• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First class in TER trains in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

Just been booted out of a first class carriage on the 0744 Chambery to Lyon TER, along with several other people. Corail carriage looks like it's been newly refurbished, other stock usual faded corail second class. I thought TER is all second class! So does anyone know anything about this rule, is it for season ticket holders who might otherwise use TGV? There were several business types in the carriage.....who apparently had the right tickets.

Just seen (0812)
another corail TER at Pont de Beauvoisin headed for Chambery also conveying a shiny first class carriage......

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some TER trains have 1st class e.g. Basel to Strasbourg.

The train you were on appears to be advertised as 2nd only; in GB that would mean any additional 1st class coach/area is automatically declassified (unless marked out of use) however I don't know what the rule is in France; they may not be as sensible as that.

Last edited:

peteb

Only seems to be on Chambery Lyon route: Geneva Grenoble, Annecy Valence etc all second or declassified.....as per my experiences yesterday....
Still on Lyon bound train but my French not good enough to ask the gripper for his explanation....
I wonder who'd buy a first class ticket Chambery to Lyon and risk a unit instead of loco hauled.....
Off to Avignon next so will see what rules apply to TER on that route.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
A number of TER trains in the Rhone Alpes region do have booked first class accommodation. This DOES include the 07.44 from Chambery to Lyon. First class fares are available at about 50% more than second class.

Sorry I don't appear to be able to do a link but the following comes from a journey enquiry on the SNCF website for tomorrow.

• 07h44
      Chambéry - Challes-les-Eaux
      Arrivée09h10
      Lyon Part Dieu

Billet Tarif Normal Régional​

21,30 €
    Voyageur 1
    Adulte - Remboursable
    Conditions
    2nde classe21,30 €

Billet Tarif Normal Régional​

32,30 €
    Voyageur 1
    Adulte - Remboursable
    Conditions
    1ère classe32,30 €

peteb

Thanks for that clarification, mystery solved!! No wonder they keep first in such good condition!

On Moderation

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I looked the train up in the Interrail planner and it was shown there as 2nd class only.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can well believe the data that SNCF provide to external organisations is less than complete/accurate/up to date! I note that the DB Journey Planner also believes this train to be 2nd class only for example.

peteb

Travelling to Avignon on 1058 ex Lyon TER sat in super deluxe Corail first class compartment stock, grippers not bothered!! So obviously the Marseille Lyon route is declassified.

By the way this train runs till Friday, very scenic route on good line and very empty train, loco hauled corail.

rvdborgt

I can well believe the data that SNCF provide to external organisations is less than complete/accurate/up to date! I note that the DB Journey Planner also believes this train to be 2nd class only for example.
That usually means indeed that SNCF sent incorrect or incomplete data to the European Timetable Centre (MERITS).

dutchflyer

Established Member
There is no universal rule anymore, as the regions set their own policies re trains by TER. Which hence may very well mean that when changing those trains nr 1 has it and #2 not-or reverse. I kind of recall that the odd region even has it only mo-fr, working days.
But if it is declassified I also kind of recall there is always a note or sign to that effect somewhere. And/or also on platform indicators telling the travelling public what classes are on offer -for that train on that day.

Chris Butler

Some TER trains have 1st class e.g. Basel to Strasbourg.

The train you were on appears to be advertised as 2nd only; in GB that would mean any additional 1st class coach/area is automatically declassified (unless marked out of use) however I don't know what the rule is in France; they may not be as sensible as that.

I didn't know that. What's the basis for that 'rule'?

peteb

I think there is some confusion in France because lots of trains have declassified first class eg: the 0704 Clermont Ferrand to Lyon which I took this morning, this had first class labels both outside and inside but the conducteur said it was wholly declassified. That was an older unit: the more modern units are of course one class only. Intercités maintains first class but is known to declassify this from time to time so your second class reserved seat could end up being in a declassified first class carriage!

I guess TER has a lot of older first class carriages available as they generally got less wear and tear and have thus stood the test of time, whereas there are some really quite grotty second class ex corails about, and then there's the graffiti......

peteb

Well, today's 1441 TER Dijon to Lyon and 1618 return had a set with one and a half first class carriages, both declassified, and mysteriously full, whereas the second class compartment coaches (2) were empty (and more comfy)!

Status
Not open for further replies.