• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
@83G/84D I knew it! I had a hunch it'd be joining us as we have 33111 and 33112, would only make sense to nab 33113 from Norwich!

@Whiteway215 My original intention coming on here this evening was to mention that, and I can confirm they are coming down with a few others.

--edit: Done some deep digging, and it seems as if South Yorkshire are getting rid of all their presidents by the end of the week.

33032, 33041, 33071, 33083, 33125, 33127, & 33230 are all said to be coming to our end according to the forums.

32108 - 32111, 32215 - 32220, & 32308 - 32312 are slowly going off fleet, so some of those could possibly join us? Not sure, but we'll have to wait and see!
At the risk of seeming mean, that’s not quite the answer that you got from your question

“I'm not sure at the minute, I know 33071/33127 going but we've still got 33041/33125/33230 on fleet. 33230 is on it's last legs and 33125 is probably the best one of the lot.”

http://travelsy.proboards.com/thread/18544/first-south-yorkshire-fleet?page=230#ixzz5GgsSBnsD

Think it may be better to see what actually arrives. We run the risk taking speculation (however well intentioned) being translated into “fact” e.g. 33144/33158 recorded as being with Kernow when they were working in Hoeford.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

True, but I assumed 33113 would join us with the fact that its fleetnumber continues from the two ex GAL presidents we already have, and it did.

Basically I've been studying what buses we get in and what buses we send out, and it seems that anything similarly numbered is wanted.

For example: we recieved 33001 & 002 from Hampshire & Dorset this year, and they are directly related to each other. And if you look at the pattern of LR02/LT52 tridents we're getting, my assumption is most likely correct, but I am not sure.

Though whoever said 33144/33158 was with Kernow obviously didn't do much research before mentioning it..

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
True, but I assumed 33113 would join us with the fact that its fleetnumber continues from the two ex GAL presidents we already have, and it did.

Basically I've been studying what buses we get in and what buses we send out, and it seems that anything similarly numbered is wanted.

For example: we recieved 33001 & 002 from Hampshire & Dorset this year, and they are directly related to each other. And if you look at the pattern of LR02/LT52 tridents we're getting, my assumption is most likely correct, but I am not sure.

Though whoever said 33144/33158 was with Kernow obviously didn't do much research before mentioning it..
Always a dangerous trap to follow the number sequences.

After all, the Kernow Eclipses 69218-30 went to Somerset but whilst a seemingly random selection went to Manchester, then others went to South Yorkshire.

Sometimes it happens to follow evident logic, sometimes not. There are often reasons not immediately apparent why vehicles do or don’t get transferred.

MB162435

Established Member
Tinner MMC 33459 was on the 08:50 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro, Lemon Quay and the 09:35 return service

MB162435

Established Member
Green E400 MMC 33321 was on the 14:35 U1 service from Truro, Lemon Quay to Falmouth Moor and another Tinner MMC was on Falmouth P&R services

AaronR

Hi guys, Not sure if this is something that someone could help with. I am in the VERY early stages of relocating down to Cornwall from Suffolk, and my plan is to go ahead with my PCV licence and get a job on the buses, possibly FK but would consider any open vacancies. I am currently looking at North Cornwall Newquay/Padstow areas ideally but also Hayle. One of the many burning questions rattling around in my brain is what an average day in the life of a First Kernow driver is like? Could anyone actually give me a rundown of a random days duty? Im interested in how far I would be driving each day, where to, how services link etc.

Could someone help with that at all?

Thanks in advance, Aaron

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 32755 was seen on a eastbound T2 at Camborne at 1750hrs.

Coach VOO 273 is pink.

Hi guys, Not sure if this is something that someone could help with. I am in the VERY early stages of relocating down to Cornwall from Suffolk, and my plan is to go ahead with my PCV licence and get a job on the buses, possibly FK but would consider any open vacancies. I am currently looking at North Cornwall Newquay/Padstow areas ideally but also Hayle. One of the many burning questions rattling around in my brain is what an average day in the life of a First Kernow driver is like? Could anyone actually give me a rundown of a random days duty? Im interested in how far I would be driving each day, where to, how services link etc.

Could someone help with that at all?

Thanks in advance, Aaron

You'll definitely be wanted as First Kernow are short of drivers and they also do driver training.

I'd say the normal working duty would be from 06:00AM to 18:00 or 21:00 depending on the route you're allocated.

For example: The 27 runs from Bodmin Morrisons to St Austell (and half the time continues to Truro), though for the other half, it turns back to Bodmin. It's basically the same if you started at Truro.

Last edited:
I think anything that's non-standard in terms of liveries or formations have a different style reg like 23208

For Example: The Atlantic Coasters & Mousehole buses all have a plate that looks like this: HIG----, MIG----, and OIG----.

