• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW not offering walk on fares for future dates (but offering Advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furrball

Had not seen before that FGW seem to have an unusual policy of release advance tickets for dates but not walk on fares.

For example London Paddington to Bristol TN out on 6th June return 9th June.
For the 1600 service

FGW site offering a cheapest fare of £103.50 (actually 1st class, standard is more!) Outbound

Virgin gives a return fare for a total of £66.10

(LNER site says tickets for 9th June not released yet)

How can GWR get away with this massive overcharging of customers using their site?
Screenshot_20190322-142453_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190322-142628_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
For example London Paddington to Bristol TN out on 6th June return 9th June.
For the 1600 service

FGW site offering a cheapest fare of £103.50 (actually 1st class, standard is more!) Outbound

Virgin gives a return fare for a total of £66.10

(LNER site says tickets for 9th June not released yet)

How can GWR get away with this massive overcharging of customers using their site?
I am not seeing the same fares as you, but agree that the GWR site doesn't offer any standard class fares for that train (and a few around it). However, I think it is highly unlikely that this is a deliberate action.

Furrball

I have asked them and was told that they will release walk on fares at a later date.

Chris Butler

My experience with GWR and releasing fares (in my case sleeper fares) to their website is that they are totally clueless. You get different stories from different people and all of them are wrong.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
GWR regularly (always?) release advance fares in...well, advance. And walk-on fares much closer to date. I have no idea why! Sometimes you need a walk-on fare in advance, and sometimes you need a seat reservation, but they can't reserve seats whilst only the advance tickets are on sale, you need the walk-on tickets to be on sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.