• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

first capital connect and greater anglia

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Wiki reports all 13 FCC 321s refurbished externally and internally can nayone confirm this is correct?

Also I hear the Greater Anglia franchise will be extended by two years as experimental contract. It will be relet (?) to create competition and investment if I'm reading it right.

Franchise will be properly relet 2013 along with C2C (not sure what happening to C2C next year though) and East Coast plus possibly Transpennine Express

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
What does Wiki mean by "refurbished internally and externally"? The FCC "Bins" I saw at Cambridge were repainted on the outside (does this count as a refurb...?) though I couldn't see what state the interior was. Do these units have FCC seat covers? However, the old BR destination indicators were still being used and not the newer PIS system that now graces all of NX's "Bins", including those cascaded from LM.

The second part of your post appears to be correct, although it remains to be seen under what terms these experimental contracts will operate and how they will create the chance for TOC's to invest and innovate. Two years isn't a very long time to innovate, especially for a franchisee that has already been told it's losing it's contract. I suspect this is another case of "wait and see".

O L Leigh

Skimble19

Established Member
I believe some of FCC's 321's are still being "refurbished", although to be honest it's not even a refurbishment, just a refresh at best.. unless you count new seat covers that look 5 years old after a week and a splash of pink onto some grab rails as a refurb of course?

As for NXEA, the franchise has been extended by another 7 months so far, although I'd say it's likely to get a further extension, it expires way too close to the Olympics at the moment and they aren't going to want a change of TOC just before that!

387star

On Moderation
Did FCC fit new floors to the 321s or the three 313s for that matter? btw 313134 named city of london
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
regarding the greater anglia franchise is this to be relet to another operator or continue till 2013 under Nat Express? This bugs me

Lets hope the full 321 and 317/6 refurbishment goes ahead along with the 170s as detailed in RAIL

Skimble19

Established Member
Well, I don't know about fitting new floors but they have put new lino on the 321's. Can't say for the three 313's as haven't been on one yet.

At the moment I believe its certain that NXEA will continue for an extra 7 months. After that I'd assume it would be extended again to cover the Olympics, and then relet.

As for the 321 / 317/6 refurbs, I see no reason why they wouldn't continue?

387star

On Moderation
shame all the 321s didn't go to FCC then 313s could be replaced- would just about add up if NXEA had further 379s!

Have LM finished repainting its 7 yet and is there a time scale for these to stay with LM or is it indefinate

jopsuk

Veteran Member
321s can't replace 313s- they have no 3rd rail capability, and I don't think any of the mrk3 based units has ever been tested down the Moorgate tubes to see if they fit. The only thing more 321s could replace at FCC would be the 317s, and LM don't have enough of them to displace the FCC 317 fleet.

Have LM finished repainting its 7 yet and is there a time scale for these to stay with LM or is it indefinate

321413 was still in Silverlink livery when I went on it on that St Albans Abbey line about 2/3 weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.