• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First North Western Euston services

dalesrail

Does anybody have any ideas which crews operated the North Western Trains, latterly, First North Western, services which ran down to Euston in the late '90s up until 2000?

The Man Airport - Euston was operated by Picc drivers, but not sure whether Picc or Aiport guards worked them. In those days, the Airport depot (guards only) was part of NWT/FNW.

Pretty certain Vic crews ran the Rochdale - Euston services, which coupled up to the Blackpool service at Warrington Bank Quay. Not sure who worked the BPN - WBQ section. Maybe Wigan or Lime Street crews, unless BPN crews signed WBQ in those days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Does anybody have any ideas which crews operated the North Western Trains, latterly, First North Western, services which ran down to Euston in the late '90s up until 2000?

The Man Airport - Euston was operated by Picc drivers, but not sure whether Picc or Aiport guards worked them. In those days, the Airport depot (guards only) was part of NWT/FNW.

Pretty certain Vic crews ran the Rochdale - Euston services, which coupled up to the Blackpool service at Warrington Bank Quay. Not sure who worked the BPN - WBQ section. Maybe Wigan or Lime Street crews, unless BPN crews signed WBQ in those days.
It was Airport Guards on the Airport Euston, but I can't remember who crewed the Blackpool into Warrington.
Around that time there was also a summer Sat Blackpool to North Wales portion coupling to a train from Manchester at Bank Quay, no doubt the same crewing arrangements.

Was definetley before its time, but had the original plan to use class 125mph 180 stock (for comfort sake instead of 322)come to fruition it could have worked eventually.

Established Member
From memory, could be wrong... FirstGroup arrived and quickly pulled the plug on it all during late 98 or early 1999.

The Airport-Euston service was electric 322s, the Rochdale/Vic & Blackpool were 158s which I think coupled at Warrington to run as a 4. Blackpool & Vic traincrew worked the 158s, Picc drivers & airport guards worked the 322s.

The were certainly trolley staff based at Manchester Airport for some time too. My main memory is the ultra strong cleaning fluid used by NWT to clean the tables... the smell of Speedclean for 2 hours burnt your nostrils out.

I think it was the first time that Euxton had appeared on the departure board at Euston!

jfollows

Established Member
How long was the Blackpool to Euston journey and what was the price compared to Virgin?
1F23 06:27 Blackpool North to Euston (1A16 from Warrington) arrived 10:32, for example. https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...rcity-rail-service.239788/page-6#post-5948956

As I said in the referenced post, from Rochdale (the other portion which joined the Blackpool one at Warrington) it was possible to get off at Victoria, walk to Piccadilly in 30 minutes, and get to Euston 30 minutes earlier. But the fare on the through train will have been much less, of course. I only used the Manchester Airport one myself, and that was as much for amusement on a day I didn’t have to be in London early.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
How long was the Blackpool to Euston journey and what was the price compared to Virgin?
Euston - Blackpool was £30 for a Standard Open Single or £38 for a Standard Open Return on North Western, against £64/£119 on Virgin (£51/£52 for the Saver Single and Return on VT.)

Euston - Rochdale lasted a bit longer, using 158s, and that was just £15 Single and £25 Return up to withdrawal, whilst Virgin were charging £87.50/£159.00 for the SOS/SOR and £48.40/£49.40 for the SVS/SVR through to Rochdale.

Mogz

My main memory is the ultra strong cleaning fluid used by NWT to clean the tables... the smell of Speedclean for 2 hours burnt your nostrils out.

I remember that NWT/FNW trains of all classes (including the 37-hauled Holyhead-Crewe- New Streets) had a very strong distinctive smell in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Is that what it was?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Was definitely before its time, but had the original plan to use class 125mph 180 stock (for comfort sake instead of 322)come to fruition it could have worked eventually.
Although 180s would have been limited to 110mph on the WCML.
They were also planned to work North Wales/Chester-Euston services but never started.
In the end the 180s went to FGW and FNW got the slower 175s.

Established Member
I remember that NWT/FNW trains of all classes (including the 37-hauled Holyhead-Crewe- New Streets) had a very strong distinctive smell in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Is that what it was?
Yep. Lavender scented speedclean. The V I Poo of the rail industry. Probably cause the paint to come of the walls, but hey! you can't smell the blocked toilets.