• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Final XC HST (1627 Plymouth - Leeds) 18/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I expect we'll witness the same scenes as when the last Cass 47-hauled 1M56 left Penzance on 19th August 2002 with the train mostly full of people who showed no interest in 47s when they were working CrossCountry trains day-in day-out but 'had to be there' for the final trip. Even the local Mayor turned up at Plymouth to mark the occasion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GWVillager

I expect we'll witness the same scenes as when the last Cass 47-hauled 1M56 left Penzance on 19th August 2002 with the train mostly full of people who showed no interest in 47s when they were working CrossCountry trains day-in day-out but 'had to be there' for the final trip. Even the local Mayor turned up at Plymouth to mark the occasion.
It’s going to be a momentous trip, certainly, even more so than the 47 I would think. I wouldn’t be surprised if people are turned away.

justin1123

Well, I'm going to do it, first class but no reservation.
Do we think they will even use reservations? (the last few times I have been on HST they have said "no reservations" - perhaps after set swap, though).

Interesting though that's it scheduled as the last train - I am heading to Newcastle and if they don't allow on, there are no later connections.

Liam L

mostly full of people who showed no interest in 47s when they were working CrossCountry trains day-in day-out but 'had to be there' for the final trip.
I'm expecting it to be chaos. I do slightly feel bad for the regular passengers who will be on that set tonight, Hopefully everyone will be well behaved.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm expecting it to be chaos. I do slightly feel bad for the regular passengers who will be on that set tonight, Hopefully everyone will be well behaved.
If anything it's probably a good thing it isn't a service that's timetabled to head through the midlands during the evening peak as otherwise it would have been an incredibly busy service.

Liam L

If anything it's probably a good thing it isn't a service that's timetabled to head through the midlands during the evening peak as otherwise it would have been an incredibly busy service.
Yep, I imagine that's why they took it off 12:27 originally when it was allocated last night, Would of been better for me though as I would of been able to see it through Longbridge :lol:

firstadekit

Shame it's going to pitch black when it passes through here. Gonna have to resort to a station shot, hope the opposite platform isn't rammed in order to get some good shots and hope other services play ball and don't block the shot!

Essexman

Established Member
I only travelled from Totnes to Newton Abbot but First was fully booked and Standard virtually full. Passenger demographic somewhat different to usual for this train.

Iskra

Established Member
Think I’m going to head out for a quick Sheffield-Doncaster spin after work. Should hopefully be quieter by that point :)

Iskra

Established Member
Does anybody know which class will be leading from Sheffield, 1st or Std please?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I only travelled from Totnes to Newton Abbot but First was fully booked and Standard virtually full. Passenger demographic somewhat different to usual for this train.
If you were in first a passenger next to me boarded at Totnes and left at Newton Abbot—perhaps it was you!?

Morpethcurve

Ex PLY, 1st was about 60% full, most being enthusiasts. A handful joined at EXD. We bailed at TVP and I'd be interested to hear whether it becomes busier than usual further north

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Does anybody know which class will be leading from Sheffield, 1st or Std please?
First is currently at the rear of the train, so following the reversal at Bristol it will be at the front of the formation.

occone

A lovely message from platform staff with a brief bit of history about the train. Also encouraged people on the platform to wave to the driver. Very nicely done by GWR.

Ex PLY, 1st was about 60% full, most being enthusiasts. A handful joined at EXD. We bailed at TVP and I'd be interested to hear whether it becomes busier than usual further north
Hoaching. 90% enthusiasts, self included.

Nice to see people enjoying the journey for what it is rather that being desperate to rush somewhere :)

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Cross Country reporting train was delayed at Taunton due to "passengers causing a disturbance". Train now around 6 mins late at Freshford.

tobiast

A lovely message from platform staff with a brief bit of history about the train. Also encouraged people on the platform to wave to the driver. Very nicely done by GWR.

Hoaching. 90% enthusiasts, self included.

Nice to see people enjoying the journey for what it is rather that being desperate to rush somewhere :)
That sounds a nice touch - which station was that?

I'll be waving in the dark, I'm afraid!

Established Member
Intervention to resolve a fight on board is my understanding.
Certain enthusiasts started sharing the name and address of someone else on the train who they were accusing of something that shouldn't be repeated here. There were various people talking about stabbing each other too.

The person in question was moved into first class for his own safety and people still were not happy.

Better than waiting somewhere for the police to arrive.

occone

Apparently First Class is out of tea bags.

Repeat.

Apparently First Class is out of tea bags.

Essexman

Established Member
If you were in first a passenger next to me boarded at Totnes and left at Newton Abbot—perhaps it was you!?

Could well have been. I was on my own and sat in reserved seat that was empty, with two youngish blokes in the window seats talking about fares in Worcester / Birmingham area (sorry I was listening with interest!)
I'd planned to get the down train from Bristol on my way from London to Torquay, then what that was Voyager thought I'd do Plymouth to Newton Abbot but didn't quite have time to that after first going to Torquay. So just a ten minute ride for me but one I wanted to do having been on the last GWR Inter City from London to Devon a few years ago.

occone

A plaque has just gone on

It reads:
CrossCountry
High Speed Train
Farewell

Attachments

• IMG20230918193430.jpg
    IMG20230918193430.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.