• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Doesn’t the A17 use double decks at least in the summer?
Yes I know it might not in the winter, but I’m not sure they’d buy new small buses for winter only usage.
I'd estimate there are more DDs than SDs on the A17 almost every day, summer or winter. I saw 2 DDs today, and I wasn't particularly looking!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd estimate there are more DDs than SDs on the A17 almost every day, summer or winter. I saw 2 DDs today, and I wasn't particularly looking!
I agree. It may be largely because that's all that's available, but unless it's going to be the very longest Solo SRs I'd be dubious as to whether they have sufficient capacity.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I agree. It may be largely because that's all that's available, but unless it's going to be the very longest Solo SRs I'd be dubious as to whether they have sufficient capacity.

Was it the 17 that received the 53 plate Darts when new? If, repeat if, Solos are due for the A17, I’d be very surprised if only as there are plenty of routes with e200mmc that are not as busy. 10.8m or 9.9m e200 would perhaps be more expected for that route.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Steve White Website reporting that 30873 acquired from Kernow by FWE has been withdrawn before entering service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Was it the 17 that received the 53 plate Darts when new? If, repeat if, Solos are due for the A17, I’d be very surprised if only as there are plenty of routes with e200mmc that are not as busy. 10.8m or 9.9m e200 would perhaps be more expected for that route.
Yes, I'd have expected 10.8m E200s.

jammy36

I am led to understand that the eight for the west will be to the longest length - so 10m buses, but to narrow Slimline width. I think Optare are the only manufacturer to offer longer length, but narrow vehicles.

MB162435

Established Member
There was a green E400 MMC on U1/U2 duties today, seen it on the 06:10 U1 service from Truro to Falmouth Moor. Didn't catch the number as I passed it at Playing Place while travailing on 33477 and it was still pretty dark

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Going back to the A17, there were two Uni MMCs on it this afternoon, passed each other in Market Jew Street: one was followed by an Atlantic Coaster d/d on the U4. Isn't route branding fantastic?!

Two other buses passing in Market Jew at the same time were Mousehole branded Solos, one being on the 16A though.

83G/84D

Established Member
Stupid route branding and stupid route renumbering, why can’t they stick with tried and tested?

Paint everything one colour like the NBC days, everything green and route numbers as they have been for years!

Rant over.

Kernow Dave

Stupid route branding and stupid route renumbering, why can’t they stick with tried and tested?

Paint everything one colour like the NBC days, everything green and route numbers as they have been for years!

Rant over.
Agreed, what is the purpose of route branding? Surely the route number is just that, virtually nationwide so called branded buses are appearing on the wrong route, advertising some may say. Ridiculous notion imo. Also rant over.

83G/84D

Established Member
Is there any evidence of route branding benefiting the bus company? Fancy paint schemes and branded publicity, does it increase patronage and make the outlay on paint etc worthwhile?

Surely at the end of the day the main thing is the cost of fares and realiability / convenience which decides whether you catch the bus or drive?

Has loadings on T1/ T2 increased significantly since the rebrand / route renumbering despite the subsequent fare increases? Be interesting to know.

Can’t imagine that anyone would be inclined to take the bus just because it has a new bus in a new paint scheme?!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is there any evidence of route branding benefiting the bus company? Fancy paint schemes and branded publicity, does it increase patronage and make the outlay on paint etc worthwhile?

Surely at the end of the day the main thing is the cost of fares and realiability / convenience which decides whether you catch the bus or drive?

Has loadings on T1/ T2 increased significantly since the rebrand / route renumbering despite the subsequent fare increases? Be interesting to know.

Can’t imagine that anyone would be inclined to take the bus just because it has a new bus in a new paint scheme?!
I'd think the Tinner routes might have been more noticed by those who didn't use them since the rebrand, but whether that translates to more use overall I doubt, especially as a 10 miute headway Truro to Camborne became 15 minutes. My wife, who occasionally uses the T1, preferred the single deckers that were on it before, not least because they provided many more seats without having to climb stairs: certainly offpeak the average passenger age would probably be around 60. As for the others - no.

83G/84D

Established Member
I'd think the Tinner routes might have been more noticed by those who didn't use them since the rebrand, but whether that translates to more use overall I doubt, especially as a 10 miute headway Truro to Camborne became 15 minutes. My wife, who occasionally uses the T1, preferred the single deckers that were on it before, not least because they provided many more seats without having to climb stairs: certainly offpeak the average passenger age would probably be around 60. As for the others - no.

I don’t use the bus that often other than for leisure travel. I find it slow and time consuming and expensive. A car or train journey from Truro to Camborne takes 20-30 minutes on average whilst the bus takes nearly double that.

Perhaps a limited stop service would be more appealing.

MB162435

Established Member
Dennis Trident 33031 on U1/U2 services today, seen on the 13:10 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro bus station

Marcus Fryer

You said you’ve got a feeling. A feeling is uncertain and definitely not a statement of fact!
There was one parked in Temple Way this afternoon displaying 'dawsongroup bus and coach limited' so I guess that answers that one.

Last edited:

Blackpudding

'First Kernow - behind the scenes' reports that Dennis Trident 33004 and 33151 are withdrawn. 33004 has a 'SORN' against it.

83G/84D

Established Member
In the comments on the pic of it on Kernow behind the scenes on Facebook a image of the Lizard Solo has been shared

Can you please provide a link for the First Kernow- behind the scenes Facebook page? I am not signed up but someone said you can still view. The previous link does not appear to work.

Blackpudding

Interesting that one of the posts there, from 12th November, says they have 14 more new buses coming. Anyone know what they will be and for what route(s)?

Dave

Dave. If you go to post 7383 that should cover it for you. There was also a piece in the December issue of 'Buses' which suggested they would be delivered in December.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Dave. If you go to post 7383 that should cover it for you. There was also a piece in the December issue of 'Buses' which suggested they would be delivered in December.
Confirmed that five 9.9m buses will be in Atlantic Coasters livery for the A17. The other three in Lizard livery.

The ones for the 20 etc will be 8.5m versions in Kernow green

68552 & 68555 have both been withdrawn at Summercourt, information sourced from the new Kernow behind the scenes page on Facebook.

I'm glad they've withdrawn them, but will they actually get rid of the horrid things is the big question?

MB162435

Established Member
'Poppy Trident' 33181 was on the 16:25 215 service from Truro College to Holmbush
Several Eden Project Citaro bendy buses were helping out on PR1 services due to the 'City of Lights' parade happening this evening

83G/84D

Established Member
First Kernow coaches 23315 and 23322 at St Austell for Rail replacement duties today although not being used whilst I was there.

83G/84D

Established Member
Volvo B7TL 30878 (L10 PCV) has received the green and orange training bus colours.

Attachments

• IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 19