• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park and Cambridge Station, where best to board (FPK) and exit (CBG) on a Class 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike99

Hi, Bit of help needed form someone familiar with Cambridge Station and Finsbury Park. I walk slowly with a stick. I have 6 minutes on an advance ticket itinerary to cross from Platform 8 (RTT) off of the 16:40 arrival from Finsbury Park on a class 700, to Platform 6 for a 16:46 departure towards Bury St Edmunds. I've seen on that newer 3D? style map the bridge/lifts towards the northern end of the platform looks the right place to cross, I'm slow on stairs (if the lift isn't working) but if I can get off near the bridge I'll be probably be ok. Which carriage shall I board the 12 car, 700 at Finsbury Park to exit by the bridge at Cambridge. As always thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Magdalia

Established Member
The bridge is the only way to cross from platforms 7 and 8 at Cambridge. It does have lifts. For trains arriving from Brighton on platforms 7/8 the 4th car from the front stops by the lift.

Mike99

The bridge is the only way to cross from platforms 7 and 8 at Cambridge. It does have lifts. For trains arriving from Brighton on platforms 7/8 the 4th car from the front stops by the lift.
Oh that's very good thanks very much. I just noticed the lifts so amended my original post but I'll use that 4th car from the front, be easy to do at Finsbury Park. Thanks again

plugwash

Established Member
What's really annoying is when you want to go from Cambridge north to a local station south of Cambridge on the GN route. The layout of Cambridge North puts you on the south end of the train, then when you reach cambridge, you often have to walk all the way to the north end of the station cross the bridge and walk all the way back to the south end of the station to pick up a train in platform 2 or 3.

ac6000cw

Established Member
What's really annoying is when you want to go from Cambridge north to a local station south of Cambridge on the GN route. The layout of Cambridge North puts you on the south end of the train, then when you reach cambridge, you often have to walk all the way to the north end of the station cross the bridge and walk all the way back to the south end of the station to pick up a train in platform 2 or 3.
Just walk through the train in between the two stations? or get on the north end of it at Cambridge North?

Magdalia

Established Member
Yes there is a lot of walking there!

Just walk through the train in between the two stations?
You cannot be serious! (said in the voice of John McEnroe) The trains are class 720s, and sometimes 2 of them.

ac6000cw

Established Member
You cannot be serious! (said in the voice of John McEnroe) The trains are class 720s, and sometimes 2 of them.
Only some of them (the rest are GN EMUs or GA 755s). Personally I'd walk up the platform at Cambridge North before getting on the train. Besides which, isn't the walking good exercise :smile:

William3000

Cambridge (Central) has a fairly inefficient layout and I expect further changes in the coming decade, particularly if East West rail arrives. The platform 2 and 3 bays once had a third track between them - prior to electrification I think. There must be potential to widen platform 2 and replace the electrification masts as per platforms 5 and 6, with the track of platform 2 moved a few metres close to the track of 3 which could allow sufficient room at the end of platform 2 for a new footbridge and lifts to aid the issue raised. Unlike at platform 5 where the length of trains heading north could allow for one carriage length to be lost but that isn’t the case with platform 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.