• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

kkong

There is a £3.50 evening ticket which there are no details for. That is the only thing I can think of. That should offer you unlimited travel after 6 pm, if you want to test it.

This is part of the problem - lack of publicity and clarity on ticket pricing.

I couldn't even see the £3.05 single fare on First's website when I looked for it earlier today.

And how are we supposed to know what "fare stages" are (or were), or whether a particular journey will cost £1.95 or £3.05 ?

I can't wait for the multi-operator daily capping "coming in 2024" ! :s

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hullian111

I have really went off Hydrogen Power, apart from an unlikely power cut at King St depot operationally full EV electric buses are best.
How come? Personally, I've read a few suggestions in various bus and coach magazines that hydrogen is the way to go for long-distance/heavy-duty work, while electric is good for cities and short distance work, but given the abject lack of electric buses around where I'm from (besides the BZL demonstrator currently working in Hull), I can't personally make much judgement.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Upcoming Service Changes from 20th August​

Please refer to forthcoming timetables for the below services.

Service​

Changes​

1ARevised timetable with additional trip starting from John Street (previously served by service 1B)
1BWill replace current service 1B and will no longer serve bridge Of Don Park and Ride site and will instead continue out Ellon Road to Murcar roundabout then B999, Denmore Rd, Greenbrae Ave, then current route to Dubdford. This will allow us to serve Bridge Of Don retail park in both directions. Service 1B will now return from Guild St via Bridge Street and Union Street.
2SThis service will replace our current Harlaw Academy school services (service 62)
3/3ABoth sevices will now have a common terminal point in Cove, Cove Crescent at Cove Circle.
Revised timetables including service 3 only operating on Bank Holidays on a 20 minute frequency.
3BAn additional service 3B trip has been added to the morning timetable with both journeys now targeted for students starting at NESCOL.
The route has been amended to continue up to Cove roundabout allow us to provide two additional buses serving stops on Wellington Road for workers at Wellington Circle and also Lochside Academy. It will then serve Altens Industrial Estate via Souterhead Road, Crawlpeel Road and Hareness Road before using coast road to Cove.
3SReplaces service 31 and follows same route between Victoria Bridge and Lochside Academy.
11/11ABank Holiday service will now be 2 x hourly instead of 2 x 30 minutes frequency.
12Revised departures from Torry 19:30 - 20:30 Monday to Friday and Saturday.
Bank Holiday service will now be every 20 minutes instead of Saturday frequency every 12 minutes.
13Revised route at Aberdeen Beach area - Service 13 from town will now serve Constitution St, Left into Links Rd, Beach Esplande, Wellington St and Links Road to Beach Retail Park. Service 13 from Seaton will now serve Urquhart Rd, Left into Links Rd, Beach Esplanade, Wellington St and Links Road to Beach Retail Park.
Journeys which serve Footdee will still operate.
Bank Holiday timetable will now only serve Hillhead Of Seaton in the evening as per Monday to Friday timetable.
15/15BEX Balnagask 16:00 (Monday and Tuesday school days only) now starts 16:11 Victoria Bridge.
Saturday EX Balnagask 18:55, 19:17, 19:19:47. 20:17 now depart 8 minutes later.
Saturday EX Countesswells 20:15 now departs 20:20.
Bank Holiday timetable will now operate hourly instead of every 30 minutes.
17/17K/172Amended Monday to Saturday timetables.
Service 17 Bank Holiday timetable will now operate every 30 minutes instead of every 20 minute.
17ANo longer operates Monday to Saturday and replaced with service 17.
17SReplaces service 181 and starts from Faulds Gate terminus.
18Will now serve Mill Drive in Mugiemoss housing development.
Bank Holiday frequency amending from every 20 minutes to every 30 minute.
18ARevised number to show bus serves Altens Industrial Estate.
The route has been amended to continue up to Cove roundabout allow us to provide two additional buses serving stops on Wellington Road for workers at Wellington Circle and also Lochside Academy.
It will then serve Altens Industrial Estate via Souterhead Road, Crawlpeel Road and Hareness Rd, Minto Avenue, Minto Drive, Minto Road. Blackness Road, Souterhead Road.
It will then return to town via Wellington Road, West Tullos Road, Redmoss Road and normal route from Abbotswell Crescent.
18SReplaces service 182 and will follow the same route from Dyce as service 18 and service 182 from Duthie Park to Lochside Academy.
19Revised timing points along with Bank Holiday frequency amending from every 15 minutes to every 20 minutes.
19SReplaces service 419 Cults Academy to Milltimber and follows service 19 route from Tillydrone to North Deeside Road/Quarry Road, then follows same route as service 419 between from Cults Academy.
20Amended departure time from Guild Street on a Sunday.
During Aberdeen University term time, evening service will use King Street in both directions instead of Old Aberdeen providing students with link to Sport Village and businesses along King Street.
Between September and December (university term time) service 20 evening service will continue to 4AM. (Wednesday to Saturday)
23Bank Holiday frequency amended from every 12 minutes to every 20 minutes.
31Cancelled and replaced with service 3S
62Cancelled and replaced with service 2S (One journey to operate instead of 2)
181Cancelled and replaced with service 17S (starting from Faulds Gate terminus)
182Cancelled and replaced with service 18S (starts journey from Dyce)
183Cancelled
419Cancelled and replaced with service 419.

