• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
According to yesterday’s edition of ‘The Word’, as well as the end of life deckers brought in to act as the ‘Q Busters’ from September through to December, there will be more mid-life deckers arriving for scheduled work. These will be in exchange for Streetlites and E200s.There are several routes due to be deckorised.

Also, the three Severn Express E400s will be repainted into standard livery and used on other services.

Two B7RLEs will be also freed up from Weston when the X5 transfers to Stagecoach. I can’t see these staying in Weston as they are really too long for the X2 which interworks with the X8. There are also enough Streetlites to cover the X2/X8, the A3 E200MMCs and the 3 & 5 Darts. There will also be slack in the 2 E400s freed up from the X5 to cover the other Excel services, with the two Urban E400s able to cover the 1, 7 and 20.
Thanks for updates. Didn't think there were many routes left to be declared!! But if it is streetlites/e200s, it does suggest some of the Bath routes. Don't think the 8/9/24 can handle them on their current route.

Like GW had also thought that the 7XP e400s would have been best for 376, but I guess they have other things in mind. Maybe they will go on South Gloucs services. But so much going on it's hard to reasonably predict what will happen!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spw24

The buses for the 376 should be the 91/2 Enviro,s from Hengrove plus a couple from Weston then Hengrove should have all the Bristol based Streetdecks as they should be getting the 70/1 from Lawrence Hill.

Private Baxter

Established Member
The buses for the 376 should be the 91/2 Enviro,s from Hengrove plus a couple from Weston then Hengrove should have all the Bristol based Streetdecks as they should be getting the 70/1 from Lawrence Hill.
Thanks for confirming.
So 70/71 back at Hengrove! Those routes seem to be forever switching back and forth. A couple of years at LH, a couple of years at HE.... why the switch?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I know people had mentioned it was the 91/92 fleet. I find them quite grubby and dismal internally and had hoped for something of a comparable age to the Streetdecks for the 376.
Didn't think there were many routes left to be declared!! But if it is streetlites/e200s, it does suggest some of the Bath routes. Don't think the 8/9/24 can handle them on their current route.
The 24 has to be single decked (in its current format - unless they reroute it via South Liberty Lane). Not certain that there's any height issue with the 8/9 except the TM canopies.

The 3 and 4 in Bath have had a few deckers appeared on them recently. Both could be candidates with a consequent frequency amendment as per the 7 in Weston.

I know people had mentioned it was the 91/92 fleet. I find them quite grubby and dismal internally and had hoped for something of a comparable age to the Streetdecks for the 376.

Hopefully they get repaints into Mendip Explorer livery and maybe some new interior vinyls etc to smarten them up then! Not sure if members of this forum will be aware of such technology but would be nice to see them set up the E400s with Topodyn software. I’m sure the higher revving it allows for would be appreciated on the 376 of all routes! Similar trials on MMC400s here in Birmingham on hilly route 9 to Stourbridge appeared to have been quite successful, though they are now restrained to more regular routes after the 9 went over to new Platinums...

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to yesterday’s edition of ‘The Word’, as well as the end of life deckers brought in to act as the ‘Q Busters’ from September through to December, there will be more mid-life deckers arriving for scheduled work. These will be in exchange for Streetlites and E200s.There are several routes due to be deckorised.

Also, the three Severn Express E400s will be repainted into standard livery and used on other services.

Two B7RLEs will be also freed up from Weston when the X5 transfers to Stagecoach. I can’t see these staying in Weston as they are really too long for the X2 which interworks with the X8. There are also enough Streetlites to cover the X2/X8, the A3 E200MMCs and the 3 & 5 Darts. There will also be slack in the 2 E400s freed up from the X5 to cover the other Excel services, with the two Urban E400s able to cover the 1, 7 and 20.
Can I add my thanks for that very interesting update.
I wonder what other end of lifers we'll get for the Q Busters? Weren't Kernow getting shot of some Tridents soon?!!!!
Also both the Bath 1 and 3/3a are E200 operated so it will be interesting if either service is converted to deckers. Deckers occasionally appear on both these services and of course also on the 4 so there should be no problem to convert them.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
According to my friends at Bath, the 3/3A and the 4 will soon be interworking with each other and will see double deck operation. There are supposedly going to be amendments to the route of the 3A through Elmhurst, which probably is too small for deckers.

My friends are covering in Weston at the moment, so I had the chance to do the X5 and the X7 yesterday.

I also feel the the 8/9 desperately need deckers. I know the canopy at Temple Meads is apparently an issue, but no matter what time or day I get on the 8 I regularly have to let at least two go past full before I can get on the third.

Private Baxter

Established Member
According to my friends at Bath, the 3/3A and the 4 will soon be interworking with each other and will see double deck operation. There are supposedly going to be amendments to the route of the 3A through Elmhurst, which probably is too small for deckers.

My friends are covering in Weston at the moment, so I had the chance to do the X5 and the X7 yesterday.

I also feel the the 8/9 desperately need deckers. I know the canopy at Temple Meads is apparently an issue, but no matter what time or day I get on the 8 I regularly have to let at least two go past full before I can get on the third.
How will the 3 and the 4 interwork I wonder? They are cross city routes, the only way I can see it happening is if at Foxhill, it then heads down to Odd Down to start a 4. Guess it could save a vehicle or two

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Really? I've see plenty (and been on them) with space on ones through the day though naturally not at peak. The 9 certainly doesn't need deckers.

