• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

spw24

its probably the same problem I had with 36820 on Saturday a big red screen saying Hatch open when its clearly not open it wont start when it shows red but runs fine once its running.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
its probably the same problem I had with 36820 on Saturday a big red screen saying Hatch open when its clearly not open it wont start when it shows red but runs fine once its running.
Leyland Nationals used to have the same kind of issue with micro switches on panels. Usually cured by the driver kicking it! (Until it fell off when it could be repaired properly!).

-Colly405-

It was 36820 this morning at the BRI; yes, the screen in the centre of the dash went red every time the driver turned the engine, which resulted in him leaving the bus and doing something round the back, and also turning on and off a switch on the top right of the dash. Couldn't see what the screen said from my seat though! I gave up and walked the last bit, and got to the Colston St stop before the bus did!
36821 later at Colston St, I was sat above the driver so could just hear the problem; engine would turn for about a quarter of a second then give up.

As you say, they seem to run fine once started.

Class 33

Established Member
Well I think we can probably guess/know most of the changes that are happening anyway.

Yes but those are relatively minor changes, like the 76 being slightly extended to Tormarton Crescent and the frequency increases on the 48A, 70 and 71. There still hopefully might be some MAJOR changes. We get some years when there are some major changes and/or brand new services introduced, that take us by surprise.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes but those are relatively minor changes, like the 76 being slightly extended to Tormarton Crescent and the frequency increases on the 48A, 70 and 71. There still hopefully might be some MAJOR changes. We get some years when there are some major changes and/or brand new services introduced, that take us by surprise.

There are two things that will influence changes
  • What is happening with Wessex? - what will happen with the 51.... You'd think that CT Plus and Stagecoach would be well placed for any BCC/SGC tenders should Wessex shut up shop
  • The impact of Metrobus - will the m3 be bolstered across the whole route and just shortworkings from centre to UWE?
Can't really think of anything else that may really influence things/change

D2007wsm

Established Member
There are two things that will influence changes
  • What is happening with Wessex? - what will happen with the 51.... You'd think that CT Plus and Stagecoach would be well placed for any BCC/SGC tenders should Wessex shut up shop
  • The impact of Metrobus - will the m3 be bolstered across the whole route and just shortworkings from centre to UWE?
Can't really think of anything else that may really influence things/change
I don't know how true it is, but a driver on a 903 last week told me it is going in 6 weeks, so presumably the M2 will be starting then.

carlberry

Established Member
I don't know how true it is, but a driver on a 903 last week told me it is going in 6 weeks, so presumably the M2 will be starting then.
They've been quoting September so, assuming they've actually fixed the snag points, that would make sense. There was some talk about Yate area revisions a wehile ago?

D2007wsm

Established Member
They've been quoting September so, assuming they've actually fixed the snag points, that would make sense. There was some talk about Yate area revisions a wehile ago?
I believe there are revisions planned all over the place, but when they happen is anyone's guess.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Indeed - the North Korean's are big fans of my youtube channel too!

I do like the 5 as it explores St Pauls and St Werberghs though concede (as with many Bristol routes), it isn't exactly rapid and whilst I think it's an interesting route, I know perhaps most people will prefer the more conventional delights of the 376 etc!

Throw it open to the thread - of the routes of First WoE, Buses of Somerset, First H&D and First Cymru, which are those less than obvious candidates that you like and why, and for balance, which ones are purgatory?
Personally I don't see the appeal to the 5, but each to their own! I actually quite like the 82. It's quite an interesting route serving some focal points in northern Bristol whilst largely staying out the way of other routes. Otherwise I can't think of many city routes that blow me away. The 73 was always a bit of a head ache back when I used it, as was Bath's 3 (13 when I lived there). In fact you could say I hated it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Personally I don't see the appeal to the 5, but each to their own! I actually quite like the 82. It's quite an interesting route serving some focal points in northern Bristol whilst largely staying out the way of other routes. Otherwise I can't think of many city routes that blow me away. The 73 was always a bit of a head ache back when I used it, as was Bath's 3 (13 when I lived there). In fact you could say I hated it!

Indeed, it is a personal perspective. Conversely, the 82 is one of those routes that I find painful as it heads from Southmead to Cribbs and then wanders around various non descript areas to get to Parkway - even less so now its gone DD operated so having the relative novelty of being SD is gone. The 73 as it bimbles about Sadly is also circuitous - not one of my faves, so agree with you there!

