• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

FSW Official

Thanks to those who have picked up the issue with screens that haven't been updated.
We've instigated a programme this weekend to manually update all vehicles across Cornwall and in the process identify any that have a technical issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Was it because when a breakdown occurred on one leg, then the whole run was lost. If two separate vehicles are on the run & one fails, only one section is lost and less payment to the Council for a missed run; also the other section will still run.

Sorry, I can't give a definitive answer on this, but I don't think breakdowns were the issue really, much more the traffic congestion. Now we have the ongoing Lelant to St Erth crawl (in that direction) unnecessarily caused by Cornwall Council, manageable during the late autumn/winter/early Spring but will raise its head again once the Easter holidays arrive, and again from Whit onwards unless the council find some way of mitigating it. Add to this the felling of trees, bushes etc and levelling of land that has started at St Erth presumably in connection with this mysterious ''interchange'' that Cornwall Council has decided to spend millions on, for purposes that have changed over the years and still raise more questions than answers, and it remains to be seen whether the route conjunction is viable long-term imo.

Penwithian

Thanks to those who have picked up the issue with screens that haven't been updated.
We've instigated a programme this weekend to manually update all vehicles across Cornwall and in the process identify any that have a technical issue.

Great news. It just shows what a forum like this can achieve for the mutual benefit of operators, customers and enthusiasts alike.

Penwithian

A word of caution from an oldtimer. The 10/17 marriage was also attempted a few years ago, though at the onset of the summer timetable, and congestion, mainly at the St Ives end, quickly put an end to it, in practice before in theory i.e. although the public timetable wasn't altered, you had in the daytime to change bus at PZ bus station, not always with an immediate onward connection. An extra bus was allocated for this purpose I believe in July and August at least. It went back to two separate routes either with the autumn timetable or the following summer - can't remember which, but my timetable collection can be found should anyone want to know.

The 10/17 merge running as a 17/17A to St Just (17) and via Pendeen (17A) ceased during 2010 possibly at the start of the winter timetable and became 10/10A certainly by February 2011 when I moved to the area.

83G/84D

Established Member
Great news. It just shows what a forum like this can achieve for the mutual benefit of operators, customers and enthusiasts alike.

Agree, and perhaps going forward the issue of non-working side and rear destination indicators can be addressed.Not an issue that can be fixed quickly but I see far too many vehicles with these defective for long periods of time.

GBM

A driver tell me that they put that sort of information on the daily fault report but nothing is done.
Putting it on a public forum seems to produce results.

richw

Veteran Member
A driver tell me that they put that sort of information on the daily fault report but nothing is done.
Putting it on a public forum seems to produce results.

I've been told the same, but the driver who told me said they are short of engineers so priority is given to mechanical and safety critical repairs. That sounds reasonable to me. In all realistic terms, a rear destination blind is not seen by waiting passengers as the bus approaches, so to me it's not a big deal.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I've been told the same, but the driver who told me said they are short of engineers so priority is given to mechanical and safety critical repairs. That sounds reasonable to me. In all realistic terms, a rear destination blind is not seen by waiting passengers as the bus approaches, so to me it's not a big deal.

I've been told there's more than enough overtime available to engineers in West Cornwall just to keep everything on the road, and I agree about rear blind numbers being no big deal, to which I'd add side blinds as well (where fitted)

MrKnow

I've been told there's more than enough overtime available to engineers in West Cornwall just to keep everything on the road, and I agree about rear blind numbers being no big deal, to which I'd add side blinds as well (where fitted)

funny you should mention overtime and engineers. Tonight I had to catch the last 35 back from Falmouth where in the Acacia housing estate a van reversed into the back of the bus breaking a window so the bus had to be swapped at the Falmouth depot where there was only deckers and a coach. 42563 was also there but it was being worked on. My driver phoned Camborne who suggested that we take the coach which anyone who's ever travelled along the 35 know's that a coach wont go down Penjurrack, a Dart & Solo only just squeeze through! Anyway after no response for almost 3/4 hour one of the Jersey Dart's finished its duty so my driver took that much to his relief I think as Camborne were in no hurry to get back in contact with us!

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member

I don't agree. Quite apart from the fact that side and rear blinds are a mandatory requirement not everyone approaches a bus from the front. We're not in the 1970s anymore with its take it or leave approach to bus services.

GBM

funny you should mention overtime and engineers. Tonight I had to catch the last 35 back from Falmouth where in the Acacia housing estate a van reversed into the back of the bus breaking a window so the bus had to be swapped at the Falmouth depot where there was only deckers and a coach. 42563 was also there but it was being worked on. My driver phoned Camborne who suggested that we take the coach which anyone who's ever travelled along the 35 know's that a coach wont go down Penjurrack, a Dart & Solo only just squeeze through! Anyway after no response for almost 3/4 hour one of the Jersey Dart's finished its duty so my driver took that much to his relief I think as Camborne were in no hurry to get back in contact with us!

A hazard of centralisation. They know their own local area but scant local knowledge outside of that.

83G/84D

Established Member
Open top B7TL's 32202 & 32207 were at Camborne today after recent painting whilst 32103 awaits painting.

Meanwhile this afternoon an E400MMC seen on the A30 Hayle bypass westbound on the 18C. It was quickly followed by two more on the 239 at Loggans Moor roundabout.

