• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

THarris123

Established Member
Steve White has loaded a First national fleetlist dated January 2017 on to his website.
Surprised to see Royales 34192/3/4/6/7/9/200 shown as still owned (withdrawn)
I thought these would have been sold months ago. According to the fleetlist Citybuses 38000/1/4/5/6 are all still owned (delicenced) and even 38002 shown as withdrawn.
Wasn't there a report a while back saying 38002 had been removed by Alpha?

His list isn't always completely up to date and there are usually a few odd mistakes. I tend to find that most vehicles marked with a w are actually gone from the fleet. I don't usually compare the u and w marked vehicles - better to just compare existing fleet and withdrawn fleet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FSW Official

Steve White has loaded a First national fleetlist dated January 2017 on to his website.
I thought these would have been sold months ago. According to the fleetlist Citybuses 38000/1/4/5/6 are all still owned (delicenced) and even 38002 shown as withdrawn.

38002 did indeed go to Alpha for scrap.
All the rest are correctly shown.

busconductors

TheGrand Wazoo
I do note that for someone who doesn't have internet access, you were able to post at 00:54.... :roll:
--End Quote---

Hello, TheGrandWazoo, I notice you continue to try to discredit me. I cannot let this go unchallenged. Let me explain.

I placed an order with BT for phone and broadband in October 2016. An engineer was sent on 17th October and was unable to activate it. I waited and in November another engineer called and was unable to activate it. I waited. In desperation I sent an email to the BT CEO. I am still waiting. Some of my neighbours seem to be more fortunate, already having BT hubs, and I have recently discovered that, if I stand near the sitting room window, I can connect to BT wifi. Great news, what do you think? Now I can contribute to this forum every day and at any time of the day or night. Ah - the magic of wifi!

I take back my criticisms of First Kernow, because, when it comes to inefficiency you can't beat BT!

richw

Veteran Member

The Royals are stored In a depot in the North Somerset area along with amongst others the Truro college branded Palatine Olympian,

Whiteway215

Established Member
The Royals are stored In a depot in the North Somerset area along with amongst others the Truro college branded Palatine Olympian,

I don't wish to labour this subject but can anyone suggest why these Royales have been kept so long?

Blackpudding

Possibly still depreciating or the view that they may be valuable for parts on the open market.
I'm sure FSW Official will advise if appropriate.

Having said that I make it just over 100 vehicles that are listed in reserve, unserviceable or withdrawn in the South West region which seems proportionally high against the operational fleet. Do we know if this is an official list?

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Possibly still depreciating or the view that they may be valuable for parts on the open market.
I'm sure FSW Official will advise if appropriate.

Having said that I make it just over 100 vehicles that are listed in reserve, unserviceable or withdrawn in the South West region which seems proportionally high against the operational fleet. Do we know if this is an official list?

I think it partially is an official list, but I know there's some stuff in it which are based on observations, etc.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trivial question, but someone will know the answer. Most days I run into President 32104, usually on the 17/a. Why does the front destination blind box have an orangey red surround rather than the usual black?

fgwrich

Established Member

philthetube

Established Member
Trivial question, but someone will know the answer. Most days I run into President 32104, usually on the 17/a. Why does the front destination blind box have an orangey red surround rather than the usual black?

I would suggest you look where you are going:lol:

DaveHarries

Established Member
First KErnow appear to have some changes coming up. A look on TravelineSW (search for First Kernow as the operator) brings up that new timetables are available for the following routes wef 12-Feb-2017:

11 Penzance Local
14 Truro - St. Ives
16, 16A Penzance - St. Ives
17, 17A Boscaswell / Madron - Penzance - St. Ives
18 Penzance - Truro
21 St. Austell - Newquay
47 Troon - Truro
87 Newquay - Truro
101 Luxulyan - St. Austell

One or two obvious changes I notice when the old and new timetables are compared are that, wef 12/02/2017:
- Service 11: the 1628 from Penzance Bus Station will no longer continue to Sainsburys on return to the Bus Station. All other times remain unchanged.

- Service 17/17A: quite a few retimings. Also the 0757 from Madron will remain as a 17A but will commence from Zennor at 0745 and will run later between Madron and Penzance than the current 0757 from Madron.

- Service 21: 0740 from Newquay retimed on Mondays to Fridays (except Public Holidays) to 0725. This trip will also commence from Treloggan (Morrisons) on schooldays and to run to Newquay Bus Station and then follow the Service 21 route to St. Austell (Bus Station and Cornwall College). Similarly, 1651 from St. Austell Bus Station to start from Cornwall College at 1646 on schooldays and, after serving St. Austell Bus Station, to continue via the full Service 21 route to Newquay Bus Station and then Treloggan (Morrisons). No changes on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays.

- Service 47: minor retimings.

No obvious changes to the routes or timings of the 87 & 101 so not sure why new TTs have been issued for these routes. New timetables for the 14 & 18 were not available so I am not sure what the changes are for those routes.