Sounds like you're not an urban explorer which is fair enough :D I used to focus on the country routes but in recent years, I've had a few urban trips if only because I fancied a bit of an explore to mythical places that I'd never been to. Never bothered to go to the fleshpots of Lockleaze or Ashton Vale but I have now o_O

That said, I did enjoy travelling on Badgerline routes like Trowbridge to Devizes, or Frome to Warminster that you can't do now (though you can with a Wiltshire Day Rover) so perhaps it was for the best!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Wonder if that's substantiated by the fitting of guide wheels to 36835? Indication that things are moving forward?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Indeed, it is a personal perspective. Conversely, the 82 is one of those routes that I find painful as it heads from Southmead to Cribbs and then wanders around various non descript areas to get to Parkway - even less so now its gone DD operated so having the relative novelty of being SD is gone. The 73 as it bimbles about Sadly is also circuitous - not one of my faves, so agree with you there!

Sounds like you're not an urban explorer which is fair enough :D I used to focus on the country routes but in recent years, I've had a few urban trips if only because I fancied a bit of an explore to mythical places that I'd never been to. Never bothered to go to the fleshpots of Lockleaze or Ashton Vale but I have now o_O

That said, I did enjoy travelling on Badgerline routes like Trowbridge to Devizes, or Frome to Warminster that you can't do now (though you can with a Wiltshire Day Rover) so perhaps it was for the best!
No you're right, I'm not really. Curiosity has led me to sample routes from time to time, such as the 90, but ultimately they don't do much for me and only travel on them if I have a reason to. Country routes however are a different matter and have done many of the services in our region.
Was never a fan of the 73, in which ever direction I used it. And I also preferred the 82 in the hands of B7RLEs but hey ho. Improvements were needed.

freetoview33

Established Member
From what I know the September changes will be along the lines of the following. Things in Bold are slightly speculative but are very possible.

Bath 4: Route going back to pre summer.
Bath 10: New service.
Bath 20: New service.
Bath 20A: Service withdrawn.
Bath 20C: Service withdrawn.
Bath 82: Route change.
Bath 172: Timetable change.
Bath 179: Timetable change.
Bath 768: Timetable and route change.
Bath A4: Timetable change.
Bath U1: Route change.
Bath U2: Route change.
Bristol 8: Frequency going back to pre summer.
Bristol 42A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 48A: Increased for new term.
Bristol 49A: Reintroduced.
Bristol 50: Route change.
Bristol 50A: Withdrawn.
Bristol 51: Operator change to First.

Bristol 70: Increased for new term.
Bristol 71: Increased for new term.
Bristol 76: Extended in Henbury.
Bristol 506 Shuttle: Withdrawn.
Bristol 672: Operator changes to BCT.
Bristol 903: Withdrawn.
Bristol A1: Rerouted.
Bristol A2: New service to make up for rerouted A1.

Bristol M2: Introduced.

Probably will be other changes too. But these are all but confirmed!

-Colly405-

Unsure on the 49A. Wasn't it only introduced to close the gaps when they reduced the 48A for the summer? So the 48A going back to full service may negate the need for the 49A?

Also, re the 672, I have seen B&NES saying it is moving to BCT, but Traveline shows it moving to Citistar!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
From what I know the September changes will be along the lines of the following. Things in Bold are slightly speculative but are very possible.

Bath 4: Route going back to pre summer.
Bath 20A: Service withdrawn.
Bath 20C: Service withdrawn.
Bath 82: Route change.
Bath 768: Timetable and route change.
Bath A4: Timetable change.
Bristol 50: Route change.
Bristol 50A: Withdrawn.
Bristol 51: Operator change to First.

Bristol 76: Extended in Henbury.
Bristol 506 Shuttle: Withdrawn.
Bristol 672: Operator changes to BCT.

Probably will be other changes too. But these are all but confirmed!

Did the Bath 4 change for the summer? I only thought it was the P&R extension and that was permanent? Did I miss another change?

The m3 will need to change to cope with the new year at UWE and the Bristol U1 will also need to reappear in September. As for First taking the 51 back on, that would be a volte face! Mind you, you wonder where the capacity is to take on any additional services if Wessex are to disappear and Abus have largely pulled out of anything non-First related. Bugler have also stopped doing stage work so it's CT Plus or Stagecoach in Bristol, and possibly CT Coaches in Bath.