Attachments

• DSC09756.jpg
    DSC09756.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC09758.jpg
    DSC09758.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 69
  • ED2A5131.jpg
    ED2A5131.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 71

MrKnow

Open top B7TL's 32202 & 32207 were at Camborne today after recent painting whilst 32103 awaits painting.

Meanwhile this afternoon an E400MMC seen on the A30 Hayle bypass westbound on the 18C. It was quickly followed by two more on the 239 at Loggans Moor roundabout.

Those Presidents will look ace once they're all branded up. So that's 4 of them done now, any ideas which ones will be next as I saw 32211 working out of Truro on Friday & 32209 working out of Helston. Also is the BoS liveried ALX400 32027 going to be re-painted this year to?

83G/84D

Established Member
Another open top B7TL appearance at Camborne today, this time it was 32104. An unusual destination seen on a E400 MMC, any idea what service this is?

Attachments

• DSC09777.jpg
    DSC09777.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC09772rev.jpg
    DSC09772rev.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 68

FSW Official

Another open top B7TL appearance at Camborne today, this time it was 32104. An unusual destination seen on a E400 MMC, any idea what service this is?

We hold a contract with Cornwall College for home to college student transport. It consists of a mixture of travel on network routes and some dedicated closed door contracts. The MMC is operating a closed contract. There are a number of such lines in Truro Penzance and Camborne depots which are earmarked for branded double decks when there are more available for service than required for their branded routes.

busconductors

On yesterday's bus, a member of staff was standing at the front wearing a high visibility sleeveless jacket with Buddy Driver written on the back, and underneath, in small letters "achieving excellence together". What is his job? Is he a mentor to new drivers, or is this a return to bus conductors? If they are now recruiting bus conductors, I will apply. Where do I get the application form? I would like to be a buddy driver, too. It sounds fun.

GBM

On yesterday's bus, a member of staff was standing at the front wearing a high visibility sleeveless jacket with Buddy Driver written on the back, and underneath, in small letters "achieving excellence together". What is his job? Is he a mentor to new drivers, or is this a return to bus conductors? If they are now recruiting bus conductors, I will apply. Where do I get the application form? I would like to be a buddy driver, too. It sounds fun.

When new drivers have passed their PCV test, they are allocated a depot and at that depot given a "buddy" who will mentor them over the next two weeks. The new driver will follow the buddy's duties and will build up some route knowledge; vehicle type knowledge & ticket machine familiarity. Plus depot workings & all the legal paperwork associated therein. At the end of two weeks, provided the buddy is happy, the new driver will be signed off as competent to go solo.

83G/84D

Established Member
We hold a contract with Cornwall College for home to college student transport. It consists of a mixture of travel on network routes and some dedicated closed door contracts. The MMC is operating a closed contract. There are a number of such lines in Truro Penzance and Camborne depots which are earmarked for branded double decks when there are more available for service than required for their branded routes.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

lodekkafs

Purely out of interest are you able to give details of these closed door contracts? Fully appreciate they are not available to the public and so understand if you can't, but always interested in such workings.

Last edited:

lodekkafs

Purely out of interest are you able to give some detail of these closed door contracts? Fully appreciate that they are not available to the public so understand if you cannot give such detail, but I'm always fascinated by such workings.

busconductors

When new drivers have passed their PCV test, they are allocated a depot and at that depot given a "buddy" who will mentor them over the next two weeks. The new driver will follow the buddy's duties and will build up some route knowledge; vehicle type knowledge & ticket machine familiarity. Plus depot workings & all the legal paperwork associated therein. At the end of two weeks, provided the buddy is happy, the new driver will be signed off as competent to go solo.

Thanks, GBM, but you make it sound so dull. In my imagination I could see a bunch of buddy drivers dancing to "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" in the MoneySupermarket advert.

Last edited:

LAIRA

Thanks, GBM, but you make it sound so dull. In my imagination I could see a bunch of buddy drivers dancing to "Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" in the MoneySupermarket advert.

But running buses is a serious business not the place where safety in the main concern.

richw

Veteran Member
Just seen this on Facebook, and can't work out which way they will divert after leaving redruth from the west bound stop. Assumingly turning right through the town centre, as I don't believe even a single decker will get under the low bridge on the official roadwork diversion.

Attachments

• IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 52

busconductors

But running buses is a serious business not the place where safety in the main concern.

Hello, LAIRA. I wonder what you mean. You say that driving a bus is not the place where safety is the main concern. So what is the main concern then? Perhaps the main concern is timekeeping? Does timekeeping rate as first priority and safety second? That would explain some things I have observed lately, such as buses mounting the pavement. Also swerving to the wrong side of the road to pass bollards in the middle of the road.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
53503 was an unusual visitor on the 17A this afternoon. I've not seen one of that type on the route before.

richw

Veteran Member
I've noticed and have been left mildly amused that the bus wash appears to miss a triangular shape around the rear number plates on the MMCs. They always appear clean except a small area around the 66 part of the registration plate. Funnily Morrisons car wash missed exactly the same bit on my car, leaving a section of dirt across the 57 part of my car.

mic

this year i am hoping to ride darts 42871/75/42924/42/46/43905/6 which routes are these used on

83G/84D

Established Member
this year i am hoping to ride darts 42871/75/42924/42/46/43905/6 which routes are these used on

They are not on dedicated routes so could be anywhere on the network! The 428xx batch do tend to be in West and mid Cornwall most of the time.

richw

Veteran Member
Darts do seem confined to certain routes now, which should help finding them easier.