• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First day at Northfields - Work Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
I arrived at the depot at 0855 and signed in at the security desk. I then made my way to the main reception where I was met by my trainer and some other people who were also taking tha area 'A' course.

First, we watched a short video about the dangers of working at track level, with passing trains and other hazards which can cause serious injury or even death. This was graphically illustrated by a scene during this video where a protection master was dragged along by the shoebeam of a train, had his legs severed, and was found dead a few yards up the line (based on a true story).

We were then told about the various things we needed to know in order to pass the area 'A' exam. Area 'A' is the car shed, which is where I was to be working. This talk lasted roughly half an hour, at which point we were taken on a tour of the car sheds, inside which we were told about the location of various plungers and hazards. We were also taught how to isolate the traction current in the car sheds and summon a first aider.

We then returned to the classroom and sat a short written exam in order to obtain out area 'A' certificate. Everyone passed, and everyone was issued with their certificate.

Shortly after this, we were dismissed, and I was sent to the DDM's office in order to find out what I was going to be doing.

Here, I was issued with PPE and sent to the workshop. I met a few of the technicians, and was to work with one of them for the rest of the day.

The major exercise I had to carry out was to assist in the mending of a door motor which was not performing correctly.The problem having been rectified, I proceeded to another train with my mate and went down in the pit to watch him repair some electrical equipment.

If anyone wants any pointers in terms of getting work experience with LU, don't hesitate to contact me by whatever means is easiest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Well Safety comes first on a Railway. It's sounds boring but it be obeyed!

Hope it will be fun for you! :)

Julian G

Established Member
Chaz said:
Well Safety comes first on a Railway. It's sounds boring but it be obeyed!

Hope it will be fun for you! :)
hmm,safety? on 4th rail has to be obeyed isn't it? :? <D

T

Tom

Shed roads have no 4th rail, overhead cables plug into traction current thingamajigs. Depot roads have 4th rail.

Met Driver

Established Member
4th rail means there is a fourth, negative, conductor rail between the two running rails. As tubechallenger says, in car sheds there are no conductor rails at track level (apart from 19 road at Northfields), instead they run along the roof of the shed and trains are connected to them via leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.