• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Class 33

Established Member
Wonder if the first(aside from today's changes which were only minor changes to a few services) Bristol changes of the year this year will be in April or May. In previous years it's usually been the first Sunday in April. But for some reason last year, it was late May.

The new Concorde Museum on the former Filton airfield will be opening this Summer, expected to draw thousands of visitors. Would maybe be appropriate to introduce a new service 74 running via the Concorde Museum and Charlton Hayes. But I doubt this will happen this year, until the area becomes more built up with a lot more new housing, offices, etc.

Wonder if there will be any interesting significant route changes to the 75 & 76 this year? Probably not! Same old same old on these services for some time yet I expect! That said, the 71, 73, 75, & 76 can be absolutely rammed going down Gloucester Road towards Centre at 8am-ish on weekdays. Meaning some passengers intending to board along Gloucester Road(in particular the lower parts of the road) have to make do with some uncomfortable standing journeys or can't even board atall and have to wait for the next service to hopefully board that one. They ought to at least introduce some additional workings on these services at these times to ease over-crowding!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
the 71, 73, 75, & 76 can be absolutely rammed going down Gloucester Road towards Centre at 8am-ish on weekdays. Meaning some passengers intending to board along Gloucester Road(in particular the lower parts of the road) have to make do with some uncomfortable standing journeys or can't even board atall and have to wait for the next service to hopefully board that one. They ought to at least introduce some additional workings on these services at these times to ease over-crowding!

Who'll drive them... Enough challenges with the existing requirements and they couldn't cope before hence the widening of headways on certain routes

Bristol_Buses

Wonder if the first(aside from today's changes which were only minor changes to a few services) Bristol changes of the year this year will be in April or May. In previous years it's usually been the first Sunday in April. But for some reason last year, it was late May.

The new Concorde Museum on the former Filton airfield will be opening this Summer, expected to draw thousands of visitors. Would maybe be appropriate to introduce a new service 74 running via the Concorde Museum and Charlton Hayes. But I doubt this will happen this year, until the area becomes more built up with a lot more new housing, offices, etc.

Wonder if there will be any interesting significant route changes to the 75 & 76 this year? Probably not! Same old same old on these services for some time yet I expect! That said, the 71, 73, 75, & 76 can be absolutely rammed going down Gloucester Road towards Centre at 8am-ish on weekdays. Meaning some passengers intending to board along Gloucester Road(in particular the lower parts of the road) have to make do with some uncomfortable standing journeys or can't even board atall and have to wait for the next service to hopefully board that one. They ought to at least introduce some additional workings on these services at these times to ease over-crowding!

A service 74 would be good but if that happens it should go down the M32 as it would basically be the same as the 75. Its not just the GR corridor which gets busy, the Church Road Corridor gets really busy (42 -45) and im sure the fishponds and whiteladies road corridors gets just as busy.

I would like to see a cross city 42-45 which goes to Cribbs Causeway or Westbury direction or Maybe take one of them up GR?

Last edited:

ooo

I would like to see a cross city 42-45 which goes to Cribbs Causeway or Westbury direction or Maybe take one of them up GR?

I very much doubt there will be any new cross city routes given Bristol's traffic issues.

Marc

A service 74 would be good but if that happens it should go down the M32 as it would basically be the same as the 75.

we have yet to see a daytime service from the suburbs (aside from UWE traffic) down the M32 which carrys enough passengers to be sustainable. X62, X64, X65, X73, X74, X83, X84 have all been and gone. i see no reason why this has changed.

freetoview33

Established Member
A service 74 would be good but if that happens it should go down the M32 as it would basically be the same as the 75. Its not just the GR corridor which gets busy, the Church Road Corridor gets really busy (42 -45) and im sure the fishponds and whiteladies road corridors gets just as busy.

The 43 used to go to cribbs until it was split. There also used to be a 43B From Park Estate to Westbury Village.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I would be interested in your basis for your assertion. Have you travelled on Euro 6 Streetlites OR E20D MMCs?
The newest Streetlites I have been on the Streetlites in Bristol and they, like the '13' and '63' plates ones, turn up on the 8, 9 and 24 which, in case you don't know the area, all have hills and, from what I recall, they seem to struggle a bit. I have never had the chance to ride an Enviro200 MMC although I would welcome the chance to try one of the ones that Stagecoach South Wales (Porth) have on the 132 between Maerdy and Cardiff which are done out to Gold spec.

