• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW refurbed power cars/power module problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

I was told today that FGW are having problems with the "power modules" frequently burning out on their re-engineerd power cars.It was sugested to me that this was because the FGW power cars electronics are the original unlike the GNER power cars going through Brush which are being fitted with new control electronics.Can any qualified person confirm or deny this.
I have been on several FGW MTU engined HSTs which have clearly been having electronic problems on the south Devon banks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nat the Ned

The GNER ones definately get a new electrical module while FGW power cars are done in the 'First' way, ie on the cheap and do not. So there is probably some truth to it......

devon_metro

Established Member
Yes. It is true. If the wiring was up to scratch with GNER they would be far more reliable. Some drivers have been reported as being cautious on the throttle (even though most of them are :roll:) in case they blow the system.

Woody

Yes. It is true. If the wiring was up to scratch with GNER they would be far more reliable. Some drivers have been reported as being cautious on the throttle (even though most of them are :roll:) in case they blow the system.
I could not understand up till now why FGWs MTU engined power cars were not as quick off the mark as the valentas,now I know why.Penny wise pound foolish seems to sum up FGW.Add to that those dreadful Mk3 refurbs and you have a complete cock-up of a once great train.

devon_metro

Established Member
Well. Generally when no faults they are slower on the whole from 0 but apparently are quicker up to 125mph.

Andrew

And MTUs don't generally have notch 5 taped out. Or 3/4 for that matter, which various FGW Valentas do.

No no no, powercar control cubicles are just as reliable/unreliable as they were before.

The current issue with the MTU installation (which MTU are aware of) is the ocassional "freezing" of the electronically controlled govenor. This will affect GNER as well as FGW, and is simply cured by cycling the CCB breaker.

Unfortunately alot of FGW drivers don't know/have the interest to do this.

MTU's will take longer to accelerate in lower notches simply because the RPM/Torque curve is different to that of the Valenta, this situation will exist in any re-engineering scenario unless you regear the whole powercars control electronics.

Turbostar

I'm sure you'll find the GNER power cars were re-wired, unlike the FGW ones. Hence the small MTU/Brush logos on the GNER power cars, & hence why the FGW ones are having problems.

Mart

d53351

I'm sure you'll find the GNER power cars were re-wired, unlike the FGW ones. Hence the small MTU/Brush logos on the GNER power cars, & hence why the FGW ones are having problems.

Mart

Not quite correct.

All Angel Trains powercars were re-wired a few years ago, with the exception of the control cubicles, as were a number of Porterbrook ones. ALL powercars which have gone through re-power have had either a full re-wire (if not already done) or the control cubicle re-wired.

GNER are having new Brush control electronics fitted, and FGW are not.

The small Brush/MTU logos are nothing to do with any re-wire.

Mart

The problems with the MTUs which are being seen is down to what I explained, also as I said, this problem WILL affect GNER as well, because it exists in the applications of the engine in Europe also.

Believe me, I'm not a fan of the MTU so I'm not just trying to rubbish anything bad which is said about it, merely stating the facts.

Turbostar

Ok, sorry, I'll word it better lol. I meant with FGW, it seems that send them off, re-engine them & briefly refurb them, send them back asap. With GNER it seems they're putting more effort into the refurb prog, not just a case of shove a new engine in them, & send them on their way, hence why FGW seem to be getting probs with them. Hope that makes more sense.

Mart

P.S. Believe me, I 'aint a fan of them either.

class 313

Established Member
I've been on some MTU HST sets where the driver puts the hst into notch 1 to move then straight up to the top go get out the station with no problems, although the problems seem not to be straight after the "bashing" of the power car.

devon_metro

Established Member
Ok, sorry, I'll word it better lol. I meant with FGW, it seems that send them off, re-engine them & briefly refurb them, send them back asap. With GNER it seems they're putting more effort into the refurb prog, not just a case of shove a new engine in them, & send them on their way, hence why FGW seem to be getting probs with them. Hope that makes more sense.

Mart

P.S. Believe me, I 'aint a fan of them either.

I would image FGW cars are taking more of a knock as a result of increased station stopping (take Cornwall) some challenging gradients and greatly varying speed limits whereas the GNER route is generally more consistant and flat also with less stops on the route.

Turbostar

I've noticed over recent days trains going past work Exeter bound starting the run up Hemerdon are being cautious if it's a MTU unit heading the train. The Vals headed trains on the other hand still have the wonderful floor it & thrash it approach lol. :)

Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.