HTIOI,
Dave

14/18 seemed to be renumbered T1/T2 from that date, timetable showing in Traveline SW.

First KErnow appear to have some changes coming up. A look on TravelineSW (search for First Kernow as the operator) brings up that new timetables are available for the following routes wef 12-Feb-2017:

11 Penzance Local
14 Truro - St. Ives
16, 16A Penzance - St. Ives
17, 17A Boscaswell / Madron - Penzance - St. Ives
18 Penzance - Truro
21 St. Austell - Newquay
47 Troon - Truro
87 Newquay - Truro
101 Luxulyan - St. Austell

One or two obvious changes I notice when the old and new timetables are compared are that, wef 12/02/2017:
- Service 11: the 1628 from Penzance Bus Station will no longer continue to Sainsburys on return to the Bus Station. All other times remain unchanged.

- Service 17/17A: quite a few retimings. Also the 0757 from Madron will remain as a 17A but will commence from Zennor at 0745 and will run later between Madron and Penzance than the current 0757 from Madron.

- Service 21: 0740 from Newquay retimed on Mondays to Fridays (except Public Holidays) to 0725. This trip will also commence from Treloggan (Morrisons) on schooldays and to run to Newquay Bus Station and then follow the Service 21 route to St. Austell (Bus Station and Cornwall College). Similarly, 1651 from St. Austell Bus Station to start from Cornwall College at 1646 on schooldays and, after serving St. Austell Bus Station, to continue via the full Service 21 route to Newquay Bus Station and then Treloggan (Morrisons). No changes on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays.

- Service 47: minor retimings.

No obvious changes to the routes or timings of the 87 & 101 so not sure why new TTs have been issued for these routes. New timetables for the 14 & 18 were not available so I am not sure what the changes are for those routes.

HTIOI,
Dave

THarris123

Established Member
14/18 seemed to be renumbered T1/T2 from that date, timetable showing in Traveline SW.

That's a nice idea. Good old First with their renumbering. I mean why keep the same number anyway when you can change it and confuse people?

I would assume its because of Tinner? - Tinner 1 and Tinner 2.

I'm really not a fan of all this renumbering thing. I can understand it when its a complete network overhaul (like I've suggested in the past), but I think it just confuses people - especially what they did in Bath.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That's a nice idea. Good old First with their renumbering. I mean why keep the same number anyway when you can change it and confuse people?

I would assume its because of Tinner? - Tinner 1 and Tinner 2.

I'm really not a fan of all this renumbering thing. I can understand it when its a complete network overhaul (like I've suggested in the past), but I think it just confuses people - especially what they did in Bath.

So that explains why the branding on the buses mentions no route numbers!

I'm inclined to agree with you on renumbering. How many years will the Tinner identity endure? The life of these particular buses, I would suggest, or rather until they're downgraded to other routes in approx. five years. It is not just a First thing, of course: all the major companies do this sort of thing (I almost said 'are guilty of doing this', but that would be pejorative). Locals will still refer to the 18, of course, but the 14, being of more recent origin, may give up its identity more easily.

richw

Veteran Member

I'm inclined to agree with you on renumbering. How many years will the Tinner identity endure? The life of these particular buses, I would suggest, or rather until they're downgraded to other routes in approx. five years. It is not just a First thing, of course: all the major companies do this sort of thing (I almost said 'are guilty of doing this', but that would be pejorative). Locals will still refer to the 18, of course, but the 14, being of more recent origin, may give up its identity more easily.

The U1 is still the 88 to me.

THarris123

Established Member

Well I thought that the Kernow service numbers (apart from U1/2/3) all made some sense and were/are pretty easy to follow (unlike most of Bristol), so its ashame to see it all fiddled around again.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well I thought that the Kernow service numbers (apart from U1/2/3) all made some sense and were/are pretty easy to follow (unlike most of Bristol), so its ashame to see it all fiddled around again.

The U numbers were presumably at the behest of the University college situated in Penryn, but given most students will only be using them (if at all) for a maximum of three years I'd have thought their attention span could be lengthened sufficiently to remember the original numbers: if not, I'm sure an app could have been created.:)

Goldfish62

Established Member

Although I like so much of what First Kernow is doing, this has a big thumbs down from me. The 18/518 has always had excellent recognition as being the main trunk route through the spine of the western part of Cornwall. People will still be referring to it as the 18 for years to come.

83G/84D

Established Member
Given that they have now been in service for about a month I'd be interested to learn of anyone's experiences of the E400 MMC's on services 14 & 18.

Incidentally I saw 33469 for the first time today although it appears it has yet to enter service.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Although I like so much of what First Kernow is doing, this has a big thumbs down from me. The 18/518 has always had excellent recognition as being the main trunk route through the spine of the western part of Cornwall. People will still be referring to it as the 18 for years to come.
Never heard of the 518. Presumably the predecessor of the current 18, at least in part?

Dave