In other words the most significant changes...
  • Robert Gordon's University variations of the 1B renumbered to 1A
  • 1B rerouted to serve Murcar and Bridge Of Don Retail Park instead of Bridge Of Don P&R.
  • 3/3A rerouted via Cove Crescent.
  • 13 rerouted via the Beach Esplanade.
  • 20 rerouted to operate via King Street in the evening and a night service introduced.
  • School services revised and integrated in to existing routes.
  • Bank Holiday services reduced.
The changes overall make sense, nothing too major but it should allow better use of resources, particularly with the integration of school services in to the main network.

Volvodart

Established Member
Hopefully they have accounted for the double deckers from the school services being vital for capacity on the 1A in the morning to get students to University on time when the students are mostly in attendance in September/October and January/February.

• 1B rerouted to serve Murcar and Bridge Of Don Retail Park instead of Bridge Of Don P&R.
  • 20 rerouted to operate via King Street in the evening and a night service introduced.
The changes overall make sense, nothing too major but it should allow better use of resources, particularly with the integration of school services in to the main network.
No bus now serving Bridge of Don P&R, I completely agree with; its a ghost car park now.

Welcome changes to the 3/3A, makes them more streamlined if they all operate from Cove terminus.

The 19, can be operated by Streetlites and that can be troublesome for capacity, even on bank holidays. I know fine well the operation team and and management are walking passengers into a crowded bus.

I’m surprised the 1 & 2 don’t get slight reductions in frequency on bank holidays; they usually use a standard Mon - Fri timetable on bank holidays and it’s not needed.

The 13 serving the actual beach front is a bonus, however, I think this is only needed on Saturday when it’s a particularly busy area, and at no other time. I would also question whether the 13 needs to serve Urquhart St given that Seaforth Rd has a stop within reasonable walking distance from the Urquhart St stop, Urquhart st has no stops at its south end that aren’t accessible from Constitution St.

Hopefully they have accounted for the double deckers from the school services being vital for capacity on the 1A in the morning to get students to University on time when the students are mostly in attendance in September/October and January/February.
You can almost be guaranteed that there will be issues with capacity somewhere; there were issues last year with students being left on Union St and I quote First Aberdeen in saying last “we had our highest capacity vehicles” on service, even that wasn’t enough.

This is all dependent on driver availability of course. At what point the flow of drivers will stop is yet to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
No bus now serving Bridge of Don P&R, I completely agree with; its a ghost car park now.
The Park & Ride declined years ago. The 2008 financial crisis was really the starting point, however there were other factors such as the location and the existence of the Park & Ride at Ellon. The change to the 1B addresses the long standing request for a service to Bridge Of Don Retail Park while also serving the quickly growing housing estate at Murcar, so it makes total sense, especially when you consider its a cost neutral move. It is a shame that they don't use the excessive layover at Dubford to extend the 1B to Whitestripes via Jesmond Drive; this would reinstate some of the much needed links lost when the 8 was axed while also providing new links from Bridge Of Don Retail Park to the residential areas.
The 13 serving the actual beach front is a bonus, however, I think this is only needed on Saturday when it’s a particularly busy area, and at no other time.
It doesn't make any difference to running time so they might as well just have all 13s go along the beach front rather than serving the same bit of road twice.

