• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Groupsave 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModChod

We are looking to book some tickets on FGW's site using Groupsave 4.

The fares have come up correctly and it has bought up the services, but it is asking me to select a service.

If we select a service does this restrict us only to that train?

We are hoping to use an Off Peak Day Return, but are unsure which train we are going to catch back, so don't want to be restricted. Do we just select 'No reservation' when prompted. Or can we reserve a seat and just discard it if our plans change and catch a different train back.

Sorry if this seems a little simple, but I have only ever used London Midland and RSH to book tickets, never FGW's site, and I have never booked a Groupsave ticket either.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No, it doesn't :smile: Off Peak Day Returns are never restricted to that one train, you may, if you wish, choose a service you are likely to use and obtain reservations however even this doesn't limited you to that service :)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Bear in mind that these tickets can be bought on the day of travel at the same price. If you buy in advance and one of your party can't make it on the day, your tickets won't be valid. (although most TMs are fine with it if you have all 4 tickets in my experience).

Brucey

Bear in mind that these tickets can be bought on the day of travel at the same price. If you buy in advance and one of your party can't make it on the day, your tickets won't be valid. (although most TMs are fine with it if you have all 4 tickets in my experience).

Can a GS4 be excessed to a GS3 at a ticket office? The fare is usually a few pence cheaper anyway, so it may be possible to issue a zero excess.

ModChod

No, it doesn't :smile: Off Peak Day Returns are never restricted to that one train, you may, if you wish, choose a service you are likely to use and obtain reservations however even this doesn't limited you to that service :)

Thank you very much. that is useful to know about the reservations.
Thanks for the advice. Despite saying 'we' am not actualy travelling just purchasing the tickets on behalf of someone else. I suggested the ticket office on the day, but apparently it is closed for refurb (Gloucester if anyone can verify that?) and they wouldn't be happy using the TVM to find the fare. I'm not sure if the TVM just gives it you anyway on selecting 4 passengers or if you have to specify it, as I have never booked groupsave before, so they would rather book in advance and pick up and go.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Gloucester ticket office is being refurbished, but I'm surprised if there's no temporary office. Groupsave isn't offered on the machines - they'd charge double the correct fare. It's not clear what's best to do if there's no ticket office- properly each person should buy a ticket covering part of the journey and exchange these for the Groupsave tickets at the first opportunity, but if you can ask the guard before boarding I'm sure they'd be happy to sell the tickets straight off.

May not be relevant depending on the journey, but bear in mind that Groupsave isn't valid on Crosscountry or ATW.

Changing to GS3 would incur a £10 admin fee per ticket.

Roylang

Are you sure? I have been sold a group save ticket several times and told that "up to four" can travel on it. The FGW site just says:

"First Great Western offers discounted travel for groups who are travelling together. GroupSave allows three or four adults and children to travel off-peak for the price of two adults. One adult must be part of the group. Up to four additional children can travel for £1 each return."

Never have I seen that if one of the party drops out is the ticket invalid. Surely the price for 3 or 4 is the same so what is the issue?

Roy

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is in my opinion a preposterous rule and one of the sort which gives our ticketing system a bad name. But rules is rules...

National Rail Enquiries states:
All members of the group must travel together for outward and return journeys
...and it has been confirmed on here that the "official" rule is that tickets are invalid if the number stated on the ticket is not present.

In my experience staff use their common sense and will allow fewer than the specified number to travel (provided that all tickets are together); this may be so widespread that some staff think that this is the rule, hence your being told that "up to four" could travel. However, I didn't want to say that it would definitely be OK for three to travel on GPS-4 tickets as there's always the chance that a guard might take exception to it.

Scotrail's policy is more sensible and tickets are valid for up to the number given.

bnm

Established Member
Just to add to the information re: Gloucester Station.

There is a temporary ticket office in a portakabin to the right of the main entrance. This office can sell the full range of tickets and it is open at the same times as the office it is substituting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.