• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

-Colly405-

Updated!

Bath 1: Increased from every 12 mins to every 10 mins.
Bath 2: Minor route change and slightly extended into Fox Hill.
Bath 6/6A/7: Minor changes.
Bath 8: Minor timetable changes.
Bath 10: New service.
Bath 20: New service.
Bath 172: Timetable change.
Bath 179: Timetable change.
Bath U1: Route change.
Bath U2: Route change.
Bristol 2A: Replacing 51.
Bristol 8: Frequency going back to pre summer.
Bristol 36: All trips extended to Hengrove Depot, additional early morning bus.
Bristol 42A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 48A: Increased for new term.
Bristol 49A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 50: Later bus All going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 50A: Minor changes
Bristol 70: Increased for new term.
Bristol 71: Increased for new term.
Bristol 75: All services going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 76: Extended in Henbury, All services going to Hengrove Depot.
Bristol 903: Withdrawn.
Bristol A1: Rerouted.
Bristol A2: New service to make up for rerouted A1.
Bristol M2: Introduced.
Have you a link for the 49A, A1/A2 and M2 changes? I can't find them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
49A:
Service 49A – First Bus (Bristol Centre – Staple Hill) Monday to Friday journeys at peak times between Staple Hill and the Centre are withdrawn for summer period (until September 2018). Alternative service provided by 49 & X49 routes.
http://www.southglos.gov.uk/transpo...hool-transport/buses/changes-to-bus-services/

903: Traveline has the 903 ending on 01/09/18 which is logical.

This would suggest that the M2 would be starting on 02 or 03/09/18.
This would also suggest the A1 reroute would happen at the same time.
North Somerset council also wants the new A2 to launch at the same time.

Class 33

Established Member
Interesting about the new 2A replacing the Wessex 51. Though it only shares a relatively short section of route with the current 2, between Centre and Broad Walk and then it goes off on a completely different route onto Hengrove rather than Stockwood. I wonder why First are renumbering it from the 51?

And still no new service 74 yet! Oh well!

Oh and seen a Mint 5 Dart on the 1 just now! I also seen an Eclipse(single decker!) going down Whiteladies Road with City Centre on the destination display, but I didn't catch the service number, but was probably a 3 or 4. I think someone on here a few months back said we should finally be seeing the end of instances of single deckers being used on double decker routes. I don't think so! I think it will continue on for many years yet! Despite all these new double deckers coming to Bristol over the past few years!

Oh and any news yet on double deckers going onto the 173 & 174?

Last edited:

northken

Updated!

Bath 1: Increased from every 12 mins to every 10 mins.
Bath 2: Minor route change and slightly extended into Fox Hill.
Bath 6/6A/7: Minor changes.
Bath 8: Minor timetable changes.
Bath 10: New service.
Bath 20: New service.
Bath 172: Timetable change.
Bath 179: Timetable change.
Bath U1: Route change.
Bath U2: Route change.
Bristol 2A: Replacing 51.
Bristol 8: Frequency going back to pre summer.
Bristol 36: All trips extended to Hengrove Depot, additional early morning bus.
Bristol 42A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 48A: Increased for new term.
Bristol 49A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 50: Later bus All going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 50A: Minor changes
Bristol 70: Increased for new term.
Bristol 71: Increased for new term.
Bristol 75: All services going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 76: Extended in Henbury, All services going to Hengrove Depot.
Bristol 903: Withdrawn.
Bristol A1: Rerouted.
Bristol A2: New service to make up for rerouted A1.
Bristol M2: Introduced.

Is there a link to the m2 etc. changes? Can't seem to find them on the travelwest bus changes section!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Traffic in the centre of Bristol at about 6.30pm today was on another level! In the eight years I've been commuting this was the worst by far. At one point there were FORTY-TWO buses all lined up from The Centre right up to Cabot McDonald's via Rupert Street and Primark, a pretty unbelievable sight. Apparently down to an incident on the M32 and the opening of Cumberland Basin.

Caught the 2 earlier from Cribbs to Southmead and what turned up, gas bus 39401! Nice surprise there.

Unusual workings today:

37621 - 2
32343, 37614 - 3
37003, 66731 - 4
37342 - 7
42898 - 42A
69253 - 49
47571 - 90
37613 - T2
47556 - X3 (just like old times!)

And standard practice due to the traffic conditions earlier, some short workings:

33954 - 1 to Arnos Vale
37339 - 43 to Kingswood
32344 - 45 to Lawrence Hill
37616 - 73 to City Centre (not Temple Meads)

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Interesting about the new 2A replacing the Wessex 51. Though it only shares a relatively short section of route with the current 2, between Centre and Broad Walk and then it goes off on a completely different route onto Hengrove rather than Stockwood. I wonder why First are renumbering it from the 51?

And still no new service 74 yet! Oh well!

