• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW Recruitment Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

varcoe88

Hi all,
I applied for a customer service supervisor with FGW back in january. I was invited to take their online tests a couple of weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone knows how long it usually takes them to get back to candidates after that.
Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Im still wondering too as i've got a Customer Services application (put in last november!) still awaiting any response. Unfortunatly i've just had another vacancy withdrawn (job now not availible) so im a little dissapointed with the FGW Recruitment process at the moment.

varcoe88

They do seem to be quite slow to respond most of the time. Ive had an application in the past where it showed 'awaiting shortlisting' for about 3 - 4 months and then an automated email top say the vacancy has been filled. I applied for this one mid January and was invited for the online tests about 3 weeks later. 2 weeks on I'm just waiting to hear. Also got another one for customer sales adviser at shortlisting..now approaching the 3 week mark so will hopefully get an email soon about that one.

FGW Human Resources are incredibly slow! Possibly just due to the amount of applications they get for each vacancy.

When I first applied for trainee driver, it was quite a while before I was invited for assessment then another 4 months before I heard back inviting me to the second stage (I'm travelling to that as we speak!).

Don't give up! Be patient and hopefully you'll get a positive reply soon.

varcoe88

FGW Human Resources are incredibly slow! Possibly just due to the amount of applications they get for each vacancy.

When I first applied for trainee driver, it was quite a while before I was invited for assessment then another 4 months before I heard back inviting me to the second stage (I'm travelling to that as we speak!).

Don't give up! Be patient and hopefully you'll get a positive reply soon.

It was ages before i'd heard back for a trainee driver position with them as well. All be it i was unsuccessful for shortlisting. That was back in november 2010. Think it took nearly a year before i recieved the email saying i was unsuccessful.
Good luck for today. Hope you get it. Will keep trying no matter what. Would you advise applying for new roles whilst ive still got a couple of applications on the go?

Good luck for today. Hope you get it. Will keep trying no matter what. Would you advise applying for new roles whilst ive still got a couple of applications on the go?
Thanks! My assessment is actually tomorrow in Newport, just travelling today from Newcastle!

If I fail this time, that's both my chances gone! I've passed the psychometrics several timesn however I've also failed once so if I fail again that'll be that!
However I'm a positive person so I'll not even think about that!!

Whilst my application was pending with FGW (after I'd taken the 1st part of the tests), I applied for Northern Rail and just put on the application that I didn't know my results yet.
I didn't want to apply to other First Group companies (even though they have more vacancies than most) in case it was looked at in a negative way.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I applied for their shunter position at Landore, closed on Friday just gone - can I assume I won't hear anything from them for a fair wee while then?

varcoe88

I applied for their shunter position at Landore, closed on Friday just gone - can I assume I won't hear anything from them for a fair wee while then?

In my experience it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. This is the first time ive made it past shortlisting and incidentally the shortest time ive had to wait for a reply. maybe they contact successful applicants before unsuccessful people.

Think i'll hold off applying for more with FGW for the time being. I made the two applications before hearing back about either one. Best of luck with your tests tomorrow and let us know how it goes.

jc1

I applied for a trainee driver position in August and my online status
is still awaiting shortlisting so who knows as I see elsewhere that plenty
of people have had assessments already.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks - good luck to everyone. Interestingly, no one else seems on here to have applied for the Shunter at Landore - is it really that bad a job?

So from this, we seem to all agree that FGW's HR is a steaming plie of @#$%? :)

varcoe88

Certainly seems to me that compared to other toc's FGW hr's are incredibly slow. Other applications I've made to ATW, SWT and AXC have all been responded to (unsuccessfully) within a matter of weeks.

fgwrich

Established Member
I must admit, hats off to First Groups HR department. I've not heard anything for months about one application to work for First (still underconsideration), but i've just checked my emails and found one from 01:12 this morning telling me i've been unsuccessful for a job i applied for last friday! :o

They don't half work in strange ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.