• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW HST auto announcer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, has anyone else noticed some FGW HSTs have now got auto announcers, the most common thing heard on them is "will the train manager please contact the driver" however todays HST was blurting out all sorts of rubbish!! The set was a Laira (Low Density) set with 43029/185 in charge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
All the FGW HSTs have the automatic announcements, they are controlled from the Buffet car, it is believed that Alison Foster is the voice. These are rarely used, I have only ever heard them played once or twice. It is triggered by entering certain codes, it can only do general information.

With regards to the "Would the train manager please contact the driver" announcement, I think that isn't linked in with the announcements, I think its just linked in to play whether the driver tries to contact the train manager using the buzzer.

TEW

Established Member
It's separate to the driver guard communication and used if the driver can't contact the guard because they are somewhere in the train and not in the TGS. There's an automatic announcement which can be played at the end of the journey. The ex-Wessex units also have a basic announcement system. There's the safety announcement which is played automatically but there are a couple of other announcements which can be played. Many are useless though as they reference Wessex Trains or Wales and Borders trains.

Aictos

Established Member
I know the East Coast 91s have this system, don't think the East Coast HSTs do however I may be wrong.

It's separate to the driver guard communication and used if the driver can't contact the guard because they are somewhere in the train and not in the TGS. There's an automatic announcement which can be played at the end of the journey. The ex-Wessex units also have a basic announcement system. There's the safety announcement which is played automatically but there are a couple of other announcements which can be played. Many are useless though as they reference Wessex Trains or Wales and Borders trains.

The ex wessex units have a system which can say many things controlled from the cab, 150221 was saying please keep the gangway free for the catering trolley to pass through earlier haha

TEW

Established Member
There's one which says welcome aboard this Wessex Alphaline service and goes on to list the facilities available, including the at seat trolley and disabled toilet. This announcement can of course be played on the 143s.

Status
Not open for further replies.