• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Filton Bank 4-tracking visualisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

contractor1

no ballast being dropped on the formation for a while yet, just digging for the new track bed.
drainage works filton end near lockleaze bridge in a couple of weeks though ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
We're not allowed to work in that area on our own and when Easton Road bridge was done several guys were threatened with shooting, they had to lock themselves in the welfare cabin. It's not a good area and we have had to have police protection on a couple of occasions. We also have regular issues getting the large amounts of used syringes removed which get dumped trackside.I feel sorry for the good people in the area. From what I've seen Fox Park is the name.

More seriously, I hope that the supposed economic growth from all the investment actually trickles down to those locals. Whether that is in the form of jobs or investment in rehabilitation and treatment, or preferably a combination of both, is beyond my pay grade, mind!

It doesn't sound like somewhere I'd want to be, but writing areas off doesn't help. You only have to look at the former pit villages around Barnsley and Doncaster to see that.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
no ballast being dropped on the formation for a while yet, just digging for the new track bed.
drainage works filton end near lockleaze bridge in a couple of weeks though ;)

The possession item work stated ballast dropping, might be in the existing four foot perhaps ?

D6975

Established Member
That sadly sums up what folk think of the area. I have been told it is not as bad as that but I understand some remedial work for the park is planned. I think it is called Fox Park?

Sadly it is that bad. I stopped going to Stapleton Rd station to take photos following an attempted mugging and the local drug pushers being suspicious of what I was doing there. They thought I was watching them and were quite confrontational.

I go to Lawrence Hill nowadays, much safer location.

D60

We're not allowed to work in that area on our own and when Easton Road bridge was done several guys were threatened with shooting, they had to lock themselves in the welfare cabin. It's not a good area and we have had to have police protection on a couple of occasions. We also have regular issues getting the large amounts of used syringes removed which get dumped trackside.I feel sorry for the good people in the area. From what I've seen Fox Park is the name.

It was fascinating to observe the process of the removal and replacement of the Easton Road bridge over the May 2016 Spring Bank Holiday weekend, from the 'viewing gallery' of the beer garden at The Plough pub next to the bridge. There was a 76hr blockade/possession from midnight Fri/Sat to 4am Tues... and by 3pm Sat afternoon we were told that at that point the job was approx 7hrs behind schedule... Part of this was apparently down to unexpected extra difficulty in separating the old decking beams from the piers... But the first 4 hrs of it after midnight was apparently down to an 'armed stand-off' with one of the locals, requiring the attendance of firearms officers until it was resolved and the demolition contractors and scaffolders could resume their work... (I gather the issue with the 'irate neighbour' was either over the noise of the machinery and pneumatic hammers, or a misunderstanding about the fact of their bridge being taken away, or both... Apparently they're very protective of their bridge..!)
Anyway, the initial loss of time was recovered over the 3 days and the job handed over on time on Tues morning...
So, Easton Road bridge all ready for the wires...(!)

Sean Emmett

Trip up Filton Bank today and I noted the new Ashley Hill footbridge (3m 11c) is in.

Lots of activity between Narroways Jn (2m 03c) and Ashley Hill station (2m 40c) where a large part of the (former/future) fast line side of the embankment has been removed for stabilisation works.

Can anyone clarify why Narroways footbridge needs to be replaced? It's surely more than high enough for OHLE, presume its to do with stabilising the cutting sides and need for strengthened abutments?

HowardGWR

Established Member
Trip up Filton Bank today and I noted the new Ashley Hill footbridge (3m 11c) is in.

Lots of activity between Narroways Jn (2m 03c) and Ashley Hill station (2m 40c) where a large part of the (former/future) fast line side of the embankment has been removed for stabilisation works.

Can anyone clarify why Narroways footbridge needs to be replaced? It's surely more than high enough for OHLE, presume its to do with stabilising the cutting sides and need for strengthened abutments?

