• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Due to delays in construction of the St Erth multi modal hub (Park and Ride for St Ives) buses will continue to stop on the main road until the stops are ready outside the railway station.

This is expected to be in the Autumn. I wonder if an extra time allowance will be built into the timetables for buses to serve the railway station?

As I understand it all passing First Kernow services will call at the railway station when the stops are ready.
To say I'm sceptical about the hub's purpose would be an understatement (I'd go so far as to say I'm deeply cynical about it, although it's Cornwall Council I'd accuse of cynicism) and, if the T2 were not to be diverted in both directions to also serve it, I would say it's going to be absolutely pointless. We have a similar situation with Sainsbury's Penzance store and the new so-called Park and Ride car park spaces there: only trouble, there are no dedicated Ride buses, the Parkers being expected to get the local service buses that pass that way and pay the high minimum fare! The hub's bill, when completed, is going to be mouth-wateringly high, with people parking and trying to all get on to the tiny train that's already overloaded at peak and holiday times.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I would like to think that some thought have gone into these reductions in services. Wouldn’t First Kernow analyse loadings on certain routes and journeys and only cut those that are consistently running with few passengers

With limited resources I’d rather they put extra services on busier routes than run buses full of nothing but fresh air.

It is not as though they are cutting off communities and withdrawing services in their entirety.

From my albeit rather unscientific observations loadings on some routes are consistently low. Sections of routes 38, 39, 39A, regularly have poor loadings outside peak times as do some routes in West Cornwall such as 16 & 16A.

Is the decision to cut services due to a shortage of council subsidy or more complex than that?
My friend in Ludgvan Churchtown would certainly dispute low loadings on the 16 between there and PZ: he doesn't travel on the peak workings, but says it's not uncommon to have standees and, occasionally, have to deny passengers boarding. Also, with the 11's forthcoming withdrawal from Sainsbury's the 16 will carry more on that leg to the bus station in future.
The 39A's loadings have suffered since it bypassed Marazion (I imagine because traffic problems there could delay it enough on occasion to impact on its interworking with the 39 further north). Marazion is not exactly overbussed, but its road system doesn't lend itself to buses, particularly larger ones.

Westnat

My friend in Ludgvan Churchtown would certainly dispute low loadings on the 16 between there and PZ: he doesn't travel on the peak workings, but says it's not uncommon to have standees and, occasionally, have to deny passengers boarding. Also, with the 11's forthcoming withdrawal from Sainsbury's the 16 will carry more on that leg to the bus station in future.
The 39A's loadings have suffered since it bypassed Marazion (I imagine because traffic problems there could delay it enough on occasion to impact on its interworking with the 39 further north). Marazion is not exactly overbussed, but its road system doesn't lend itself to buses, particularly larger ones.
I'm not sure I understand your concerns regarding the changes to the 16. There are no changes to the 16 Monday to Friday and only a few minor changes to the 16 on a Saturday. The 16A on a Saturday has been cut, but it didn't serve Ludgvan anyway.

83G/84D

Established Member
Vehicle reliability is poor, barely a day passes without at least one vehicle breaking down judging by First Kernow’s twitter feed. Poor Timekeeping is another issue however First Kernow will argue quite rightly that a lot of the reasons for this is beyond its control.

1 or 2 breakdowns for a fleet of 200 buses isn’t a bad stat, we just know every breakdown because they’re good at communicating.

I take your point however by myself the time a replacement bus is sourced several services are binned and many people are inconvenienced.Quite often the buses break down whilst in service which isn’t great for the people on board.

83G/84D

Established Member

I appreciate the 16 has largely escaped the cuts however the services have barely had a handful of passengers on board when I travelled on it - virtually none at the St Ives end.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just seen this posted on First Kernow facebook page:-

"Due to a technical fault the M6 is now operating a Double Decker bus to the old coast guard station Mousehole until further notice. This means the 2nd bus will operate normal service to Mousehole".
This is the first time I've seen them post this. On the numerous occasions this occurs there's normally radio silence. It's got to the stage now where if you've got an appointment or train connection you walk to the Coastguards incase it's a double deck. FK have got eight buses that will fit into Mousehole yet they seem unable to source more than one at a time consistently and reliably.

GBM

This is the first time I've seen them post this. On the numerous occasions this occurs there's normally radio silence. It's got to the stage now where if you've got an appointment or train connection you walk to the Coastguards incase it's a double deck. FK have got eight buses that will fit into Mousehole yet they seem unable to source more than one at a time consistently and reliably.
I believe if a service 16 fails then a Mousehole seems to be taken off to replace it. It's the "we can afford to lose one bus and replace with a decker until the 16 is replaced" run. Occasionally nothing replaces it, so Mousehole goes to one an hour.

GBM

Maybe receive an extra minute if passengers are lucky! Being the scheduler their computer will show as traffic lights provided for entrance and exit no additional time needed.
This will mean existing timing can be kept unchanged....
From what I've seen, when T1/T2 timings are altered on runs, minutes are pared off existing runs then added at the Truro end as 'lay-over's'. Redruth used to be a 5 minute wait. It's now 2 minutes. Minutes were taken off between Camborne and Redruth & Redruth and Truro retail park.
When the short 18's were cut and replaced with Tinners, the service reduced to 15 minutes with the assurance the tinners would be quicker (and timings between stops reduced). Unfortunately they are picking up more students and road traffic has increased, combined with the rapid growth of temporary traffic lights so Tinners are invariably bunching up and running quite late.

