• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

83G/84D

Established Member
An 08 registered E400 observed on the last U4 departure of the day from Penzance running about 10 minutes late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whiteway215

Established Member
Enquiry please. Did 34138 go for preservation? I seem to recall there was a comment on here to that effect. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

83G/84D

Established Member
Vamooz Trident 33176 was on a westbound A4 service in Hayle this afternoon. A5 Atlantic Coaster branded Trident 33175 is in Camborne this evening.

83G/84D

Established Member
Enquiry please. Did 34138 go for preservation? I seem to recall there was a comment on here to that effect. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

I seem to recall that was the case via Shears at Winkleigh possibly?

Someone on here will know.

83G/84D

Established Member
Caught out by bustimes site!

Last evening whilst watching the bustimes tracking site it showed Solo 53860 working to Truro on a T1 service then a short Truro to Camborne. Interesting I thought as I have not seen a Solo on the T1/T2 since it was renumbered in 2017.

Again tonight 53860 shows up as a green symbol on the website headed towards Truro then working the 1935 Truro - Camborne. I think I'll go and and get a photo of that due to it's rarity. Anyway wait around at my chosen spot near Camborne just in time to see Tinner E400MMC 33456 on a rail replacement service (due to a points failure at Truro I later find out). Two minutes later and E400MMC 33458 shows up bearing destination "T1 Camborne"!

Obviously something has happened to make it seem like a Solo was working the service when it clearly wasn't. On the way back recheck bustimes webiste on my phone and on the T1 service page the symbol for the bus is still green but the bus number has changed to 33458.

Anyway no harm done but a lesson learnt that not everything on bustimes is accurate.

I certainly won't post any movements on here solely based on what that website says.

Last edited:

borage

Obviously something has happened to make it seem like a Solo was working the service when it clearly wasn't.

Presumably the ticket machine in 33458 thinks it's in 53860, and any tickets issued will have the wrong vehicle number on them.

CD

Caught out by bustimes site!

Last evening whilst watching the bustimes tracking site it showed Solo 53860 working to Truro on a T1 service then a short Truro to Camborne. Interesting I thought as I have not seen a Solo on the T1/T2 since it was renumbered in late 2016.

Again tonight 53860 shows up as a green symbol on the website headed towards Truro then working the 1935 Truro - Camborne. I think I'll go and and get a photo of that due to it's rarity. Anyway wait around at my chosen spot near Camborne just in time to see Tinner E400MMC 33456 on a rail replacement service (due to a points failure at Truro I later find out). Two minutes later and E400MMC 33458 shows up bearing destination "T1 Camborne"!

Obviously something has happened to make it seem like a Solo was working the service when it clearly wasn't. On the way back recheck bustimes webiste on my phone and on the T1 service page the symbol for the bus is still green but the bus number has changed to 33458.

Anyway no harm done but a lesson learnt that not everything on bustimes is accurate.

I certainly won't post any movements on here solely based on what that website says.
I look at First West of England on bus times.org regularly and there are always some errors. Such as the same vehicle working all day on two different routes at the same time . Its a very useful tool but cannot take it as gospel.

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 42560 is working a car park shuttle at the now fully opened Park & Ride at St Erth railway station. All scheduled local bus services are using the temporary stops on the main road rather than the one outside the station.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Dart 42560 is working a car park shuttle at the now fully opened Park & Ride at St Erth railway station. All scheduled local bus services are using the temporary stops on the main road rather than the one outside the station.
When I saw it yesterday afternoon on my way to and from St Erth Recycling Centre (aka the tip) it made a return journey from the car park, totally empty both ways. Number of cars in the new car park was 15 to 20 on my estimate.

richw

Veteran Member
Same thing showing up on bustimes website for service T1 again today.

As above bustimes takes the fleet numbers from the ticket machine. A machine swap produces the wrong number. There was a trident running round with fleet number SMSpare.... presumably Summercourt’s spare machine!

MB162435

Established Member
Finally got round to picking up the new Kernow Summer timetable from Truro bus station today, and saw that they have cut the PR1 timetable from the guide

Either they are saving on paper and ink, (the guide is much smaller and thinner) or are they are waiting for the extended P&R operating hours to be given the go ahead before publishing the P&R timetable?

MB162435

Established Member
E400 MMC 33303 on the 05:55 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro, with its 'next stop' announcement working!

Uni MMC 33473 is on the 06:23 87 service from Goonhavern to Truro

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
When I saw it yesterday afternoon on my way to and from St Erth Recycling Centre (aka the tip) it made a return journey from the car park, totally empty both ways. Number of cars in the new car park was 15 to 20 on my estimate.

Yes it was just carrying fresh air when I saw it.

Solo 53709 on the 0555 A17 Penzance to St Ives and return this morning.

Solo 53801 on the 0640 U4 Perran Crossroads to Penzance.

83G/84D

Established Member
Eden depot are tweeting that due to an earlier breakdown an artic has been sent out as cover on a Truro college service.

richw

Veteran Member
Eden depot are tweeting that due to an earlier breakdown an artic has been sent out as cover on a Truro college service.
There was a bendy in Truro depot when I collected a coach earlier. Didn’t think anything of it at the time, but a few college vehicles stable in Truro all day.

83G/84D

Established Member
There was a bendy in Truro depot when I collected a coach earlier. Didn’t think anything of it at the time, but a few college vehicles stable in Truro all day.

I have seen artics on Truro college services from time to time over the years and they go back to Truro for maintenance. I have seen them on the way between St Austell & Truro a few times.

83G/84D

Established Member
E400 MMC 33303 on the 05:55 U1 service from Falmouth Moor to Truro, with its 'next stop' announcement working!

Uni MMC 33473 is on the 06:23 87 service from Goonhavern to Truro

Last time I travelled on a E200MMC it had the next stop screen working but no announcements. I would have thought the E200MMC's & E400MMC's would have had both fitted from new.

Some of the older Southern Vectis E400's have both, although I suspect the equipment was retrofitted

richw

Veteran Member
I would have thought the E200MMC's & E400MMC's would have had both fitted from new.

I haven’t heard them on the E400mmcs yet, and heard it on about half the E200mmcs. The new Optares have it too. I understood it was set up on a limited number of buses and routes initially for testing. There’s a date that new buses have to have it by for accessibility requirements. As much as it’s a little annoying having the announcements constantly, it’ll be fantastic once it’s rolled out, always get passengers saying can you let me know when we get to X, Y, Z, especially on touristy routes. Ive got so much else to remember I can sometimes forget.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I haven’t heard them on the E400mmcs yet, and heard it on about half the E200mmcs. The new Optares have it too. I understood it was set up on a limited number of buses and routes initially for testing. There’s a date that new buses have to have it by for accessibility requirements. As much as it’s a little annoying having the announcements constantly, it’ll be fantastic once it’s rolled out, always get passengers saying can you let me know when we get to X, Y, Z, especially on touristy routes. Ive got so much else to remember I can sometimes forget.
People will get used to them like they did in London. The key to reducing annoyance factor is making the announcements as brief as possible, containing only the essential information.

MB162435

Established Member
People will get used to them like they did in London. The key to reducing annoyance factor is making the announcements as brief as possible, containing only the essential information.
Luckily on 33303, the announcements were only 'the next stop is' and 'we are now approaching' when we got to the stop, in English only

Unlike the P&R Citaros where it's in Cornish and English, I am a proud Cornish man but it does go on a bit!

MB162435

Established Member
I didn't know the E400s had them working yet either, I knew it was in the pipeline but didn't know when, until we were approaching Penryn Campus and it said 'we are now approaching Penryn Campus'

Was surprised 33303 had the next stop information programed into it for the U1/U2 routes, giving that its not the bus's usual route

richw

Veteran Member
Was surprised 33303 had the next stop information programed into it for the U1/U2 routes, giving that its not the bus's usual route

I’m guessing the usb has it programmed and any bus that has the usb put into the blind for updating will receive the talking file.

83G/84D

Established Member
Dart 42874 out on service 47 first thing this morning.

Solo 53040 has had a makeover. See First Kernow behind the scenes Facebook page or see it for yourself at the Royal Cornwall show near Wadebridge!

MarkC

Any thoughts on whom will buy First Kernow ops when they look to sell their uk bus ops?