• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There's one Mousehole solo been out everyday recently: I've no idea of its identity, but it displays a stuck-on route number on the windscreen.

The situation regarding the lack of suitable buses for the M6 is starting to attract the local press i.e. the 'Cornishman' local weekly paper. In today's edition, a joint letter from residents of Mousehole, Newlyn and the Alverton Estate has been printed under the headline 'What's going on with our bus services?'. apparently on 28th September there were no buses entering Mousehole over a period of two hours, on a theoretical half-hourly headway. They have asked for an answer from the head of First Kernow. I suggest anyone interested watch this space: this has been going on far too long, and needs taking to another level.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
There's one Mousehole solo been out everyday recently: I've no idea of its identity, but it displays a stuck-on route number on the windscreen.

The situation regarding the lack of suitable buses for the M6 is starting to attract the local press i.e. the 'Cornishman' local weekly paper. In today's edition, a joint letter from residents of Mousehole, Newlyn and the Alverton Estate has been printed under the headline 'What's going on with our bus services?'. apparently on 28th September there were no buses entering Mousehole over a period of two hours, on a theoretical half-hourly headway. They have asked for an answer from the head of First Kernow. I suggest anyone interested watch this space: this has been going on far too long, and needs taking to another level.

Half the problem is there is no new buses available on the market that fit into mousehole with a suitable capacity. Portloe being the same issue on the 51. It means aging vehicles are having to be limped and nursed on to maintain a service. Very few small original Solos come up for sale second hand. There isn’t a solution currently on the market!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Half the problem is there is no new buses available on the market that fit into mousehole with a suitable capacity. Portloe being the same issue on the 51. It means aging vehicles are having to be limped and nursed on to maintain a service. Very few small original Solos come up for sale second hand. There isn’t a solution currently on the market!
I don't see how that's true. There's the 7.9m Solo SR which is a mere 10 cm longer than the current Mousehole Solos and the same width and wheelbase. Considering 8.5m MB 811s have been used to Mousehole I'm sure the Solo SRs will fit.

busKernow

53709 has spent a while (at least 5-6 weeks) at Summercourt in the corner with a VOR sticker but it’s now gone.

53040 was on 22/50 duties today. First time I’ve seen that one for a while
53040 has been about still at Helston & Falmouth of late .

MB162435

Established Member
Marshall Dart 41490 still going strong with Kernow. Currently working out of Falmouth Depot, seen on the 17:40 69 service to Mylor Bridge today

richw

Veteran Member
Found a Kernow escapee in Portsmouth today

Attachments

• 0AF29D7D-91F6-4FEF-9710-75D591F78C9B.jpeg
    0AF29D7D-91F6-4FEF-9710-75D591F78C9B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Indeed it is an escapee, it was meant to come back to us along with 32757 after they were finished with rail replacement runs, but it looks as if they're staying there for the long haul now!

OWB243 suffered a leak yesterday so it won't be back in service for a few days.

@Goldfish62 It's the width that's the issue, not the length. Another thing is that they're sometimes short of buses because of breakdowns that are caused by age-related reasons, though they haven't got the time to take the old buses out of service for long-term maintenance either.

Warwick

I too saw that letter. I've noticed when I've been in my garden which overlooks Alverton Road that the occasional double-decker is on the M6. The driver of one which I took told me that they turn outside "The Coastguard" as they can't get into the village. Perhaps that's given rise to the no bus for hours. Incidentally, it was disappointing to see that the summer service wasn't it's usual 20" service but kept to the 30" interval.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

MB162435

Established Member
Dennis Dart 42876 on T1/T2 duties today, seen it on the 10:20 T2 service from Truro to St Ives

MB162435

Established Member
Green E400 MMC 33320 on Rail Replacement duties today between Truro and Penzance, with Tridents, Tinners and Truronian Coaches also appearing

Attachments

• IMG_20181013_192900.JPG
    IMG_20181013_192900.JPG
    545.3 KB · Views: 29

VRT fan

After a few months finally managed to catch a pic of this one. Plaxton President 33141 LR02 LWW at Padstow old railway station this morning.

IMG_20181015_111546~2.jpg

83G/84D

Established Member
Tinner E400MMC 33457 on service A17 this afternoon and Trident 33002 on service U4 at Penzance early afternoon. Trident 32762 is at Camborne awaiting branding for routes L1 / L2.

richw

Veteran Member
33142 laying over at Padstow this afternoon

Attachments

• 790CF354-FFAA-4CC7-8B77-EC3C131EEA66.jpeg
    790CF354-FFAA-4CC7-8B77-EC3C131EEA66.jpeg
    842.6 KB · Views: 37

83G/84D

Established Member
Uni E400MMC on a T1 service westbound at Camborne before 9am then about an hour later Trident 33155 on an eastbound T2.

Caught a lovely shot of two passing vehicles earlier, I believe PJ02PZY was on a Truro college run at the time.

Attachments

• WP_20181017_18_02_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20181017_18_02_48_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
MIG 3844 (KP51 WCY) has been seen in service at Penzance, glad to know it's finally out on the road again!

And out of nowhere after doing the Duchy college run today, TFO319 has now got a flat tire!

Any news on N528LHG?

Maybe they like to pick on the smaller companies (and franchises of bigger companies like First Group PLC), which normally results in a sanction or a license removal. In my opinion they should go deal with the bigger issues and let the smaller companies (and franchises) investigate the problems themselves. (Though saying that, DVLA won't know how true their statements will be, even if they are always true)

richw

Veteran Member
Why isn't DVSA, taking interest in all the bus fires, that there have been this year?

I googled the subject of bus fires, I’ve found articles relating to 50+ fires nationally in last 12 months of which over 20 were Tridents!

KendalKing

Established Member
I googled the subject of bus fires, I’ve found articles relating to 50+ fires nationally in last 12 months of which over 20 were Tridents!

That is alarming, to say the lest! Which average's to a bus being on fire every six-days.

So there is a serious problem somewhere, with there being so many bus fires nationally.

I bet you if there was a tiny independent company with only a few staff and about 6 or 7 buses and 2 routes, the quality would be beyond amazing, cause you wouldn't need to stress about dealing with so many buses and so many staff members all the time. Saying that, bigger companies = bigger communities and more profit etc, but what of the passengers' view?

Volvodart

Established Member
Why isn't DVSA, taking interest in all the bus fires, that there have been this year?

They do take an interest in bus fires. Stagecoach Highland was up before the Traffic Commissioners for a bus fire a while back because the coach should not have been on the road.

richw

Veteran Member
That is alarming, to say the lest! Which average's to a bus being on fire every six-days.

So there is a serious problem somewhere, with there being so many bus fires nationally.

It’s still a tiny proportion of buses that are on the road.
Cars, lorries, trains are all having fires too.
Fires are much more likely on extreme high mileage engines. These old Tridents have several million miles on them.