• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class Upgrade Cost - Cheshire Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServerHoster

Looking at doing a Cheshire Day Ranger soon and want to upgrade to first class between Crewe and Liverpool. I always thought it was the difference between the SDS (standard day single) and the FDS (first day single) if you have a ranger ticket. So £1.70 in this case.

Asked Avanti to confirm that cost and they said "sorry, my system won't load so I can't check."

Asked NRE then who said "sorry, there isn't a first class Cheshire Day Ranger, but standard class is £25.90"

So, could I get confirmation that:
a. you can upgrade to first class (for a single journey) on a Cheshire Day Ranger.
b. that it costs £1.70 from Crewe to Liverpool.
c. that it can be obtained at a ticket office

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Similar question asked before a few years ago. See link below...

Might well be possible but not sure if there was a 100% definite consensus ...

janb

a) Yes. The internal knowledgebase is clear on this.
b) Yes.
c) In theory, yes. In practice, it will depend on skill, knowledge, and with Avanti possibly equipment.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
d) it might also depend on their willingness to allow someone to sit in 1st & eat their food for £1.70!

gray1404

Established Member
They may not even be a ticket check between Crewe and Liverpool and I doubt any food will be served at that point in the journey anyway.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
They may not even be a ticket check between Crewe and Liverpool and I doubt any food will be served at that point in the journey anyway.
Almost certainly you'll get nothing on board, but there are lounges.

robbeech

Established Member
d) it might also depend on their willingness to allow someone to sit in 1st & eat their food for £1.70!
So the rules only apply if the railway say they do on the day? That seems very …….. railway like :)

L401CJF

Established Member
There was on the Avanti service I used yesterday just as we left Crewe

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
How exactly is the first class upgrade calculated?

If it's just £1.70 between Crewe and Liverpool, then subject to availability/willingness of ticketing staff to issue same, this seems really good value for a 35+ mile journey! :)

ServerHoster

How exactly is the first class upgrade calculated?

If it's just £1.70 between Crewe and Liverpool, then subject to availability/willingness of ticketing staff to issue same, this seems really good value for a 35+ mile journey! :)
Difference between the standard day single (£15.20) and first day single (£16.90) if you have a ranger ticket.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Difference between the standard day single (£15.20) and first day single (£16.90) if you have a ranger ticket.
Thanks for clarifying. Had wondered, given that the 'Cheshire Day Ranger' is essentially an off peak product, being only available after 0900 on weekdays.

Starmill

Veteran Member
There is not a general right to upgrade to First Class clearly codified in the NRCoT, as there is, for example, to an excess to change the route.

So you're relying on the price being offered. Once you have given consideration for it however (in this case once you've paid) you're undoubtedly entitled to use First Class.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Something tells me if you sat in 1st on the day, they’d ignore your Cheshire Day Ranger & try and insist you needed a new ticket... good luck on finding somewhere to sell you the upgrade!

John Luxton

Established Member
I have always wondered why there has not been a first class offering on area day rangers and weekly rovers.

in 78/80 I had a few rover tickets including all lines and also West of England and London Midland.

On the West of England Rover there was a first class option as with the London Midland one. Basically the usual 50% extra.

Though the local area rovers didn't have such an offering

From what I can see the only rover now offering first is the All Lines.

John

Starmill

Veteran Member
Until recently it was also possible to get a First Class Anglia Plus Rover. But then almost all of the first class was withdrawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.