 3, 3B, S97 or T2 from the TfW station down the High Street 2 stops to get nearer Harbour Station (FR).

The ticket is valid to travel via Porthmadog and not just Minffordd.

Last edited:

Roy Webster

Thanks very much 0B00 for all that info.
I will see if I can find bus timetables and if not I will try booking a taxi about half an hour before we are due - If the TfW train is on time of course.

0B00

Thanks very much 0B00 for all that info.
I will see if I can find bus timetables and if not I will try booking a taxi about half an hour before we are due - If the TfW train is on time of course.
What time are you arriving in Porthmadog? With a 44 minutes connection I'm guessing on the 1251 arrival? There is a service 3 (Arriva) from across the road at 1259 towards the town centre.

Last edited:

Roy Webster

Thanks again 0B00, Spot on 12.51. If we look as if we are going to be on time I will aim for the No 3.

lyndhurst25. Thanks for that info. I followed your link and it showed I could buy the ticket and use it from my local station. Unfortunately we are going tomorrow so too late as the ticket office won't be open at 06.22 when we get our train.
I suppose I could get a promise to pay ticket from the platform machine and then see if the ticket guy on the local train can sell us the Round Robin ticket.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks again 0B00, Spot on 12.51. If we look as if we are going to be on time I will aim for the No 3.

lyndhurst25. Thanks for that info. I followed your link and it showed I could buy the ticket and use it from my local station. Unfortunately we are going tomorrow so too late as the ticket office won't be open at 06.22 when we get our train.
I suppose I could get a promise to pay ticket from the platform machine and then see if the ticket guy on the local train can sell us the Round Robin ticket.
Yes, definitely worth doing that.

krus_aragon

Established Member

If the local guard can't find the ticket, it may help them to know that the code for the Ffestiniog Round Robin is J293 (as seen in the URL @lyndhurst25 gave).

Belperpete

Established Member
Unless you are a particularly slow walker, 44 minutes should be adequate. Google maps claims it takes about 15 minutes, but you would have to walk very quickly to do it in that. I seem to recall the FR advising 25 minutes. It is not a complicated walk: turn right on leaving the station onto the main road towards Tesco, and keep going past Tesco toward the main roundabout. At the roundabout, head up the High Street with all the shops, and keep going past the shops toward the Shell filling station until you reach the FR station.

If you catch the bus, as suggested by 0B00, when leaving the station you need to ignore the bus stop immediately outside the station (that is for buses heading out of town). Cross the main road and turn right toward Tesco - the bus stop you want is outside a large stone building (the old telephone exchange). Beware that as the bus is reaching the end of its journey, it often runs early, or late! When the bus gets into town, it may well do a little circular tour of the back streets so that it lets you off at the stop ready for its return journey, in which case it will be facing in the opposite direction to the FR station. So when you get off, you need to head away from the town centre with the Australia Inn on your left and the Park on your right, toward the Shell filling station, and you will find the FR station on the right.

If in doubt, there should be plenty of people to ask - just be clear to ask for the Ffestiniog Railway, not for the railway station or you may well be directed back to where you started from!

Roy Webster

Thanks Belperpete for your very concise instructions. I will log on tomorrow and let you all know how we went on.

Roy Webster

Hello all, it was a really enjoyable day with brilliant weather. The ticket guy on our local couldn't find the Ffestiniog Round Robin ticket even with the code you supplied.

Bought our tickets from the ticket office at Piccadilly station and after buying a bacon barm and coffee we made our way to platform 11 for a 7.30 departure. Knowing we didn't have a lot of time between connections we also bought a Meal Deal to have enroute from Shrewsbury. There were a lot of people waiting for the 7.30 so when I saw 2 car 150 I feared the worst. Fortunately we got adjacent forward facing seats and although there were many standing more got off at Stockport than got on and then after Wilmslow nobody needed to stand.

The train was a TfW 150, one of whose engines was obviously struggling. The engine cut out each time the train stopped and at Wilmslow the guard announced we were only running on one engine and losing time so we would change trains at Crewe. Only a short (15 minute) wait at Crewe and a 175 turned up already half full. My mate and I managed to get forward facing adjacent seats and nobody seemed to be standing, so all was well.

