• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW First Class-Coach D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc-10

I pre-booked my ticket to Westbury on Thursday, and it said that I'd get an allocated seat in Coach D when I tried to buy the ticket online, despite selecting a first class ticket. This was on the Slough-Reading sector, leaving Slough at 11:56, which is a service to Hereford. Anyone know which train is operating this route? It's a fast train (diagrammed for 14 minutes, so not a Turdo). I'd like to catch an Adelante, (first class is in coach D of an Adelante, according to Wiki) as I've not been on one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

I pre-booked my ticket to Westbury on Thursday, and it said that I'd get an allocated seat in Coach D when I tried to buy the ticket online, despite selecting a first class ticket. This was on the Slough-Reading sector, leaving Slough at 11:56, which is a service to Hereford. Anyone know which train is operating this route? It's a fast train (diagrammed for 14 minutes, so not a Turdo). I'd like to catch an Adelante, (first class is in coach D of an Adelante, according to Wiki) as I've not been on one.

It'll be an Adelante.

thefab444

Established Member
There is no train leaving Slough at 11:56 (going to Reading anyway). There is a 12:07 departure, which is the 1W02 11:51 London Paddington - Hereford, which is booked 5 180. Arrives Reading at 12:21.

Then you will presumably be on the 12:47 off Reading stopper to Westbury (this is the 1U84 12:18 from London Paddington).

vc-10

I'm going mad, it was 11:37.. which goes to Oxford. Turdo, 180 or HST? It's 14 minutes.
But I'm after a 180, so best bet would be to hang around for the 12:07?

Edit: I'm reserved on the 12:47 to Westbury, which is an HST (I'm in coach H), but I'm not restricted on the other 2 trains. I presume the best bet would be to catch the 11:30 from Windsor to Slough (Turdo), then the 12:07 to Reading (180) and then the 12:47 to Westbury (HST)?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't have the diagrams for 180s here, but I do believe the 1137 from Slough is booked for a 166.

As others have stated, 1W02 1151 PAD - HFD calls at Slough at 1207 and is booked for a 5-car 180.

Nevertheless, the best thing to do is to turn up for the 1137 just in case. I'm not sure how often a 180 covers a 166, but it may happen. One thing to do to be sure would be to see if it calls at Ealing Broadway. If it does, then it's a 166. If not, should be a 180.

Enjoy your trip on a 180, the First Class seats are quite nice.

vc-10

The train from Windsor arrives a minute before the one to Reading leaves, I can normally make it (they normally arrive a bit early). I presume that the Oxford train has no catering, but the Hereford one does? If the Oxford one has catering, then I'll rush to make it, but if not, then I won't bother. I like my free coke and biscuits!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The 1137, assuming it's a Turbo, will have no catering. Why anyone on Earth would pay a fortune extra to travel First Class on London Thames Valley I just don't know. There's no plus to it, for that huge extra fare you'd expect it to be worth it.

On that assumption, therefore, you'll be better off awaiting 1W02, as this one should have at-seat catering.

Do, however, let me know if 180108 does it, as it's my last in-service 180 to get for haulage and I'll be glad to hear it's still working.

richa2002

Established Member
I'm assuming he has advance tickets so the prices will be reasonable?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
True, although in general it is still a rip-off. What do you get for your extra money on LTV? Umm...*fails to think of a single benefit*

I daresay his FC AP fare is reasonable, although if it were involving much travel on Turbos to begin with I'd book Standard on those and FC on the journey with proper First Class facilities. But that's me, I like to be fussy.

vc-10

^^ That's why I always try to take an HST from Slough! If I end up at Reading, and would miss my connection at Slough if I waited, then I will take a turdo, but there's really no advantage.

devon_metro

Established Member
I would presume on turdos A is SC, B SC, C SC and the end of C is classified as D for FC?

vc-10

165s have one first class section between the doors and the cab, 166s have 2, one at each end. In both, the seats are standard suburban fare, think standard class on a 158 but with broken reading lights and you're there. They're fine for the Slough services, but it is nice going on an HST instead...

vc-10

OK, so it was a 180. Not as nice as the HSTs, though the seats were marginally more comfortable, but it was loud and the vestibules smelt (a la Voyager). I actually went on 180108 Techniquest! At least, I think it was, as they'd removed the panel over the coupler, and the number ended in 08. Had a virtually empty HST down to Westbury, the guard said that there were about 40 people onboard!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Grr! That damn 180 is always out when I can't get it! One day...Ta for letting me know.

Glad to hear you had a good journey down.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Indeed the 1151 1W02 is booked 180 under set OC501)

Julian - this set works OC502 the next day and 501 after, but excluding it being in turn to be the days spare set, if you go to Hereford then theres 1 in 3 day chance of 108 turning up (turn up everyday and you'll pot it then)

James.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, I've got the diagrams here (well, on the PC at least), but I really can't be arsed to go and find it at the moment. Would cost me a fortune to chase it down really anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.