I have the same query as PB because the 3/4 would struggle to interwork as they are cross city routes and the 4 really operates a large loop at Odd Down. The issue with Elmhurst is poorly parked cars and tight roads so they could use shorter deckers but even a 10m example might struggle a bit. That's the same issue that affects the 8/9

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe the 3 is being re-routed to somewhere near Odd Down.

If true, that would be bizarre. Essentially, they go in much different directions once they diverge at Bear Flat to Foxhill/Combe Down (3) and up Bloomfield to Odd Down (4). Also, to what end would they interwork? It wouldn't save much in fleet (if at all)? Intrigued to see what happens

ValleyLines142

Established Member
If true, that would be bizarre. Essentially, they go in much different directions once they diverge at Bear Flat to Foxhill/Combe Down (3) and up Bloomfield to Odd Down (4). Also, to what end would they interwork? It wouldn't save much in fleet (if at all)? Intrigued to see what happens

To be fair, I may have got that wrong. I should really listen more! I will find out.

Anyone know the PVR of the 3/3a?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I've just been looking up those ex First Oldham B7TLs we are getting (30936/45). According to my notes 30945 was withdrawn last Sept 2018. Unless they have gone elsewhere in the meantime, I think there may be others available from Oldham. 30912 withdrawn Sept 18, 30915 delicenced in March 19, 30935 withdrawn Nov 18, 30944/46 withdrawn Sept 18. It was just a thought!

30936 and 30945 both parked up at Lawrence Hill with FWE legals. 30945 looks fairly tidy aside from the removal of Huddersfield fleetname. 33494 sat there too.

Whiteway215

Established Member
30936 and 30945 both parked up at Lawrence Hill with FWE legals. 30945 looks fairly tidy aside from the removal of Huddersfield fleetname. 33494 sat there too.
I didn't really believe it when Bustimes was showing 30945 on the 172 on 1st August!

Whiteway215

Established Member
Thanks for that update.

I had wondered if routes like the 4 in Bath might gain deckers in order to release the StreetLite Maxes. Mid life deckers.... might we hope that might indicate some ex Bolton B9s might head south rather B7TLs that are much closer to end of life? I’m probably reading too much into that!

I had hoped the 7XP (plus some 48/49) examples would be the enviros heading for the 376 but clearly not. Going to be an interesting couple of months.

The e200s leaving - wonder if that’s the final few short ones (aside from the WW ones) and if the Bath 3 may also gain deckers?
If the Bath 3/3a (PVR 10) and 4 (PVR 11) are being converted to deckers that could mean Bath could potentially lose 10 E200s (44553/4/6, 44907-10/13-15) and the 11 long Streetlites 63068-78. The Streetlites of course are reputed to be Leicester bound.
Regarding E200s that would leave 'native' 44520-6 on the 1 and Wessex Water 44902-4. Then there is the 179 requiring a short vehicle. I'm sure it won't be that simple but we will have to wait and see.

I reckon there could be up to 37 B9TLs released from the sale of Bolton and not required by Rotala.

spw24

yeah but the Bolton vehicles are being leased for upto 2 years or until replaced by new stuff so this may take a while.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
yeah but the Bolton vehicles are being leased for upto 2 years or until replaced by new stuff so this may take a while.
Aside from three examples (incl ex Bristol 37351), all the B9s will come free from Bolton as they’re not going on loan. It’s the older Eclipses and the e400s that are being leased to Rotala.

The B9s (and some newer Eclipses) are being replaced by a number of spare Rotala vehicles, some former Yourbus Citaros, and a number of new Streetdecks.

See you’ve reported 35162 getting 90 livery. Wonder when 35147 will get done...as it’s only just got painted out of it.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Aside from three examples (incl ex Bristol 37351), all the B9s will come free from Bolton as they’re not going on loan. It’s the older Eclipses and the e400s that are being leased to Rotala.

The B9s (and some newer Eclipses) are being replaced by a number of spare Rotala vehicles, some former Yourbus Citaros, and a number of new Streetdecks.
According to an unofficial Bolton fleetlist (which may or may not be correct) there are 38 B9TLs at Bolton There was a list on the Rotala thread of 125 First vehicles being leased to Rotala which showed four B9TLs 37351/84/443/445. So I got my sums wrong anyway as it would make it 34 B9TLs released not 37.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
According to an unofficial Bolton fleetlist (which may or may not be correct) there are 38 B9TLs at Bolton There was a list on the Rotala thread of 125 First vehicles being leased to Rotala which showed four B9TLs 37351/84/443/445. So I got my sums wrong anyway as it would make it 34 B9TLs released not 37.
I believe you that it’s 4!!!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Route change to 24 15th September View attachment 66707
Well that is an interesting one. Any idea, however, as to why the slip road on the outbound A370 is not being used? If you used that slip road and turned left by the Long Ashton P&R then surely that would lessen delays caused by any congestion at the roundabout where the link road comes in.

Also I wonder how well a less direct route to Ashton Vale will go down with commuters.

Dave

father_jack

Well that is an interesting one. Any idea, however, as to why the slip road on the outbound A370 is not being used? If you used that slip road and turned left by the Long Ashton P&R then surely that would lessen delays caused by any congestion at the roundabout where the link road comes in.

Also I wonder how well a less direct route to Ashton Vale will go down with commuters.

Dave
Will take longer but most getting off do so on North St, kids from school and those living down by the South Liberty end of Ashton Vale will suffer but no less than having to wait for the next single to come along when left behind by the previous one being full. Stapleton Road and Eastville will do well by it because people just get on the first bus that comes along (24) when doubles are just metres behind and someone going to Lockleaze gets to wait....