Even with the delay we still had 30 minutes at Shrewsbuy. Our train to Porthmadog was scheduled to leave platform 5 at 9.30. I knew that the train originated from Birmingham International so was surprised to see a two car 158 already in the platform with its engines running but doors closed. A few minutes before 9.30 another two car 158 pulled in and I realised it was going to join up to the one already there. We didn't know which part would be going to Porthmadog but decided to get on the empty rear train as soon as the doors opened. It turned out to be the correct decision as our carriage soon filled up with people from the front part of the train, which was going to Aberystwyth. The journey to Machynleth is very scenic and we really enjoyed it. At Machynleth the front section went off and after a 10 minute wait we headed off for Dovey Junction.

The run up the Cambrian Coast is superb with the sea on one side and lovely, hilly country on the other. The train takes its time, which adds to the pleasure, stopping at many stations and request halts along the way.

We were running on time so decided to stay on to Porthmadog, as Belperpete recommended, rather than change at Minffordd. He was right as I doubt if we would have got two adjacent forward facing seats at Minffordd. I managed the walk in 20 minutes so we had time for a pint in the station bar. It's many years since I rode on the Ffestiniog and that was a return from Tan-y-Bwlch to Porthmadog as the line wasn't fully open in those days.

I really enjoyed the ride to Blaenau, but to be honest the journey from Dovey Junction to Porthmadog was the highlight for me.

The only part of the bus journey to Llandudno junction I enjoyed was the few glimpses of the railway running nearby including one section they were working on.

Couldn't see the fish and chip restaurant at Llandudno Junction so went in the Old Station Hotel across the road. Had a couple of pints, which tasted fine, and fish and chips. Strolled across from the pub at 17.20 to catch the 17.35 back to Manchester via Chester. As luck would have it the 17.17 (direct) was running a few minutes late so we jumped on that. The journey along the North Wales coast and up the Dee Estuary is quite pleasant but by the time we got to Warrington we were beginning to flag. I brightened up when I spotted 3 x 66s just before Warrington.

As we passed Deansgate on the run in to Manchster Oxford Road we passed a late running train that was headed for our home station. At Oxford Road I had a (temporary) hopeful moment when a 195 pulled into the bay (Platform 5) where our train would normally leave from. My hopes were dashed when they announced it was for Barrow in Furness. Our train finally pulled into another platform and was then held for 10 minutes to allow a late runner non-stopper to leave before us. Very tired as I was (I'm 74 and it was a long day, leaving home at 6.00am) I brightened up again as while waiting at Oxford Rd two freights passed, both pulled by 70s.

Thank you all again for your advice, it really helped to make our day more enjoyable.

The only regret (apart from the bus bit) was that this morning my brother sent me a text asking if I had seen any of the TfW 97s - which we hadn't. I Googled to see if I could find where they would be stabled and got a link to the visitmidwales website, which I wish I had found before we went. It gives a really good breakdown of the journey from Shrewsbury to Pwllheli, including sites of old stations, details of the present stations and halts en route and historical facts about lines which at one time had joined onto the Mid Wales Line - and it also says where the 97s are stabled at Shrewsbury.

cheers
Roy

Felix A

The only regret (apart from the bus bit) was that this morning my brother sent me a text asking if I had seen any of the TfW 97s - which we hadn't. I Googled to see if I could find where they would be stabled and got a link to the visitmidwales website, which I wish I had found before we went. It gives a really good breakdown of the journey from Shrewsbury to Pwllheli, including sites of old stations, details of the present stations and halts en route and historical facts about lines which at one time had joined onto the Mid Wales Line - and it also says where the 97s are stabled at Shrewsbury.
I believe you / your brother mean the TfW 67s for the WAG. Is this correct?

krus_aragon

Established Member
I believe you / your brother mean the TfW 67s for the WAG. Is this correct?
It could also have been Network Rail's yellow Class 97/3 (formerly 37) locomotives that had ERTMS equipment fitted for use on the Cambrian. They're usually based at Shrewsbury (near Sutton Bridge Jn).

Status
Not open for further replies.