• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First scheduled InterCity 125 appearance at Manchester Piccadilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailAleFan

Hi everyone,

I know the 125 entered service in 75-76 but i'm having trouble working out when operation on what is basically today's XC services out of MAN (Macclesfield - Stoke - B'ham etc.) would have began.

The WikiPedia page ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCity_125 ) has a photograph of one at MAN from '86 so it was presumably before then...

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aldaniti

I can't be 100% sure, but from memory I seem to recall timetabled services to Manchester starting with the introduction of the May 1984 timetable. A Plymouth - Liverpool also went over to HST operation at the same time, taking HST's to Lime Street for the first time too.

flymo

Established Member
In the '84/'85 timetable there was a 1039 and 1642 Manchester to Plymouth HST. Northbound there was an 0614 Bristol TM - Manchester and a 1050 Paignton - Manchester.

Liverpool had a 1210 HST to Plymouth and an 0743 from Temple Meads - Liverpool.

I used to take the 1210 from Liverpool on one of my many 80's jaunts from Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.