For those who were around in 2006, we could always look to Eurotaxis getting back into major tendered work o_O

freetoview33

Established Member
Did the Bath 4 change for the summer? I only thought it was the P&R extension and that was permanent? Did I miss another change?

The m3 will need to change to cope with the new year at UWE and the Bristol U1 will also need to reappear in September. As for First taking the 51 back on, that would be a volte face! Mind you, you wonder where the capacity is to take on any additional services if Wessex are to disappear and Abus have largely pulled out of anything non-First related. Bugler have also stopped doing stage work so it's CT Plus or Stagecoach in Bristol, and possibly CT Coaches in Bath.

For those who were around in 2006, we could always look to Eurotaxis getting back into major tendered work o_O
Eurotaxis are focusing on school services now. So I doubt they will come back onto tendered work.

freetoview33

Established Member
Unsure on the 49A. Wasn't it only introduced to close the gaps when they reduced the 48A for the summer? So the 48A going back to full service may negate the need for the 49A?

Also, re the 672, I have seen B&NES saying it is moving to BCT, but Traveline shows it moving to Citistar!
It states on the first website that the 42A and 49A are coming back in September!

Class 33

Established Member
Not a fan of the 73 either. It's OK enough between Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway, but between Bristol Parkway and Cribbs Causeway it goes all over the place round Bradley Stoke. Which I too find gives me a bit of a headache. I always found it confusing when it goes round that same roundabout again that it went round about several minutes ago(or longer if the traffic is heavy!)!

I love the route the T1 takes between Broadmead to Bradley Stoke and Aztec West/Almondsbury though. Lovely non-stop run up to Harry Stoke via the M32. Instead of stopping at umpteen bus stops along the way! And a swift route through Bradley Stoke!

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

There were three Bath Unibuses at BPW on the 19/19A in quick succession this afternoon!;
32075 - 16:21 (actual 16:30) to Cribbs
32069 - 16:31 to Cribbs
32070 - 16:29 (actual 16:32) to Bath

Martin2012

Not been on the T1 yet but whenever I've seen it it's looked well loaded.

Would I be right in thinking that the majority of passengers are traveling between Bristol and Bradley Stoke rather than Thornbury?

Class 33

Established Member
The two return journeys I've done on it there were very people on it. I did a trip on it on Tuesday 29th May, which was the first normal weekday since it was introduced on Sunday 27th May. I was on the 1735 Bristol-Thornbury service, boarding at Lewins Mead and departing at Almondsbury. Very surprisingly there weren't many people on it - probably only about 15 people. Was expecting it to be very busy at that time! But I guess not many people from Almondsbury and Thornbury were fully aware of this new service back then and that it didn't depart from the bus station. On the return journey there was only about 7 people on it! Then about a month ago I did a return trip to Thornbury and back on a Sunday afternoon. Also very few people on it. But the other day I saw the 1735 Bristol-Thornbury, and it was very busy. So things have picked up a bit on this service.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Two buses were taken up, I don't know what the other was alongside 44905. They were taken as far as Bolton, being swapped for the deckers there.
Anyone know the identity of the second bus? It wasn't 44906/7/8/9 as they were all working in Bath today.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
From what I know the September changes will be along the lines of the following...

How I'm seeing it is the new 10 is replacing part of the U1 between Bath and the University via Bathwick, running from 9am 'til 2pm Monday to Friday.

The U1 is getting rerouted away from Dorchester Street and the bus and railway stations but will stop near them a few streets away, so I'm guessing the new stop will be on Rossiter Road.

All will come clear come mid August when the timetable is released.

-Colly405-

From today's Traveline update, it seems that First are replacing the 51 with a new 2A, half-hourly M-F daytime, and increasing the evening frequency of the 50, from September.

freetoview33

Established Member
Updated!

Bath 1: Increased from every 12 mins to every 10 mins.
Bath 2: Minor route change and slightly extended into Fox Hill.
Bath 6/6A/7: Minor changes.
Bath 8: Minor timetable changes.
Bristol 2A: Replacing 51.
Bristol 36: All trips extended to Hengrove Depot, additional early morning bus.
Bristol 50: Later bus All going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 50A: Minor changes
Bristol 75: All services going to Hengrove Depot
Bristol 76: Extended in Henbury, All services going to Hengrove Depot.