Thanks. I am not aware of an Ashley hill footbridge. Is this on the new station site or somewhere else? On the Narroways footbridge, it is very high above the railway, but it is a bit rickety and has no parapets, IIRC. Perhaps they are installing the latter, in which case the present concrete effort would be too too thin. Good to think, if so, that they are future proofing for the wires underneath. :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The new Ashley footbridge replaces the one removed last year, in pretty much the same position.
Regards the Narroways footbridge it's coming down, and will be replaced as will the former railway over railway bridge abutments.

contractor1

the footings next to the down filton are in the way of the new track thats going back in!
a new single span footbridge is goning to replace the old one

contractor1

Thanks. I am not aware of an Ashley hill footbridge. Is this on the new station site or somewhere else? On the Narroways footbridge, it is very high above the railway, but it is a bit rickety and has no parapets, IIRC. Perhaps they are installing the latter, in which case the present concrete effort would be too too thin. Good to think, if so, that they are future proofing for the wires underneath. :)

no new station at ashley hill!
no new stations being built on the filton 4 track project apart from a new platform at filton filton

HowardGWR

Established Member

I've bumped back to this post because I am still at a loss to know where this footbridge is. We have discussed the high footbridge at Narroways. North of there, we have two crossings in the vicinity of Ashley Hill but both are tunnels, one at Boiling Wells and another at the site of the old Ashley Hill station.

Where please, is this footbridge? (Chainage does not help I am afraid but a reference to Google Maps / Earth would be appreciated). Is it a new one and if so, why would it be needed, as they have the two tunnels already to get to Muller Road?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
no new station at ashley hill!
no new stations being built on the filton 4 track project apart from a new platform at filton filton

I know that there is a station planned at Ashley Hill, so could the footbridge be somewhat in preperation for that as well?

takno

Established Member
I've bumped back to this post because I am still at a loss to know where this footbridge is. We have discussed the high footbridge at Narroways. North of there, we have two crossings in the vicinity of Ashley Hill but both are tunnels, one at Boiling Wells and another at the site of the old Ashley Hill station.

Where please, is this footbridge? (Chainage does not help I am afraid but a reference to Google Maps / Earth would be appreciated). Is it a new one and if so, why would it be needed, as they have the two tunnels already to get to Muller Road?

Judging by the chainage I'd have thought it was this one https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...0ce3149aee89f36!8m2!3d51.5035814!4d-2.5635251 . I don't know the area though

HowardGWR

Established Member

takno

Established Member
Thanks very much, that's what most of us would identify as Horfield. Just out of interest, how is this 'chainage' an identifier - how does one know where it is measured from? Is there a publication? Is it that thing people call the 'sectional appendix'? You gather i am ignorant on this.
The sectional appendix, available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/indus...anies/national-electronic-sectional-appendix/ gives a detailed breakdown of all lines including the miles and chains of stations and crossings. It doesn't generally include bridges.

In this case Filton Abbey Wood is at 4m30c, and Narroways Hill Junction is at 2m03c, so I was just looking for a footbridge halfway between them.

MarkyT

Established Member
Thanks very much, that's what most of us would identify as Horfield. Just out of interest, how is this 'chainage' an identifier - how does one know where it is measured from? Is there a publication? Is it that thing people call the 'sectional appendix'? You gather i am ignorant on this.

The Sectional Appendix shows miles and chains of stations, junctions, signal boxes, ground frames, tunnels and changes in line speed. Most bridges aren't shown however. The zero datum is somewhere in the Temple Meads area but the SA shows the actual divergence of the Filton line at the modern Bristol East Jn to start at 0m 26ch, and 118m 2ch on the main line via Bath.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The sectional appendix, available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/indus...anies/national-electronic-sectional-appendix/ gives a detailed breakdown of all lines including the miles and chains of stations and crossings. It doesn't generally include bridges.

In this case Filton Abbey Wood is at 4m30c, and Narroways Hill Junction is at 2m03c, so I was just looking for a footbridge halfway between them.

Thanks; I've just dug out my old GWR maps by R.A.Cooke and blow me, the chainage is there too and identical (well, the earth hasn't expanded or contracted!). Thus I should have known this. :oops:

Hellzapoppin

Although I have access to the Sectional Appendix I usually dig out the Western Quail map if I need mileages, locations etc. Find it far more useful.

takno

Established Member
Although I have access to the Sectional Appendix I usually dig out the Western Quail map if I need mileages, locations etc. Find it far more useful.