I also have an idea as to what I would do with Service 5 in Bath but whether such ideas would ever happen would probably depend on Wessex dropping the 20A/20C. Won't elaborate on those ideas here unless asked.

Dave

Whiteway215

Established Member
The newest Streetlites I have been on the Streetlites in Bristol and they, like the '13' and '63' plates ones, turn up on the 8, 9 and 24 which, in case you don't know the area, all have hills and, from what I recall, they seem to struggle a bit. I have never had the chance to ride an Enviro200 MMC although I would welcome the chance to try one of the ones that Stagecoach South Wales (Porth) have on the 132 between Maerdy and Cardiff which are done out to Gold spec.

I also have an idea as to what I would do with Service 5 in Bath but whether such ideas would ever happen would probably depend on Wessex dropping the 20A/20C. Won't elaborate on those ideas here unless asked.

Dave
Dave

You say you have ideas for Service 5 in Bath probably depending on Wessex dropping 20A/C. Not sure if relevant to your thoughts but I believe 20A/C are BANES supported services.

Marcus Fryer

I travelled on the Severn Express from Cribbs Causeway to Chepstow and back this afternoon. I hadn't realised until today that, unlike its X7 predecessor, most journeys don't call at Aust, but run non-stop between Cribbs Causeway and Conway Drive (Chepstow). Despite this, both forward and return journeys left the M48 to run via the A403 roundabout. I wonder if the driver would have stopped if anyone had requested it.

32094 was on the 16:15 route 82 from Southmead to Yate today.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Are they still supported?

!

All I can say is that I have a 20A/20C Timetable as issued by BANES effective 4 September 2016. Under the bus times it reads 'Services 20A, 20C and 20R are operated by Wessex Bus with financial support from B&NES Council'

freetoview33

Established Member
All I can say is that I have a 20A/20C Timetable as issued by BANES effective 4 September 2016. Under the bus times it reads 'Services 20A, 20C and 20R are operated by Wessex Bus with financial support from B&NES Council'

20R doesn't run anymore, it was taken over by Abus! So that's outdated

ooo

I travelled on the Severn Express from Cribbs Causeway to Chepstow and back this afternoon. I hadn't realised until today that, unlike its X7 predecessor, most journeys don't call at Aust, but run non-stop between Cribbs Causeway and Conway Drive (Chepstow). Despite this, both forward and return journeys left the M48 to run via the A403 roundabout. I wonder if the driver would have stopped if anyone had requested it.

32094 was on the 16:15 route 82 from Southmead to Yate today.

It looks like it is just two journeys in each direction per day stopping at Aust. Two in the morning towards Bristol and two in the evening towards Chepstow

Martin2012

Interesting to hear 32094 was on the 82 service.

Right now I'm still mourning the loss of the 2010 journey from Southmead to Yate. I've been using that journey one evening a week since September to get home from an evening course at SGS Filton and have felt the loadings to be reasonable with Cribbs generating the most passengers but others boarding and alighting en-route.

An email to South Gloucestershire Council back in December suggested that this was a commercial decision by First but at the same time, SGC didn't have the money to fund it.

However First's website suggests the changes to the service are the result of Metrobus disruption.

Anybody know which reason is likely to be correct?

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Interesting to hear 32094 was on the 82 service.

Right now I'm still mourning the loss of the 2010 journey from Southmead to Yate. I've been using that journey one evening a week since September to get home from an evening course at SGS Filton and have felt the loadings to be reasonable with Cribbs generating the most passengers but others boarding and alighting en-route.

An email to South Gloucestershire Council back in December suggested that this was a commercial decision by First but at the same time, SGC didn't have the money to fund it.

However First's website suggests the changes to the service are the result of Metrobus disruption.

Anybody know which reason is likely to be correct?