It'll be interesting to see where the Beach Retail Park timing point is. The location of the current one (the stop outside Dunelm after you double back at the roundabout) is a classic First mess up.
I would also question whether the 13 needs to serve Urquhart St given that Seaforth Rd has a stop within reasonable walking distance from the Urquhart St stop, Urquhart st has no stops at its south end that aren’t accessible from Constitution St.
The 13 doesn't serve Urquhart Street.

The Park & Ride declined years ago. The 2008 financial crisis was really the starting point, however there were other factors such as the location and the existence of the Park & Ride at Ellon. The change to the 1B addresses the long standing request for a service to Bridge Of Don Retail Park while also serving the quickly growing housing estate at Murcar, so it makes total sense, especially when you consider its a cost neutral move. It is a shame that they don't use the excessive layover at Dubford to extend the 1B to Whitestripes via Jesmond Drive; this would reinstate some of the much needed links lost when the 8 was axed while also providing new links from Bridge Of Don Retail Park to the residential areas.
I personally think the extra layover on the 1B travelling to Dubford could be utilised via St Machar Dr, Tillydrone Rd, Whitestripes Ave, Middleton park Asda/Jesmond, Greenbrae Dr and so on, I myself don’t really get going to Bridge of Don P&R, only really for a Costa, BnQ and so on..that’s lost on me.

However, there are two other changes to the 1B which are positive and not so positive, so those who used to get on the 1B for work for the factory’s(surrounding Sterling Home) at the bottom of Denmore road have been left out now they have a walk and the payoff for this change to the 1B probably won’t make any positive financial difference for First own endeavour here other than upheaval to those who got this bus from the city centre to the bottom of Denmore Rd.

The positive thing is that they’ve finally realised is that the 1B using Bridge St > Union St going to Dubford is much more straight forward and logical, I’m assuming it will stop at Belmont St now?

It doesn't make any difference to running time so they might as well just have all 13s go along the beach front rather than serving the same bit of road twice.

It'll be interesting to see where the Beach Retail Park timing point is. The location of the current one (the stop outside Dunelm after you double back at the roundabout) is a classic First mess up.
However, driver common sense prevails here, For 5 months now I’ve seen no driver waiting any time next to the Dunelms store, they knowing fine well the opposite side of the road has the Laybuy-style bus stop, therefore obviously not blocking the road when there’s absolutely no need, this being a frankly pathetic timing point decision.

The other issue I take with the 13 now going around the Esplanade is the fact you most likely will now get those at the beach getting priority verses those standing at arguably the busiest stop at Asda, at least having most people actually at Asda ment they lined up in turn, mostly.

That is where the boardroom cluelessness at First is seriously uninformed.

Speak to a manager in Aberdeen(which I had the displeasure of recently) about anything to do with feedback and it’s always(ALWAYS!) about potential for extra revenue not really about making something sensible, straightforward & Logical.

I have no fear in saying that 2 weeks ago was actually my last week in Aberdeen, different city, same story with the company, time came to an end seeing there stupidity in many areas and a singular focus on revenue alone in many cases, I find it incompatible with how I personally see a bus service and how things should be.

The 13 doesn't serve Urquhart Street.
My apologies, Urquhart Rd.

I would like to briefly mention the number 20 timetable being extended to 4am in the morning, I see this is likely because they have now got a few of there own drivers route learned on more routes, this took place a couple of weeks ago, however, it employment but retainment is going to be there biggest challenge, I guarantee it and the management are more or less oblivious to many issues driver feel exist.

There is a paydeal vote due in august I’m sure, most likely this will lead strike action and afterwards likely a fare increases, even then I fear long term they will lose a number of those who have been employed within the last 12 months, going by the general discussion I’ve been able to have with there own employees, disheartenment certainly doesn’t take long to sink in, that’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed after doing this job for roughly 15 yrs.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I personally think the extra layover on the 1B travelling to Dubford could be utilised via St Machar Dr, Tillydrone Rd, Whitestripes Ave, Middleton park Asda/Jesmond, Greenbrae Dr and so on, I myself don’t really get going to Bridge of Don P&R, only really for a Costa, BnQ and so on..that’s lost on me.
I'd agree. To add on to that since its a related point the failure of the 8/9 were nothing to do with the routes themselves but rather poor management. For example the original routing had the 8 bypassing Danestone and the 9 bypassing Whitestripes while only the 8 served Dubford. It took a year until they finally got the routing right, by which point the 18 had been rerouted via Danestone thus meaning Tillydrone Road was overserved with up to 10 buses per hour and a 18 or 19 would frequently run ahead of a 8/9.

