• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW 158 refurb - 158761

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Established Member
The refurbished 158, number 761 was out on it's first passenger runs today.

09.22 Bristol TM - Portsmouth
12.22 Portsmouth - Cardiff
16.30 Cardiff - Portsmouth (with 158867)
20.22 Portsmouth - Cardiff (with 158867)

Did it from Westbury to Trowbridge, and I must say I was impressed. The carpets are the same to those fitted on the MK3's, as is the seat livery. The seats are retained, however have been "pumped" up, so slightly higher, the tables have been replaced. The airline seats however don't have tables. The bins have also recieved a new coat of pain

The inside isn't too bright, but bright enough. The same stregth as the SWT 158's. FC has really good as gone, no table lamps or sockets anymore :'(

On my 'train test' I didn't even get as far as the 57 end (started in the 52), the bright pink doors are shocking, but do the job. All the interior buttons are now iluminated. The sink has been replaced in the toilet, however we were pulling in to Trowbridge at the time so didn't have time to see what the water runout/tempreture was like.

The disabled space table is now extremally small and fixed, the luggage racks now have grey and dark grey stripes and the new safety posters are allready starting to come off. (They are stuck on using stupid glue which doesnt stick very well at all)

Hope the review isn't too brief, only had 6 minutes to do it!

Photos are: http://jimsphotoallery.fotopic.net/c1389751.html

Thanks

Jim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
No shots of the outside?

Looks interesting inside though, although I'll miss getting a TPX 158 and sitting in the declassified seats!

Jim

Established Member
No shots of the outside?

Looks interesting inside though, although I'll miss getting a TPX 158 and sitting in the declassified seats!

Nope, it was late, so coundn't at Westbury and at Trowbridge it was just in the wrong place for a good shot!

Established Member
The inside isn't too bright, but bright enough. The same stregth as the SWT 158's.

The SWT 158s are very bright inside, at least the SWT ones have retained a decent FC, the seats are amazing, there like huge arm chairs there so comfortable!

Status
Not open for further replies.