It seems the 300 open top timings are the same as last year with a longer layover at each end. At times 300's (also the Pz to Landsend section) were frequently running an hour and more late.

Evening and Sunday runs the timings are cut a bit more between stop as First say less people are travelling and less traffic around so busses can speed up.
Unfortunately First seem not to learn the lesson about timings.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I believe if a service 16 fails then a Mousehole seems to be taken off to replace it. It's the "we can afford to lose one bus and replace with a decker until the 16 is replaced" run. Occasionally nothing replaces it, so Mousehole goes to one an hour.
Yes, that sounds like what does happen. However, the 5, 11 and 16 which usually use small buses can use larger ones. Mousehole has to have a very specific size In my past experience in bus operations it smacks of laziness, I'm afraid.

VRT fan

Morning all. Walking past the depot in Camborne Monday afternoon and spotted 30876 ready to be towed to the scrapyard.2018-05-18_09-55-04.jpg

83G/84D

Established Member
After work today I had a couple of hours in St Austell watching the comings and goings. Lots more new kit than when I was last here around 2 - 3 weeks ago!!

Seen were the following,
E400MMC:- 33316, 33318, 33315, 33305, 33313, 33307 & 33317.
E200MMC:- 44951, 44952, 44960, 44959, 44962, 44955, 44956, 44958 & 44957.
E200:- 44920.
Dart:- 43861 & 42559.
Solo:- 53406.
Trident:- 32758.
Dart 42860 was seen Truro bound on the A390 just outside St Austell "not in service".

In Truro, Volvo B7TL 30878 was on service 87.

MB162435

Established Member
E200 44921 was on the 15:15 46 service from Truro, Penair School to Redruth via Truro, Lemon Quay

E200 MMCs are becoming more of a common sight out of Camborne, 44968 13:30 47 service from Troon Square to Truro and the 15:25 return service, another E200 MMC was on the 14:35 47 service from Truro, Lemon Quay to Troon Square

MB162435

Established Member
Tinner MMC 33469 failed at Falmouth Moor while on U3 duties and was collected by a tow truck at 17:45 and Trident 33153 was on Falmouth P&R services between the town center and Ponsharden

83G/84D

Established Member
E400MMC 33455 was towed into Camborne a short while ago whilst Trident 33165 was seen on a Penzance bound T1.

MB162435

Established Member
FalRiver Trident 32819 was on a staff shuttle at Truro College at 13:00, strangely they change T3 drivers at the college not in the city center, probably because the driver comes from Camborne depot so the nearest place to change, although they could just catch a Tinner from Camborne therefore not having to send a bus out and saving on fuel cost

MB162435

Established Member
E400MMC 33455 was towed into Camborne a short while ago whilst Trident 33165 was seen on a Penzance bound T1.
Could of been 33455 actually, read so many bus fleet numbers today probably getting them mixed up, be a bit of a coincidence for two Tinners to break down on the same evening

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I appreciate the 16 has largely escaped the cuts however the services have barely had a handful of passengers on board when I travelled on it - virtually none at the St Ives end.
First don't seem to want passengers waiting at St Ives knowing that they can catch a 16 to Penzance as well as the A17 or (in season) the open topper. I'm NOT critical of FK on this: fill the small bus with PZ passengers and no-one waiting en route will be able to get on. Buses can also run quite late at times, according to my friend, so passengers who live on or near the route sometimes go back home after, say, twenty minutes, only for the bus to be running. Another friend, who lives in Madron, says this is also a problem with the A17, particularly if you're waiting for a bus from Pendeen.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, that sounds like what does happen. However, the 5, 11 and 16 which usually use small buses can use larger ones. Mousehole has to have a very specific size In my past experience in bus operations it smacks of laziness, I'm afraid.
On the 16, larger buses sometimes skip sections of the route, I'm sure on an unofficial basis.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand your concerns regarding the changes to the 16. There are no changes to the 16 Monday to Friday and only a few minor changes to the 16 on a Saturday. The 16A on a Saturday has been cut, but it didn't serve Ludgvan anyway.
I haven't seen the new timetable: I was responding to what had been posted regarding cuts to the service. My friend will be relieved!

henairs

FalRiver Trident 32819 was on a staff shuttle at Truro College at 13:00, strangely they change T3 drivers at the college not in the city center, probably because the driver comes from Camborne depot so the nearest place to change, although they could just catch a Tinner from Camborne therefore not having to send a bus out and saving on fuel cost
Hi,
Thanks for that info. Means 32819 has'ent gone to Somerset just yet as an earlier post suggested
Just for the record has 32819 ever worked out of Bridgwater beforehand?
Thanks for any info on the above,
Mike R

I believe the rest will be scrapped in the next few weeks from now then

Apparently 53403 & 4 are due to lose their private plates soon, any confirmation?

Correct, though after speaking with some well-informed First staff a few weeks ago, I have reason to believe that 42860 is being sold for preservation as well.

Also, in another part of First: 32810 has been sold to Abus in Bristol