• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Franchise Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesRowden

Established Member
29x four coach EMUs would probably be okay for TPE's services through Huddersfield, though a little on the tight side (given the half hourly Liverpool - Newcastle plans, the idea of six trains an hour from Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield...).

In comparison, how many four coach EMUs would you need for the 165/166 replacements in the Thames Valley (etc)?

Using the Thames Valley peak service pattern that I haved estimated that there will be once all of the presently planned Thames Valley elecitrification is complete and once Crossrail is operational http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1569876&postcount=38 (plus the Oxford-Banbury 2tph that I forgot to include), I think that the Thames Valley will require about 60 4-car sets plus a few shorter sets to operate some branch line services (e.g. Marlow).

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
29x four coach EMUs would probably be okay for TPE's services through Huddersfield, though a little on the tight side (given the half hourly Liverpool - Newcastle plans, the idea of six trains an hour from Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield...).

In comparison, how many four coach EMUs would you need for the 165/166 replacements in the Thames Valley (etc)?

All depends on the extra 140 carriages I suppose.

For the Manchester to Leeds via Huddersfield services that does rather depend on whether all of the 6 trains per hour are electric.

If (as I've read somewhere I forget) its 2ph to Newcastle, 2ph terminating at York, 1ph to Selby presumably electric - that still leaves 1ph which would presumably be operated by 185s to Hull (pending HT's proposal, which I wouldn't think would be in the DfT plan yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.