And the coaches all have plates in this format: TFO319 (basically three letters and three numbers), and are also from a lot of different places (some even go back to western greyhound, for example: TFO319 is a good one for history)

I don't know if there are any others, but it's basically three letters then four numbers for anything other than a coach (Though for some I'm thinking if they are specifically allocated, like most if not all of Somerset's buses)

Though this is only a theory, so I could be entirely wrong at the same time!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think anything that's non-standard in terms of liveries or formations have a different style reg like 23208

For Example: The Atlantic Coasters & Mousehole buses all have a plate that looks like this: HIG----, MIG----, and OIG----.

And the coaches all have plates in this format: TFO319 (basically three letters and three numbers), and are also from a lot of different places (some even go back to western greyhound, for example: TFO319 is a good one for history)

I don't know if there are any others, but it's basically three letters then four numbers for anything other than a coach (Though for some I'm thinking if they are specifically allocated, like most if not all of Somerset's buses)

Though this is only a theory, so I could be entirely wrong at the same time!
It’s really about disguising the age of certain vehicles and also retaining cherished plates. Some of the coaches are quite old so they got dateless plates (so better for private hires and RR work) and the open toppers are going to be kept for some years - hence why they got dateless plates - though closed top Atlantic Coasters haven’t.

Some plates have been recycled a few times; some were on TavyLinx B6s that got dateless plates to disguise the fact that they weren’t new vehicles but refurbished ex York cascades. Others were on the ex Airbus Olympians - again as these were higher spec but quite old kit.

A number were more recently obtained and were put on old fleet sent to BoS but painted in the then new green livery.

33377-82 have a mix of three and four number digit plates oddly. Of those, some are more recent OIG plates recycled from BoS B10BLEs but others have been on various machines. 530OHU was new on a Lodekka and was on a Badgerline Tiger that was sent to Western National. It ended on an Olympian before going on a 2005 Irizar. WSV409 was on a B10M in Devon before going on a Somerset B6 and now on a Somerset Trident.

Suspect HIG1524 is on that Trident because it’s for Vamooz (if that’s right) as again it disguises the age for that type of work!

Really, it’s about hiding the age for vehicles on certain work (like RR and private hire)!

mic

It’s really about disguising the age of certain vehicles and also retaining cherished plates. Some of the coaches are quite old so they got dateless plates (so better for private hires and RR work) and the open toppers are going to be kept for some years - hence why they got dateless plates - though closed top Atlantic Coasters haven’t.

Some plates have been recycled a few times; some were on TavyLinx B6s that got dateless plates to disguise the fact that they weren’t new vehicles but refurbished ex York cascades. Others were on the ex Airbus Olympians - again as these were higher spec but quite old kit.

A number were more recently obtained and were put on old fleet sent to BoS but painted in the then new green livery.

33377-82 have a mix of three and four number digit plates oddly. Of those, some are more recent OIG plates recycled from BoS B10BLEs but others have been on various machines. 530OHU was new on a Lodekka and was on a Badgerline Tiger that was sent to Western National. It ended on an Olympian before going on a 2005 Irizar. WSV409 was on a B10M in Devon before going on a Somerset B6 and now on a Somerset Trident.

Suspect HIG1524 is on that Trident because it’s for Vamooz (if that’s right) as again it disguises the age for that type of work!

Really, it’s about hiding the age for vehicles on certain work (like RR and private hire)!

WSV 409 was also on a Yorkshire rider Leyland tiger coach 1605

83G/84D

Established Member
Trident 33142 seen at Treliske Hospital on a St Ives bound T2 at 10am. E400MMC 33318 on a U2 service at Falmouth mid morning.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Genuinely disappointed to see three different buses today in Penzance with no indication from the front of which routes they were operating other than a cardboard (?) number by the front door, and no mention of a destination. Two were double deckers, one a single, the latter with shiny new livery, but the problem was apparent a week ago too with the latter. The routes were A17 and U4 by the way. Also a problem with timetable info from the FK website a few hours ago; haven't tried since.

83G/84D

Established Member
One of the blue E400MMC’s had a faulty destination screen yesterday. Still quite a few mid life buses mainly Solos and Darts with side / rear screens inoperative.

Accelerator59

One of the blue E400MMC’s had a faulty destination screen yesterday. Still quite a few mid life buses mainly Solos and Darts with side / rear screens inoperative.

Speaking of destination screens and just out of curiosity. How come the destinations don’t scroll across anymore? I think it looks better than having them alternating.

Apparently 23314, 23319, 23320, 23321, & 23323 will be joining us once Wales are done with them, maybe for parts or further service?

iantherev

Apparently 23314, 23319, 23320, 23321, & 23323 will be joining us once Wales are done with them, maybe for parts or further service?
Wales are definitely done with them - they gave up trying to keep them on the road several months ago. Currently rotting at the old Llanelli depot with 23303 which is officially a FSW vehicle but has never left Wales and is now in bits. Serious money will be needed if they are to back on the road, I suspect.

richw

Veteran Member
Is this another ‘fill the sequence of missing vehicles’ suggestion?

It is another wibblefest.
Why would FSW want some knackered coaches when they’ve just sent some good working ones to Ensign for onward sale.

busKernow

HIG1524 is for Vamooz ....
http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/new...allows_people_to_choose_their_own_bus_routes/

Last edited: