• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fictiona: Modern trains in older/original liveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
How would they look in the late 90s/early 00s livery, Lets see....

68 cr.jpg165 wxt.jpg175 alphaline.jpg175 nwt.jpg180 MML.jpg195 CT.jpg220 VT.jpg331 northern spirit.jpg350 silverlink.jpg

375 cse.jpg379 sst.jpg385 scotrail.jpg387 gx.jpg387 thames trains.jpg444 swt.png700 tl.jpg710 FGE.jpg710 wagn.jpg

745 anglia.jpg755 'one'.jpg755 VL.jpg801 gner.jpg802 GWT.jpg802 TPE.jpg

Hope you all like, Very soon i'll be making the opposite version (older trains in today's livery).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Chiltern Loco hauled looks very nice, and the GNER livery is almost timeless. Less sure about some of the others which were very much 'of their era', however I do wonder what a 700 in NSE livery would look like.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Always liked the Valley Lines livery, but seeing it depicted on a newer unit it hasn't aged so well. I wish TfW had "done a Scotland" and adopted a livery based on the Welsh flag- but with the green on the lower section like the flag- doors and branding in red as per the dragon on the flag.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Always liked the Valley Lines livery, but seeing it depicted on a newer unit it hasn't aged so well. I wish TfW had "done a Scotland" and adopted a livery based on the Welsh flag- but with the green on the lower section like the flag- doors and branding in red as per the dragon on the flag.

The problem with red and green, as per the Valley Lines livery, is that it clashes horribly in most uses. I don't think it looked nice on any unit.

I am however VERY surprised the TfW livery doesn't include a dragon anywhere. There's barely a single business in Wales that doesn't have dragons all over it.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Just so you all it took me almost a week doing these! Tpe 800 and silverlink were rushed. I didn't bother doing Heathrow/Stansted express (nothing special about it) and Island line. Way too much effort to do.

RPM

Established Member
The Chiltern loco-hauled stock was originally going to be blue. This changed when the plug got pulled on Wrexham & Shropshire and Chiltern inherited their stock. It was more cost effective to just do some vinyl modifications to the WSMR silver.

Farmer1997

Yes I do too, perhaps on their existing livery replace black with green from the Welsh flag and replace the ‘T’ logo with a red dragon logo

xotGD

Established Member
I was expecting to see blue and grey or blood and custard, not a load of modern colour schemes.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The older loco-hauled/HST Virgin Trains livery sits really rather well on the 220 imho, makes me wonder how it would look on a 390 tbh (although I think Fictitious Liveries produced something along those lines back in the day).

The Anglia 745 doesn't look half-bad either (have always had a soft spot for that livery), though I'm slightly less sold on the ONE 755 (maybe a slightly darker shade of lilac).

My personal faves from that selection are the Chiltern 68/Mk5, the NWT 175, the Midland Mainline 180, the Silverlink 350, the ScotRail (Nat X) 385, the 'BR' SWT 444, the FGE & WAGN 710s and the GNER & Great Western Trains IETs.

Some hot takes contained within this post, but meh lol

Last edited:

Prestige15

On Moderation
These’re very good! Can i request a 321 in LNR and a 730 in silverlink?
The 321 or maybe even a 313 in LNR livery I may do just that, I will be making older stocks in current livery very soon. You may also see a Avanti West Coast HST or Class 312 in Greater Anglia livery.

Farmer1997

I was expecting to see blue and grey or blood and custard, not a load of modern colour schemes.
Would be good to see the current fleet in rail blue and grey, perhaps adding grey and blue versions for inter city services

hvordan

I am unsure as to whether it was ever implemented, given the short life of the company, but did LTS rail (pre-c2c) ever have any trains in their own livery? I remember the green seats but cant find any pictures of the exterior.

m79900

I am unsure as to whether it was ever implemented, given the short life of the company, but did LTS rail (pre-c2c) ever have any trains in their own livery? I remember the green seats but cant find any pictures of the exterior.
I believe they replaced the red band on the NSE livery with green on some 317s.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I believe they replaced the red band on the NSE livery with green on some 317s.
This was certainly the case with some 317/1s:

(linked images copyright of their respective owners)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Looking at those very good and professional-looking mock-up pictures in the starting post to this thread, my only thought is that someone clearly has way too much spare time on his/her hands! :D

(EDIT: And my second thought is, how much more nice and colourful trains looked 20-30 years ago compared to the drab shades-of-grey-and-white-everywhere of today. I especially liked the old red design of Virgin trains - would have loved to see that transfer to the Pendolinos instead of the dull grey that they ended up painting them).

Status
Not open for further replies.