• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Aberdeen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
First Aberdeen is having an open day this year on 26 August.

First Aberdeen re-introduces 1970s livery to mark 125 year​

First Aberdeen is celebrating its 125th anniversary by bringing back the design of one of its buses from the 1970s and 1980s.
The operator has painted one of its fleet, an Alexander Dennis Enviro500, in the green, cream and orange heritage livery that was seen on its Leyland Atlantean buses for around 15 years.
Today marks the start of several months of celebrations, which will culminate on 26 August – the day on which First Aberdeen’s predecessor, Aberdeen Corporation Tramway, began operations in 1898. The finale will involve an open day at First Aberdeen’s King Street depot in which historic buses from as far back as 1930 will be exhibited alongside modern-day vehicles.
Today’s fleet of 98 includes zero-emission hydrogen buses and it will soon comprise its first electric vehicles.
David Adam, who started with First Aberdeen 44 years ago as a driver and is now Head of Operations, says: “It’s funny seeing these old buses return. It takes me back to the days of driving around with three layers of clothing, with my New Romantics-style Arran jumper on to ward off the cold before we had central heating installed.
“I started out as a bus driver at just 21 and remember having to stand up to put all my effort into turning the steering wheel on buses that looked like this, before we had widespread power steering.
“When I left school at 16 and took a job as a junior clerk in the travel depot, I never imagined that 44 years later I would still be here. But it’s been great to see how the company has evolved over the years, and how it invests in vehicles for the future.”
Duncan Cameron, Managing Director of First Bus Scotland, adds: “Our buses have served generations throughout the city, and this iconic heritage livery has certainly resurfaced a lot of nostalgia from over the years.
“But as we celebrate our past, and how far we’ve come in delivering affordable and reliable travel in Aberdeen for 125 years, we’re also looking to our future, and planning how we can improve our service and sustainability in the city for the years ahead.
“We’ve been on a great journey so far and are proud to have given Aberdeen more than a lifetime of service. Today, we’re looking forward to a green future, as we strive to invest and innovate to offer Aberdeen sustainable travel for the next 125 years.”

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
67090 is now the first Enviro200MMC to be withdrawn pending transfer to Glasgow.

All 7 E200MMCs are being swapped with Enviro300s from Glasgow due to reliability issues. It is hoped that the greater spare parts availability at Glasgow along with the type being more common there will see their reliability improved. In recent years its not been uncommon for more than half of the E200MMCs to be VOR at the same time.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
67090 is now the first Enviro200MMC to be withdrawn pending transfer to Glasgow.

All 7 E200MMCs are being swapped with Enviro300s from Glasgow due to reliability issues. It is hoped that the greater spare parts availability at Glasgow along with the type being more common there will see their reliability improved. In recent years its not been uncommon for more than half of the E200MMCs to be VOR at the same time.
Makes sense but in true First fashion they literally just painted 67086.

I wonder if they’ll join the rest of the MMCs at Lanarkshire or if they’ll go to Caledonia.

Volvodart

Established Member
It was not intended to paint it, but it received accident damage so would have been in Glasgow anyway so they decided to paint it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Makes sense but in true First fashion they literally just painted 67086.

I wonder if they’ll join the rest of the MMCs at Lanarkshire or if they’ll go to Caledonia.
Even worse some of the E300s due to move (67806 upwards) have just recently been repainted too. As Volvodart mentions 67086 had accident damage so had to go to Glasgow for repaint anyway. The engineering manager at Aberdeen has been trying to get rid of the E200MMCs for the past two to three years, hence why with the exception of 67086 none of them have been repainted.

stevenedin

Even worse some of the E300s due to move (67806 upwards) have just recently been repainted too. As Volvodart mentions 67086 had accident damage so had to go to Glasgow for repaint anyway. The engineering manager at Aberdeen has been trying to get rid of the E200MMCs for the past two to three years, hence why with the exception of 67086 none of them have been repainted.
I’m guessing that they will repaint all E200MMCs into Glasgow colours but any newly painted ones from Glasgow that come up can still operate as technically the Glasgow livery is more of a standard First livery so there won’t be an urgency for them to be repainted again straight away.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I guess it makes more sense to send E300s Aberdeen’s way than Streetlites :p

Aberdeen’s E200MMCs have slightly different interiors to Glasgow’s though if I remember rightly?

