• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Finsbury Park platform renumbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The platforms at Finsbury Park have been renumbered over the weekend. All existing platforms have increased in number by 2, and presumably 1 & 2 will be used for the disused island platform that is currently being brought back into service. The new layout will be

Up Slow 2
Platform 1/2 (under construction)
Up Slow (will trains open doors on P2 or P3 once the new island opens?)
Platform 3/4
Up Fast
Down Fast
Platform 5/6
Down Slow (doors only open on P7)
Platform 7/8
Down Moorgate

I have read posts about how renumbering stations is very complicated because of links to signalling systems etc, but this seems to have happened virtually overnight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have read posts about how renumbering stations is very complicated because of links to signalling systems etc, but this seems to have happened virtually overnight.

I think that's more to do with the relative amounts of work. In this case, there'd be a number of signalling changes to do anyway, because for example they've reversed a couple of crossovers, with all the related implications. It's also pretty difficult to introduce a pair of extra platform numbers with numbers lower than 1.

Famous examples such as the mess at Stratford remain predominantly because the signalling isn't due to be altered yet.

A-driver

Established Member
I wouldn't say it happened overnight-the renumbering has been planned for years.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was thinking of pointing that out - the physical change to the signs is the easy bit; getting the signalling changes in and tested ready to switch in is done out of sight of the public...

A-driver

Established Member
Obviously the new platforms are still a way away from being opened and the signalling changes aren't complete/commissioned yet, I'm not even sure if the new north crossover has even been wiered yet-will have a look tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.