It's probably both. In peak, the timings have been changed to reflect the traffic issues caused by Metrobus construction hence the loss of clock face timetabling. By the same token, that particular journey may well have been commercial and First believe that it doesn't pay and/or there may be scheduling issues associated with it.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

ooo

http://www.firstgroupplc.com/news-and-media/latest-news/2017/10-01-2017a.aspx
First Bus contactless commitment for customers

10 Jan 2017

Contactless pilot set to go live in Bristol by end of January 2017
Wider rollout of contactless technology planned across First Bus operations during 2017 & 2018 complementing its successful mobile ticketing and smartcard platforms*
Roll out will be underpinned by partnerships to deliver wider City and Regional schemes including working with Transport for the North (TfN) and Transport Scotland on delivery of multi modal schemes providing better value for customers*

[http://www]The UK’s leading operator, First Bus, today announced a commitment to allow its customers to pay for travel through the use of contactless debit and credit cards. *

First Bus customers can already pay for bus travel using its successful smartcard and mobile payment (mTickets) mechanisms. *The company sees the contactless bank card as a further means of reducing the use of cash on buses and as a result speeding up boarding times and services across the UK.

The introduction of the new technology will begin with a trial in Bristol this month on Brislington and Portway Park and Ride services. *Roll out across the First Bus fleet will be achieved over the next two years working in partnership with city and regional partners such as TfN and Transport Scotland, Combined Authorities and local authorities. *

Managing Director of First Bus, Giles Fearnley, said: “It’s important that our customers understand and embrace the new contactless payment technology. *This we feel will be done best working with partners and other operators to clearly communicate the advantages of the new technology in wider multi operator schemes.” *

With 100 million contactless cards in circulation in the UK, customers are expected to widely welcome their introduction to bus travel. *Designed to make paying for goods and services more convenient, the contactless option on First Bus will remove the need to carry cash or purchase tickets in advance, while the fast and easy contactless payment will improve boarding times and lead to quicker bus journeys.

The announcement shows that First Bus is pushing the boundaries with use of technology and is setting the pace for customers to enjoy frictionless payment and better bus services. *The contactless announcement follows the news late last year that more than 1 million passenger journeys a week on First Bus services are now via mTickets.*

The investment in contactless forms part of First Bus plans to transform the customer experience through innovative new technology, having already invested significantly in mTickets, free on board wi-fi and an on-line journey planner. *The announcement also supports First Bus’s commitment to speed up bus services, given the chronic congestion issues across the UK, through less cash transactions and improved boarding times. *The company has demonstrated boarding times are 75% quicker if customers use mTickets or Smartcards.** *

Giles Fearnley continued: “The introduction of contactless payment alongside our success with mobile ticketing is pivotal as we continue to make bus travel a convenient, simple and attractive experience for our customers, despite the ever increasing congestion that we face in most of our operations across the UK.

“Use of mTickets is exceeding our expectations and yet continues to grow on a daily basis. *I fully expect customers to welcome and grasp contactless bus travel with the same enthusiasm.”

He added: “We are determined to transform the experience for all our customers. *The combination of journey planning, free wi-fi, real time information, mTickets and now contactless payment really does demonstrate how technological advances are making the bus an increasingly attractive option.”*

Melanie Johnson, Chair of The UK Cards Association, said: “Following the great success of contactless ticketing in London, the cards industry has worked with transport operators to explore its introduction across the UK. Using contactless cards for travel will bring many benefits for First Bus passengers, such as no longer having to buy and collect paper tickets or worry about having enough cash, and we are pleased with this development.”

First Bus is currently running one of its biggest ever marketing campaigns showcasing the company’s existing technology customer proposition. *The ‘get the bus with less fuss’ marketing campaign includes TV adverts, web banners, social media and focuses on the ‘First Travel App’, the ‘First mTicket’ app, free on board wi-fi, which is now available on around 60% of First Bus vehicles, and the Journey Planner facility on First Bus websites.*

In October 2016 there were more than 312 million contactless transactions in the UK for goods and services totalling £2.8 billion. *(Figures from the UK Cards Association, December 2016).

Last edited:

matt_splat

Where the hell did the buses go then ?

They were parked all down the mainroad I have seen a picture on twitter from Andrew Sherington, at a guess maybe some other depot fueled stuff the airport flyers were running to time