• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
What’s going now is replaced by the first 20 returning MMCs.
The balance will replace whatever we deem we most want gone. Any remaining duplicates are balanced by Uni returning.
We haven’t fixed what goes next not least because we’re waiting on tender results and managing failures

So to summarise, there's a clear out now and a few others will also go depending on condition. FK are keeping the some of the hired fleet from BASE and a few ex Bristol ones. This is to supplement the fleet until the next set of cascades come through, covering any failures that are beyond economic repair; much as was done with the Ensign hires a few years back when the MMCs were due. That cover it?

Then there is the potential for additional tender wins. Be interested to know where they are but obviously appreciate that is commercially sensitive.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The sale of Penzance Dry Dock (and therefore its continuation as a going concern) will mean the occasional closure of Ross Bridge at high tide while ships manoeuvre in and out of it, thus impacting Land's End Coaster services. At least closure times should be known and advertised several hours before they occur.
On a more general theme, I've been asked by someone local just too young for a free bus pass if it's true that the fare for a complete round trip (with breaks) on a Land's End Coaster would cost them £15, travelling as a single adult. I told them I'd look into it, but I can see nothing to indicate they could find a cheaper fare: am I wrong? I do hope so, cos they won't pay that.

So to summarise, there's a clear out now and a few others will also go depending on condition. FK are keeping the some of the hired fleet from BASE and a few ex Bristol ones. This is to supplement the fleet until the next set of cascades come through, covering any failures that are beyond economic repair; much as was done with the Ensign hires a few years back when the MMCs were due. That cover it?

Then there is the potential for additional tender wins. Be interested to know where they are but obviously appreciate that is commercially sensitive.
On the Buses said the West of England ALXs with the red at the front of them are staying until September. And he also looks to be saying that 20 MMCs will be back first.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Buses

On the Buses said the WoE ALXs with the red at the front of them are staying until September. And he also looks to be saying that 20 MMCs will be back soon and the other 10 will return at a later date.

Personally next month I think all the remaining Tinners and Uni examples will return and a couple of the green ones too as just as I said On the Buses said 20 of them will be back to begin with.
That is not what I said

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I do apologise, my autism sometimes makes it difficult for me to fully understand the context of things so occasionally I need people to fully explain what they mean so I can understand things better.
Don't worry - it's why I was trying to summarise. I'm no expert on ASD. Depending on the individual circumstances of autism etc, it can mean that folks can miss some subtle nuances of information, or can make assumptions that aren't quite right. @On the Buses does try to keep folks informed but does have a fair bit on their plate to sort out.

IIRC, the red ALXs are here at least until September but seems that there are unknowns such as tender wins etc to consider, and if any of the vehicles that are due to be replaced have a major unit failure. Therefore, they might last longer.

As it is, they have been lucky as they were rendered spare in early 2020 and might have been expected to head for disposal. They then gained red fronts to act as University dupes in Bristol and are still providing sterling service in Cornwall though they are now quite mature.

On the Buses

Don't worry - it's why I was trying to summarise. I'm no expert on ASD. Depending on the individual circumstances of autism etc, it can mean that folks can miss some subtle nuances of information, or can make assumptions that aren't quite right. @On the Buses does try to keep folks informed but does have a fair bit on their plate to sort out.

IIRC, the red ALXs are here at least until September but seems that there are unknowns such as tender wins etc to consider, and if any of the vehicles that are due to be replaced have a major unit failure. Therefore, they might last longer.

As it is, they have been lucky as they were rendered spare in early 2020 and might have been expected to head for disposal. They then gained red fronts to act as University dupes in Bristol and are still providing sterling service in Cornwall though they are now quite mature.
I clearly didn’t explain clearly!

1. The 30 MMC return in August to replace the 20 ALXs in total disposed to Ensign and up to 10 additional vehicles that we haven’t settled on yet.

2. The 4 red fronted ALXs are WoEs and are currently required back with them for Uni start.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I clearly didn’t explain clearly!

1. The 30 MMC return in August to replace the 20 ALXs in total disposed to Ensign and up to 10 additional vehicles that we haven’t settled on yet.

2. The 4 red fronted ALXs are WoEs and are currently required back with them for Uni start.
Clearly not :lol: Thank you for clarifying that - it is appreciated

Bill Badger

I've been asked by someone local just too young for a free bus pass if it's true that the fare for a complete round trip (with breaks) on a Land's End Coaster would cost them £15, travelling as a single adult. I told them I'd look into it, but I can see nothing to indicate they could find a cheaper fare: am I wrong? I do hope so, cos they won't pay that.
A single First Cornwall Day Ticket is £13, if bought via their App.

If your friend travels on buses in Cornwall even semi-regularly then they can buy a pack of 5 Day Tickets for £30, valid for a year, so that works out at £6 per day.

Lizard1324

It has been said before that the Eden project is getting new Mercedes buses.

Does anyone know are these diesel or electric and are they bendy?

Would they be like the Truro Park and ride vehicles?

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
It has been said before about Eden project is getting new Mercedes buses.

Does anyone know are these diesel or electric and are they bendy.

Would they be like the Truro Park and ride vehicles?
Diesel, not bendy, double doors has been mentioned. So like Truro park and ride with extra set of doors

richw

Veteran Member
Was mentioned here a few times but a while ago now.

Thanks for the info, shame they aren't the new looking citaro like the Ecitaro, but new buses are a good thing.
It was mentioned but not sure who by to make it official news or inaccurate gossip now

vla50

Are 32179/726/727/800 & 33036/085 doing ok? Haven't been in service for a while so was wondering if they are doing ok.

Ancelljb

Are 32179/726/727/800 & 33036/085 doing ok? Haven't been in service for a while so was wondering if they are doing ok.
32179 has only been out for the past 5 days so expect just some routine maintenance.

32726 and 32727 have been out of service to have their on-board 'tour commentary' systems installed as quoted by Marc Huws on Twitter (https://twitter.com/MarcMorganHuws/status/1408833358818316292).

The two Exeter buses (2 for 1 PVR) are off for a few days having their commentary systems fitted.

33036 has not yet entered service, but is with First South West and I expect is in the queue for service prep (as quoted from post #15,435 by @83G/84D)

Trident (33036) LK51 UYE in base Lizard Coaster colours seen in Camborne today.

33085 suffered a fault the day it entered service so possibly in the queue to be repaired.

There has been no mention of 32800 on here so presumably not working at the moment.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A single First Cornwall Day Ticket is £13, if bought via their App.

If your friend travels on buses in Cornwall even semi-regularly then they can buy a pack of 5 Day Tickets for £30, valid for a year, so that works out at £6 per day.
Thanks for that: knew about app (still too expensive) but not about Day Ticket packs - can they be bought from the driver?

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for that: knew about app (still too expensive) but not about Day Ticket packs - can they be bought from the driver?
They’re only available on the app.
you can buy a bundle of 5 for £30 or 20 for £100. Activate one before boarding the first bus on day of use. Very much like a rail Carnet ticket