I've never actually seen a Quail, but my impression is that they're rather more comprehensive.

snowball

Established Member
The Sectional Appendix shows miles and chains of stations, junctions, signal boxes, ground frames, tunnels and changes in line speed.
I've never actually seen a Quail, but my impression is that they're rather more comprehensive.
I've got two editions of the Quail (now also known as Trackmaps) covering what used to be the London Midland Region. They don't show speed limits (or neutral sections on electrified lines), both of which the SA shows.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Press release:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds...hase-of-railway-upgrade-work-set-to-commence/

Residents of Bristol have been invited to attend public drop-in events in the coming weeks to find out more about upcoming work to deliver the next phase of the Filton Bank Four Tracking project, which will enable an increase in train services and reduce disruption from maintenance.

Stapleton Road

Following the successful demolition of the Stapleton Road viaduct this summer, further work to enable the installation of the replacement bridge next summer will commence.

Sheet piling, which consists of inserting metal sheets into the ground vertically as a protective measure for buried services, such as cables, will take place from mid-October until December.

Throughout the rest of the project, work will mostly be taking place on weekdays during daytime hours. Where work outside of these hours is required, local residents and businesses will be provided with warning in advance.

The replacement of the Stapleton Road viaduct is a crucial part of the Filton Bank Four Tracking project, which is an expansion of the track between Dr Days Junction and Filton Abbey Wood station.

The new viaduct will play its part in doubling the lines through the area, enabling an increase in train services to meet expected growth in passenger numbers.

Network Rail’s project team are hosting a community drop-in session on Monday 9 October from 4.30pm until 7.30pm at St Marks Baptist Church, Easton, BS5 6HX for residents to learn more about this work.

Ashley Hill & Narroways

Further work on the Filton Bank Four Tracking project is set to get underway later this month at Ashley Hill & Narroways, with piling work and soil nailing.

Soil nailing is a technique used to stabilise the embankment, which involves driving nails into the earth and rock horizontally at regular intervals to hold the embankment in place.

Following the removal of the footbridge at Ashley Hill last year and extensive drainage improvement works, a new steel footbridge was installed in August and is set to open early next year.

Narroways footbridge will also be replaced over the weekend of the 18 November with round the clock work to remove the existing footbridge and install a new one set to take place. This will also open early next year.

Two public drop-in events for local residents will take place between 4.30pm and 7.00pm on:
  • Tuesday 10 October at St Werburgh’s City Farm, Watercress Road, BS2 9YJ
  • Monday 6 November at Fairfield High School, Allfoxton Road, Horfield, BS7 9NL
Kate Trevorrow, project manager for Network Rail, said: “Our work to deliver a better, more reliable railway for Bristol as part of our Railway Upgrade Plan is progressing well and these phases of work will bring passengers another step closer to the benefits that the Filton Bank Four Tracking project will bring.

“I’d like to encourage all residents living close to these projects to come along to our drop-in events and speak to our project team about what this work will entail and the benefits it will enable.

“Any residents unable to attend on these dates are welcome to contact our 24-hour helpline to find out more on 03457 11 41 41”

Sean Emmett

The new footbridge at Narroways Hill was installed yesterday. Photos
- new bridge Sun 19 Nov 2017
- gap on Sunday morning
- old bridge, taken 4 Sep 2017.

Again am mystified that the old bridge needed replacing as it spanned 4 tracks until 1984.

Attachments

• 20171119_190504.jpg
    20171119_190504.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 106
  • 20171119_105933.jpg
    20171119_105933.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 107

Sean Emmett

The new footbridge at Narroways Hill was installed yesterday. Photos
- new bridge Sun 19 Nov 2017
- gap on Sunday morning
- old bridge, taken 4 Sep 2017.

Again am mystified that the old bridge needed replacing as it spanned 4 tracks until 1984.

Sorry, can't upload pic of old bridge, file too large.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The old bridge was life expired.

As soon as I see your name on the postings, I know it will be informative, thanks. I can back that up. A few years ago, I took a walk from Hannah More school (Muller Road) along the footpath that crosses that bridge and it felt dead dodgy, and it was one of these Taunton Concrete Works jobs, or so I guessed. It looks metal in the photos though.

Status
Not open for further replies.