Its a point i've made numerous times before but when the Diamond Bridge opened in 2016 the 1 should've been cut back from Danestone and the 19 extended over to Dubford via Danestone, Whitestripes, Jesmond & Dubford.

Alternatively bring back the old 5! :lol:
The positive thing is that they’ve finally realised is that the 1B using Bridge St > Union St going to Dubford is much more straight forward and logical, I’m assuming it will stop at Belmont St now?
Again classic First that its taken over a year for this to happen. The simple reason and a pretty shoddy excuse as to why the 1B still returns to Dubford via Guild Street and Market Street goes back to the pandemic when Union Street was shut. In short when Union Street reopened in 2022 service changes were registered for all routes that formally served the centre section of Union Street with the exception of the 1/1B/2.

I would assume the 1B will serve Stop E1 on Bridge Street and then F2 on Union Street as per the 1/2. Before the Pandemic the 1B used to operate via St Nicholas Kirk and terminate at Bridge Street, albeit this was mostly due to the fact that during the University Open timetable the 1B would extend to RGU, so the routing was done in a way so that between St Nicholas Kirk and Dubford the timetable was the same regardless of if the University was open or closed.
However, driver common sense prevails here, For 5 months now I’ve seen no driver waiting any time next to the Dunelms store, they knowing fine well the opposite side of the road has the Laybuy-style bus stop, therefore obviously not blocking the road when there’s absolutely no need, this being a frankly pathetic timing point decision.
Exactly... In the ideal world the timing point should be at the stop next to ASDA with a layby put in, however i believe the area of grass behind the bus shelter is owned by the owners of the Retail Park rather than the council, bureaucracy getting in the way of common sense as is so often the case...
The other issue I take with the 13 now going around the Esplanade is the fact you most likely will now get those at the beach getting priority verses those standing at arguably the busiest stop at Asda, at least having most people actually at Asda ment they lined up in turn, mostly.
This wasn't too much of an issue when the 15 and its predecessors served the beach front. Usually people who were at the likes of Codona's tended to go to the ASDA stop not the beach front stops.
My apologies, Urquhart Rd.
There's quite a bit of housing around there that isn't that near to the Seaforth Road or Constitution Street stops. I live in that area and usually use the Urquhart Road stops whenever i get the 13 as they're a lot more convenient. You can't walk through the housing developments at either side of that end of Urquhart Road either as they're walled off in to sections.

What i find ridiculous is stopping arrangements around the Links Road / Constitution Street junction. There's three different stops all within 20-30 metres of each other that you can use if traveling to Seaton and two if you're traveling towards town. Notably the two additional stops installed in November will become obsolete with these upcoming changes...
There is a paydeal vote due in august I’m sure, most likely this will lead strike action and afterwards likely a fare increases, even then I fear long term they will lose a number of those who have been employed within the last 12 months, going by the general discussion I’ve been able to have with there own employees, disheartenment certainly doesn’t take long to sink in, that’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed after doing this job for roughly 15 yrs.
A lot of drivers aren't happy with the £12.24 per hour pay rate which i believe is the lowest in the group, there has also been issues with drivers getting their shifts changed without notice which isn't allowed. The recent wrap applied to 38213 only really fuelled the frustration.....

fife_circle

I’m glad they’ve put a late night extension on the 20. Will this remain the number 20 in the evening or will it become an N20. If it does remain 20 will they be accepting NEC cards on the service? Feels like a good way to make some extra money charging for the service after midnight.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Volvo B7RLE 69130 SV07EHG has entered preservation. It is to be eventually restored back to as new condition.

Volvodart

Established Member
I’m glad they’ve put a late night extension on the 20. Will this remain the number 20 in the evening or will it become an N20. If it does remain 20 will they be accepting NEC cards on the service? Feels like a good way to make some extra money charging for the service after midnight.
I would expect it to remain the 20. The Bridges used to have daily later services with the same numbers, although they served more terminals at the Bridge of Don end.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Volvo B7RLE 69130 SV07EHG has entered preservation. It is to be eventually restored back to as new condition.
First preserved D7E engined B7RLE iirc

Edit: On a technicality it is, there was an Arriva one preserved around a year ago however thats no longer preserved and back in PSV service, so this is the first preserved D7E B7RLE

Jordan Adam

Established Member
First preserved D7E engined B7RLE iirc
Indeed and one of the best D7E ones about imo, both it and 69283 go like stabbed rats.