I’m guessing that they will repaint all E200MMCs into Glasgow colours but any newly painted ones from Glasgow that come up can still operate as technically the Glasgow livery is more of a standard First livery so there won’t be an urgency for them to be repainted again straight away.
It’s a mess.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
According to the First fleet manager it isn't a simple case of 67806-67814 coming up either.
67806 is first with 67728 & 67890 to follow, the rest haven't been decided yet.
I wasn't convinced it would be 67806-14.

Those were the ones earmarked for transfer to Aberdeen under the proposals late last year replacing the non-Euro 6 B7RLEs but obviously circumstances have changed since then.

All that had been said at the Aberdeen end this time round was that it would be "67806 upwards".

I wasn't convinced it would be 67806-14.

Those were the ones earmarked for transfer to Aberdeen under the proposals late last year replacing the non-Euro 6 B7RLEs but obviously circumstances have changed since then.

All that had been said at the Aberdeen end this time round was that it would be "67806 upwards".
The Enviro 300s are horrendous buses, truly!!

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The Enviro 300s are horrendous buses, truly!!
I wasn’t the biggest fan of the E300s when new. I found them to be poorly built with small wheels and single glazing but they’ve proved to be really good buses and lasted the test of time.

Most of them could be doing with a refurb now mine you - I was on one a few weeks ago and the seats were in an appalling state.

Spsf3232

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the E300s when new. I found them to be poorly built with small wheels and single glazing but they’ve proved to be really good buses and lasted the test of time.

Most of them could be doing with a refurb now mine you - I was on one a few weeks ago and the seats were in an appalling state.
I always found them to feel like they are going to fall over and then the dragging brakes when moving off don't help there case either. How they managed to go from the simple Dart which just worked to that and onto the MMC I will never know

OptareLover

On Moderation
A while yet, there's no plans to replace them at the moment.
Ah, okay. Planning to try one at some point (hopefully in the summer).

Does anyone know if the Citaros are any good?

Whilst First Glasgow is still not tracking or giving allocations on the bustimes.org vehicle page, I have just noticed that the stop departure lists gives vehicle ID.
This is the same for First Aberdeen.

Last edited:
Given the issues with anti-social behaviour onboard buses, First Aberdeen aren’t without their fair share.

Earlier this afternoon this was a printout (pictured below) from myself detailing an issue around Garthdee concerning the 1 & 2 routes.

Simply don’t let them on, no description or anything to identify said group.

A pretty useless approach I think.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    882.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Given the issues with anti-social behaviour onboard buses, First Aberdeen aren’t without there fair share.

Earlier this afternoon this was a printout (pictured below) from myself detailing an issue around Garthdee concerning the 1 & 2 routes.

Simply don’t let them on, no description or anything to identify said group.

A pretty useless approach I think.
The expression "as useless as a chocolate teapot" springs to mind. It's horrible that drivers are having to deal with this so regularly.

Volvodart

Established Member
69129 is out of MOT and not really needed with the electric buses coming and peak vehicle requirement reducing next week. Future use may depend on anyone else wanting it.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Does anyone know if 38203 and/or 69129 are withdrawn yet?
Neither are withdrawn.

38203 is awaiting a new drive axle, 69129 is due to be sent to Volvo for new fuel injectors.

All 19 Euro 6 B7RLEs (69125-34/254/58/63/65/66/67/82/83/84) are earmarked to join the training fleets at Aberdeen and Glasgow.

OptareLover

On Moderation
Neither are withdrawn.

38203 is awaiting a new drive axle, 69129 is due to be sent to Volvo for new fuel injectors.

All 19 Euro 6 B7RLEs (69125-34/254/58/63/65/66/67/82/83/84) are earmarked to join the training fleets at Aberdeen and Glasgow.
I saw a TikTok saying 38203 & 69129 are withdrawn, must be fake.

Good they aren't withdrawn, both beasts I'm assuming.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I saw a TikTok saying 38203 & 69129 are withdrawn, must be fake.
Indeed it is inaccurate, the same user has been claiming that Stagecoach 10533 is at Tullos being repaired for the past year!

Some people seem to see a bus with one or two panels missing and just assume it's withdrawn when it's not.

OptareLover

On Moderation
Some people seem to see a bus with one or two panels missing and just assume it's withdrawn when it's not.
It was a very bad photo taken of the First Aberdeen depot. Just because you've "seen" something in a depot, it doesn't mean the buses are withdrawn.