• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Capital Connect Bedford Depot Drivers-3678 LH

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPADTrap

Established Member
Just seen FCC are recruiting for depot drivers at Bedford. Closing date I think is 01/04/13!

Good luck to those applying!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
I also think the role has slightly changed now as depot drivers can now drive between Bedford station/sidings and Cauldwell depot.

Dano28

If you have passed all the mainline trainee driver assessments with FCC but are waiting for a position, would you have to sit the psychometric tests for this position does anybody know? Cheers

westcoaster

Established Member
If you have passed all the mainline trainee driver assessments with FCC but are waiting for a position, would you have to sit the psychometric tests for this position does anybody know? Cheers

I believe so yes, as you would drive on the main line as I said above.

Dano28

Thanks westcoaster, just to clarify I have taken and passed the mainline driver recruitment tests but these would not count or be taken into consideration for the depot driver position? (as far as you are aware)

Does anybody know in that case what the psychometric tests are likely to consist of, would have thought the mainline recruitment tests where of the same if not higher standard?

Thanks

westcoaster

Established Member
Oops misread what you put if you have already done the tests and passed I don't see why they would not be valid.

playmore64

@ Dano20, if you have passed the assessment in the past with FCC you do not need to redo the whole assessment.

The only thing you may need to retake is perhaps the DMI other than that you are free to apply but do not forget to mention this to the HR team:D

Good luck to all those apply:D

Beveridges

Established Member
The standards for psychometric tests are exactly the same for both depot drivers and mainline drivers. There is no difference.

If you do get the job as a Depot Driver, don't automatically assume the grass is greener on the mainline. Do your research and weigh up the pros and cons before considering making a move. In some TOC's, the Depot Driver role is a decent seperate role in itself, and is not simply a stepping stone to mainline.

SPADTrap

Established Member
The standards for psychometric tests are exactly the same for both depot drivers and mainline drivers. There is no difference.

If you do get the job as a Depot Driver, don't automatically assume the grass is greener on the mainline. Do your research and weigh up the pros and cons before considering making a move. In some TOC's, the Depot Driver role is a decent seperate role in itself, and is not simply a stepping stone to mainline.

Totally agree with you on this one. I'm sure the assessors will be aware of this too. I'm more interested in the variety and the actual work the depot offers - lots of different moves and rush to ready units for peak etc etc.

Beveridges

Established Member
At a busy complex depot there will be over 10,000 different possible moves you can do. See thread "Depot Driver" for my brief description of the role.

Last edited:

Skimble19

Established Member
Quick (and probably fairly obvious) question: Why is a full UK Driving License necessary? Surely the similarities between driving a train and a car are pretty minute?

Jordeh

Quick (and probably fairly obvious) question: Why is a full UK Driving License necessary? Surely the similarities between driving a train and a car are pretty minute?
I believe it's so you can get to the depot quickly and easily if needs be.

Dave1987

On Moderation
It seems that some ppl are confusing the role of a depot driver from TOC to TOC. At GA the role of a DD is considered a stepping stone to mainline. Indeed in the seniority lists for depot mainline links there are depot drivers ahead of mainline drivers for the links. Every depot has to have at two mainline qualified depot drivers in it. When it is your turn you get mainline trained an then when you are top of the list for a mainline link you get the next available link regardless of if there are already qualified mainline drivers applying for the depot.

I appreciate that this is not the case at every TOC but it is what happens at GA.

jc1

Got a rejection e mail today.Oh well atleast I didnt have to wait months.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I hear the 5 vacancies went to internal candidates. This doesn't look good!

SPADTrap

Established Member
Can anyone confirm which tests / interviews FCC uses?

For Trainee Drivers its:

Fault Finding
Group Bourden
SCAAT
Verbal
Dials
Structured Interview
Managerial Interview

From last year anyways.

MacRae13

I'm sure this vacancy had a closing date of 1.4.13 but it's gone from the First vacancy page today :(

Beveridges

Established Member
Especially Depot Driving - which has even less similarities to driving a car than mainline driving.
Seems strange to ask for a full UK Driving License for purposes of getting to work when some people live within reasonable cycling distance from depots!
I know that theres plenty of Depot Staff who get to work by bycycle.

st.ives

I have just submitted my application, my first for a driver job. I'll update as I hear.

Sbarfoot

Saw the ad as relisted today. I live about 15 mins outside the target time to the depot. Shame but nvm. Good luck to everyone who has applied

Status
Not open for further replies.