• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class 156 up for disposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towers

Established Member
Of course politics and paperwork are both endless hurdles, but overall it really would be quite something if a perfectly serviceable DMU leaves frontline use at the same time other TOCs are routinely cancelled scheduled services as they simply don’t have enough trains if it isn’t a good day on the maintenance front. Really sums up a few of the pitfalls of a deeply fragemented railway!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

What is the reason Scotrail handed it back?

Leasing cost maybe, or has it proven unreliable after it's rebuild?

It was the most reliable 156 in the fleet after Brodie Engineering rebuilt it. I was Always happy to drive it over the Springburn refurbished units.

The leasing costs for 156 478 from Brodies to ScotRail were £18,000 per month. Not sure what Angel charge them for their 156s, but I'd imagine it is similar.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The four at Ely didn't go to Northern as they're owned by a different leasing company from the other ex-EMR units (Angel instead of Porterbrook).
Didn't they come from Northern years ago? I think as part of the four car west of Nottingham plan. The 37s on the Cumbrian coast replaced them. I could have made all this up!

1Q18

They’re not PRM but are CET fitted. NR have acquired a few CET fitted Mark 2 TSOs from DRS, which are presumably to replace the hired ex-sleeper vehicles.
The DBSOs used in the ultrasonic sets have had CET toilets fitted, the sleeper vehicles were to provide cover while that work was undertaken and are more or less just brake runners now until they go off hire, which my colleagues on that team suggest is imminent. The ex-DRS Mk2s are simply used as brake runners, the toilets aboard them aren’t used.

DanNCL

Established Member
Didn't they come from Northern years ago? I think as part of the four car west of Nottingham plan. The 37s on the Cumbrian coast replaced them. I could have made all this up!
They did but it was long before the 37s appeared on the Cumbrian Coast. I seem to recall it was linked to the Oldham Loop closing for conversion to Metrolink.

warwickshire

On Moderation
This was something else, The x9 Class turbostars 170301 to 170309 two car units transfer to Chiltern railways from Transpennie Express which happened in two batches, involving the first batch of five, which left Transpennie Express short of four x 185 units in total, However Transpennie Express at the time hired in Four x 156s from Northern on, Of what I can Remember on the Blackpool North to Manchester Airport route, which in turn left Northern short for the Lancaster to Carlisle via Workington line from 156s, x 4 which then in turn led to Locomotive hauled on the above Cumbrian line services.

Mat17

Those are fair points. I wouldn’t say 153s (in terms of the base units rather than the equipment fitted to them) have been tremendously successful for Network Rail in terms of reliability, with at least one route having barred them from being operated as single units, so I could see a two-car unit being tempting from a redundancy point of view. This 156 does also come with the benefit that it already has a CET toilet fitted, for the driver and the on train technicians if it ran with any (the TRU needs OTTs aboard, the 153s don’t). While it is a different design to the TRU and the 153s, it’s similar enough that driver conversion at least wouldn’t take long. I’m not necessarily saying an IM conversion is likely, just that it’s a possibility.

I wonder if the 155s will follow the 153s to NR in time?

Easier than a 156 perhaps? Just a thought.

m79900

LSL do seem to like the scenic Scottish routes which would be perfect for this unit. I just can't see how a charter company or heritage line will get much interest in a 156 whilst there are hundreds in service every day
To be fair, I'm sure Mr Hosking could easily afford to fit it with brand new 3d printed Ashbournes, so that would sort the problem of it looking too modern.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This was something else, The x9 Class turbostars 170301 to 170309 two car units transfer to Chiltern railways from Transpennie Express which happened in two batches, involving the first batch of five, which left Transpennie Express short of four x 185 units in total, However Transpennie Express at the time hired in Four x 156s from Northern on, Of what I can Remember on the Blackpool North to Manchester Airport route, which in turn left Northern short for the Lancaster to Carlisle via Workington line from 156s, x 4 which then in turn led to Locomotive hauled on the above Cumbrian line services.
Yes that makes sense. Thanks.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
A few weeks ago (likely 6/12/2023) I noticed the 156 had been sold.
https://apex-group.com/auction#!/itemDetails/6436/830433 said:
This Item Has Been Sold via Make Offer
Sorry for the delay in mentioning it here, I thought I already had!

I assume noone's noticed it moving.

Last edited:

diligentdave

A few weeks ago (likely 6/12/2023) I noticed the 156 had been sold.

Sorry for the delay in mentioning it here, I thought I already had!

I assume noone's noticed it moving.
Won't be going anywhere for a bit. It's going to have a C6 and refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.