Oh and seen a Mint 5 Dart on the 1 just now! I also seen an Eclipse(single decker!) going down Whiteladies Road with City Centre on the destination display, but I didn't catch the service number, but was probably a 3 or 4. I think someone on here a few months back said we should finally be seeing the end of instances of single deckers being used on double decker routes. I don't think so! I think it will continue on for many years yet! Despite all these new double deckers coming to Bristol over the past few years!

Oh and any news yet on double deckers going onto the 173 & 174?

In response - where route have a common route from the city and then take discrete routes, they do tend to share numbers so the 48a, and the 50a. So as you say, despite it being relatively short, there is the common section from centre to Broad Walk.

Whilst the instances of single deckers being used on DD routes are much reduced, the sheer disruption caused by the M32 incident just destroyed service reliability; hence why any vehicle was pressed into service.

There are currently three deckers now repainted for the 172/173/174 but not in service yet.

carlberry

Established Member
I don't know who said it however it will never be true! (Without the fleet has no single deckers). As a spare single decker is going to be more useful than a spare double decker there will always be a better percentage availability of spare single deckers, without there's over provision of spares (which is unlikely if accountants are involved in the business). Therefore there will always be instances of single deckers on double decker routes. The opposite is also true which also means there will always be a supply of open top conversions available.

freetoview33

Established Member
I don't know who said it however it will never be true! (Without the fleet has no single deckers). As a spare single decker is going to be more useful than a spare double decker there will always be a better percentage availability of spare single deckers, without there's over provision of spares (which is unlikely if accountants are involved in the business). Therefore there will always be instances of single deckers on double decker routes. The opposite is also true which also means there will always be a supply of open top conversions available.
Not whilst there are some routes than can only be single operated.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Not whilst there are some routes than can only be single operated.
But the number of routes which can only be operated by single deckers due to route constraints is minimal.

Some services which are currently singles could be deckers, if stopping arrangements were changed e.g. 8/9/72 At Temple Meads. Isn't the only services in and around Bristol which have to be singles the 24, 35 and X8? Due to low bridges

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
But the number of routes which can only be operated by single deckers due to route constraints is minimal.

Some services which are currently singles could be deckers, if stopping arrangements were changed e.g. 8/9/72 At Temple Meads. Isn't the only services in and around Bristol which have to be singles the 24, 35 and X8? Due to low bridges

Not certain if the 8/9 might not have issues with trees in Clifton being in a conservation area?

24 and X8 are most certainly single deck because of bridges. The 35 is a single deck because of loadings, same as the 178 not justifying deckers. Arguably, the 5 and 36 generally don't need deckers because of loadings though the latter does have two decker boards because of college loadings, whilst I've enjoyed one of the ex Bath P&R Geminis on the 5.

Other single deck routes in FWoE are the 5 in Bath. Also, the D1 does have a 14' bridge at Wilton that may preclude the use of most deckers

Private Baxter

Established Member

-Colly405-

Oh right fair enough. I've used it a few times, both as First's 18 and then the 10. It was never very well loaded.
I have used it regularly over the years. Daytime journeys used to be average loadings with rammed peaks (especially. AM) when it was the 18. As the hourly 10 it has been sparsely loaded at all times.

An example I think of how to kill a bus route.

It's always been borderline tendered/commercial - and of course it's had a fair number of incarnations - South Glos 518, First 18, Wessex 501 502, etc.

As sad end. And it leaves a gap through the southern end of Emersons, Gipsy Patch, and with the rerouting of the 77 leaves Parkway-Filton with just an hourly service, and that via Cribbs.
Remember the days not so long ago when Parkway-Filton had each hour 18, 18, 501, 502, 625, 82 and 555?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not sure about trees, but the canopy at Temple Meads would preclude deckers on the 8/9 without changing the stop.

That’s what was said

Temple Meads would need a stop relocation but there are some tree lined bits on the 8 so that may also need to be considered.

Private Baxter

Established Member
I have used it regularly over the years. Daytime journeys used to be average loadings with rammed peaks (especially. AM) when it was the 18. As the hourly 10 it has been sparsely loaded at all times.

It's always been borderline tendered/commercial - and of course it's had a fair number of incarnations - South Glos 518, First 18, Wessex 501 502, etc.

As sad end. And it leaves a gap through the southern end of Emersons, Gipsy Patch, and with the rerouting of the 77 leaves Parkway-Filton with just an hourly service, and that via Cribbs.
Remember the days not so long ago when Parkway-Filton had each hour 18, 18, 501, 502, 625, 82 and 555?
I think you're right actually, it was quite a popular peak time service. I used to use it to Mangotsfield, and only ever on a Saturday morning so not a true representation.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

The lack of services between UWE and Parkway Station is definitely an issue now. Just the 19 from First (and the very hit and miss 625).