Some clips of 69130 in its final weeks of service.

The timetables are now online for the changes listed above - https://www.firstbus.co.uk/aberdeen/plan-journey/timetables?date=2023-08-20&page=0

Last edited:

fife_circle

Pleasantly surprised to see the 20 will continue on a 30 minute frequency through the night. Had assumed they might go hourly

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Pleasantly surprised to see the 20 will continue on a 30 minute frequency through the night. Had assumed they might go hourly
The alternative would've been for the bus to sit around doing nothing so it makes sense.
I can’t see it behind overly popular, not with those who will most likely get a taxi back home..
I wouldn't be so sure. Whether or not NECs are accepted will be the big game changer, the fact its numbered 20 and not N20 would allude to normal fares applying.

fife_circle

If they advertise it properly at the student village it should do well especially if it runs through freshers week. I can’t recall if that is classed as term time or not for first. Having just finished first year at Aberdeen getting back to Hillhead is an absolute nightmare especially with the taxi queues. If only this had come a year earlier.

—New post—
Will the evening 20s now be going straight up king street from Union street once the new timetable comes into force? If so wondering what the rationale behind this decision is. King street is already well served by busses and it means people in old Aberdeen are losing a bus link. I could understand the new night service using king street instead as there is probably more of a market along there than old Aberdeen, however, the 8-11pm journeys could still serve the original route.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Will the evening 20s now be going straight up king street from Union street once the new timetable comes into force? If so wondering what the rationale behind this decision is. King street is already well served by busses and it means people in old Aberdeen are losing a bus link. I could understand the new night service using king street instead as there is probably more of a market along there than old Aberdeen, however, the 8-11pm journeys could still serve the original route.
I live nearby and frequently go for a walk through the area in the evening, Old Aberdeen is usually dead after 19:00 to the point where you could hear a pin drop. Going via King Street in the evening will provide more in demand links for that time of day, for example to/from Sports Village and provide two additional buses per hour which will relieve pressure from the 1/1B/2 and Stagecoach services which have particularly struggled in the evening since the Under 22s scheme started. Getting a bus from Urquhart Road towards Garthdee after 18:00 on a Friday or Saturday evening can be a nightmare. It doesn't help that First insist on using single deckers in the evening.

It's not entirely clear yet but i would assume the evening/night service will follow the normal route to Mounthooly Roundabout, down Mounthooly Way and then along King Street resuming the normal route to Hillhead from the St Machar Roundabout. Once the new timetable data is on Bustimes and the FirstApp it will become apparent what the exact routing is, albeit as per usual First could've been clearer on the service change article.

Volvodart

Established Member
The timetable is on Traveline Scotland - the evening 20 goes straight up King Street.

Posted in the York thread as well, but I believe the plan is for 11101-5 and 11107 to just be scrapped now rather than go to Aberdeen once electrics are in service in York. Shame as they’re such nice buses just need looking after properly

Volvodart

Established Member
Only recently has Aberdeen had the majority of the existing 9 in service at the same time regularly since their arrival a few years ago, so there would not have time to make them reliable before they were scrapped anyway!

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I imagine the Mercs will be gone in the next couple of years anyway as they are about 14 now. I see Ensign are getting some ex-Kernow/Aberdeen E500s so I wonder if eventually the 1/2 buses will be replaced in one big order considering they are of similar ages.

There was lots of talk about the ART system specifying hydrogen articulated buses but I think it was previously said in this forum that such a thing would take years to implement.

I’m wondering post-Covid whether artics are still needed for the 1/2 routes especially with the emphasis on home working. I wonder if deckers would suffice.

83G/84D

Established Member

I am not sure if the link will open as it’s a private Facebook group however the ex Aberdeen Enviro 500’s in Camborne are being withdrawn and going to Ensign. Not sure if they will use them or be sold on. 38201 was first to leave.

Volvodart

Established Member
I don't think the evening ticket was it (or it starts later than 6pm).

I made two journeys after 6pm last night and was charged £3.05 + £1.65 = £4.70 which is the two-trip ticket price.
As I said before information was lacking. It used to be after 7.00 p.m. when there was information on the First website

Volvodart

Established Member
Ensignbus are advertising for sale some of the ex Aberdeen Euro 4 Enviro 500s that went to Cornwall. The advert states Euro 6 ones (from Aberdeen) will be available in due course.