• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western - combined rail and entry to STEAM, Swindon ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilo37

hello
I'm travelling to STEAM museum at Swindon for the Lego show on Saturday. Gettiing the train from Paddington to Swindon. Can anyone confirm if First Great Western still offer a combined rail travel and STEAM entry ticket? It is not mentioned anywhere on the First Great Western website but it is still listed on the offers page on the National Rail website. I've been unable to get a definitive answer from STEAM and the organisors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I'm aware it's still offered at £5 for adults and £3 for children.

bnm

Established Member
It is still offered and is available as an add-on fare for any rail ticket to Swindon.

I purchased one for the Swindon Railway Festival at STEAM a few weeks ago.

If travelling from a station in the South, South East, Wales and the West then there are through fares to Swindon STEAM. Otherwise you can buy a standalone National Rail ticket, Swindon to Swindon STEAM, as long as you hold a valid rail ticket to Swindon.

Price is £5 adult and £3 child. Senior Citizens (whether railcard holders or not) can purchase the add-on fare for £3.20.

Any issues purchasing at your start station then you can mention to the clerk the destination name and NLC:

Swindon STEAM J841 for the adult and child add-ons.
Swindon STEAM SR J842 for the senior citizen add-on.

Flamingo

Established Member
If travelling on a staff pass, can one still buy the discounted ticket?

bnm

Established Member
I've just noticed that the Great Western LEGO™ show at STEAM has special entry prices, set at more than the usual museum entrance fee. That may cause some issues with using the rail add-on.

There was a similar more expensive entrance fee for the Swindon Railway Festival a few weeks ago and I called the museum who confirmed the rail add-on tickets would be accepted for entrance for that special event despite them being considerably cheaper.

I would double check with the museum before purchasing. I had confirmation from the Commercial Manager that the add-on was valid for the SRF. Although if you've already purchased then it's worth noting that there is nothing in the information supplied by National Rail Enquiries that says the rail add-on fare is not valid on certain dates. You can argue that you've bought the ticket in good faith.

D6975

Established Member
Entry prices to steam are different this weekend because it's a special event. (£10 vice £6.60 Adult)
You may find that the add-on isn't available this weekend, or a supplement is payable.

Lilo37

thanks everyone. First Great Western customer services also confirmed it was still available so that is what I will ask for when I get to Paddington and keep my fingers crossed its ok. But if I have to pay a supplement at the museuem so be it!

Status
Not open for further replies.