It's a shame the M3 couldn't call at Parkway.

Or, as I've said before, maybe getting a few 73 journeys to call into the north entrance at UWE. Perhaps a 73A every half an hour, alternating with the 15 minute frequency at the moment? Seeing as the 73 currently turns into Sainsburys, it's pretty much almost in the north entrance. Would also be easier for students in the halls (Brecon/Quantock/Mendip/Cotswold) as the bus station at UWE is the other side of the campus.

I'm still shocked the 18 was withdrawn to be honest.

Or could the 82 call at UWE too?

freetoview33

Established Member
The lack of services between UWE and Parkway Station is definitely an issue now. Just the 19 from First (and the very hit and miss 625).

It's a shame the M3 couldn't call at Parkway.

Or, as I've said before, maybe getting a few 73 journeys to call into the north entrance at UWE. Perhaps a 73A every half an hour, alternating with the 15 minute frequency at the moment? Seeing as the 73 currently turns into Sainsburys, it's pretty much almost in the north entrance. Would also be easier for students in the halls (Brecon/Quantock/Mendip/Cotswold) as the bus station at UWE is the other side of the campus.

I'm still shocked the 18 was withdrawn to be honest.

Or could the 82 call at UWE too?
We will have the Stagecoach 77 linking Southmead to UWE and Parkway

Martin2012

I do feel sorry for those who will be affected by the withdrawal of the 10

Would there be any merit in extending some 19s to Southmead (e.g. after Cribbs following the same to the hospital as the 82 does?

I do also wonder would there be any merit in extending the 48 and 49 to Lyde Green?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I do feel sorry for those who will be affected by the withdrawal of the 10

Would there be any merit in extending some 19s to Southmead (e.g. after Cribbs following the same to the hospital as the 82 does?

I do also wonder would there be any merit in extending the 48 and 49 to Lyde Green?

Why would you extend the 48/49 to Lyde Green?

Martin2012

Why would you extend the 48/49 to Lyde Green?
My understanding is its only a short distance up the road from the current terminus and SGBC extended the 462 to start/end there.

Obviously the M3 is the principle link between Lyde Green and Bristol City Centre but having the 48/49 extend there would allow links to places such as Downend,Easton, Fishponds, Mangotsfield and Staple Hill as well as offer connectional opportunities to places such as Southmead (eg by changing at Staple Hill or Fishponds with the 17).

On the subject of the 10 route, does anyone have any suggestions as to why passenger numbers might be in decline? Am guessing that there are passengers in the form of Southmead Hospital staff and visitors, students at UWE and SGS Filton and passengers connecting with trains at Bristol Parkway. However I'm guessing, based on my experience of the 581 that not all journeys throughout the day are busy and the ones at peak hour times have the most usage. Is the problem maybe something such as a decline in passenger numbers or unreliability brought on by the Metrobus works?

My personal opinion is that the success of the 82 has been down to the fact it serves Cribbs. Everytime I've been on that route the majority of passengers have been traveling to/from The Mall and only a handful at most on the section between Cribbs and Southmead. Am also aware that it is well used by college students during term time. As such I do feel that an extension or variation of the existing 19 route so that it served Southmead Hospital would allow the majority of areas covered by the 10 to continue to be served by bus and ensure coverage is provided by what is obviously a commercially viable route.

Marcus Fryer

The reduction of the 10 to an hourly service means it's less attractive for short distances than the 18 was. Also, the reversion of the 19/19A to Frenchay Park Road will have had an impact.
Lyde Green is poorly served by the m3, which only stops by the P&R at the edge of the estate, not really convenient for most of the houses.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
My understanding is its only a short distance up the road from the current terminus and SGBC extended the 462 to start/end there.

Obviously the M3 is the principle link between Lyde Green and Bristol City Centre but having the 48/49 extend there would allow links to places such as Downend,Easton, Fishponds, Mangotsfield and Staple Hill as well as offer connectional opportunities to places such as Southmead (eg by changing at Staple Hill or Fishponds with the 17).

Sorry - thought that you thinking of replacing the 10 with it!

I think the issue would be a) the increase in the PVR (albeit only an extra vehicle) and b) would it simply take trade from the m3 which really needs to succeed.

freetoview33

Established Member
Just thinking back to my earliest memories of buses in Bristol. For me it was Leyland Lynxes on the 1 and 2 going through Westbury on Trym.

What are other peoples first memories?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Just thinking back to my earliest memories of buses in Bristol. For me it was Leyland Lynxes on the 1 and 2 going through Westbury on Trym.

I moved to Backwell in 1972 and think my first ride would have been on a MW on the 354. Would the 352/3 have been REs at that time? On City services I remember the FLFs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

First bus memories would be poppy red MWs, LHs and REs (DP red and white).

In Bristol, would be arriving on some R reg Badgerline VR on the 339 from Baff.