• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member
I think there was a new type of exhaust that needed fitting to the LK59 open tops and also CCTV, done by an external contractor as well, which was being difficult about a month ago, when they started to enter service
They arrived with the emission system that requires canisters. Believe they’re to receive conventional adblue conversions

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They arrived with the emission system that requires canisters. Believe they’re to receive conventional adblue conversions
Oh right, that makes sense. It was a while since I was told what it was exactly so thanks for clearing it up.

83G/84D

Established Member
B9TL Geminis WX58JYF, WX57HKP, WX58JYN arrived in Cornwall yesterday from Fareham.

Thanks for the information, fleet numbers are 37620, 37334 and 37626.

Update:- 37626 seen at Camborne on Friday morning.

Last edited:

buscoaster

Interesting to see that the S1 and S2 now currently both have 1 open top on each - good to see issues seem to have been sorted at last. Typically, there seems to be a real shortage of open tops now, with a closed top on Lands Ends, closed tops on both Tin Coaster workings, closed top on the L5 and a closed top on each of the other S1/S2 workings. What a shame!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Trident replacements possibly or additional school work?
Maybe extra schools work, but @OntheBuses said a while back that there would be a gradual influx of B9s to replace the Tridents and start replacing the B7s, some of which are getting on a bit.

Whiteway215

Established Member
37633 and 37638 are surplus at Bath so perhaps heading to Kernow?

With all the October cuts being announced by West of England and no doubt other companies the ‘gradual influx’ of B9s might become a torrent.

vla50

37633 and 37638 are surplus at Bath so perhaps heading to Kernow?

With all the October cuts being announced by West of England and no doubt other companies the ‘gradual influx’ of B9s might become a torrent.
Casual speculation on my part but with the cuts in Bath and a few weeks back the comment on potential cuts in Greater Manchester I reckon some E400s could head to Somerset.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Casual speculation on my part but with the cuts in Bath and a few weeks back the comment on potential cuts in Greater Manchester I reckon some E400s could head to Somerset.
As the remaining e400s in Bath and Wells are newer (2012 vintage), I'd be more inclined to think that it would be more likely that 2007/8 B9s would move to Somerset; that would be more in line with the age profile, impact on balance sheet etc

83G/84D

Established Member
Two Tinner branded E400MMC's (33463 and 33468) are VOR at Camborne with upper deck rear windows smashed!

83G/84D

Established Member
E400MMC 33455 stopped at St Erth roundabout about 20 minutes ago with hazard warning lights on, whilst working a St Ives bound T2 service.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset is planned to be entirely Enviro 200/300/400 and some Solos.
In some respects, that would be quite the upgrade replacing 54/55 plate B7s with 12 plate e400s (were they to come from Bath). It might also mean the 28 continuing with the current fleet unless they draft in some newer e300s from somewhere like Oldham

richw

Veteran Member
In some respects, that would be quite the upgrade replacing 54/55 plate B7s with 12 plate e400s (were they to come from Bath). It might also mean the 28 continuing with the current fleet unless they draft in some newer e300s from somewhere like Oldham
Why would they be 12 plate e400s?

TechDan2002

Trident replacements possibly or additional school work?
Seems to be a general policy emerging across First Bus of phasing out Euro III vehicles now. ‘On the Buses’ previously stated in post #18,163 that the Tridents then the earlier Mk1 B7TLs are to be gradually replaced by incoming B9’s.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Seems to be a general policy emerging across First Bus of phasing out Euro III vehicles now. ‘On the Buses’ previously stated in post #18,163 that the Tridents then the earlier Mk1 B7TLs are to be gradually replaced by incoming B9’s.
Not seems - it is policy!

As well as service cuts, they have been buying e200s from Ensign, with the aim that the last Darts can be withdrawn from the group. It would be no surprise if Tridents and Darts (and Solars/Omnicities/Omnidekkas) are extinct in First by the end of the year (with the odd exception for open toppers).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Hardly surprising given the newest Euro III buses are around 18 years old, ie life expired, plus are relative gas guzzling polluters.

Not seems - it is policy!

As well as service cuts, they have been buying e200s from Ensign, with the aim that the last Darts can be withdrawn from the group. It would be no surprise if Tridents and Darts (and Solars/Omnicities/Omnidekkas) are extinct in First by the end of the year (with the odd exception for open toppers).
And being ex London they'll be Euro VI retrofits (unless originally withdrawn so long ago that they didn't make it into the retrofit programme).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hardly surprising given the newest Euro III buses are around 18 years old, ie life expired, plus are relative gas guzzling polluters.

And being ex London they'll be Euro VI retrofits (unless originally withdrawn so long ago that they didn't make it into the retrofit programme).
Indeed, most are ex London though Essex got some ex Halton ones that must’ve been sat idle for 2 years

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Add 33454 and 33452 to the list with the same issues. All are at Camborne waiting attention.
Given this is generally a fairly rare occurrence is it known how and where it is happening, as it seems beyond coincidence for so many?

83G/84D

Established Member
Given this is generally a fairly rare occurrence is it known how and where it is happening, as it seems beyond coincidence for so many?

I am trying to find out, the situation is rather curious.

Vandalism overnight recently at Camborne according to what I have been told. Reports of people accessing the buses and damaging them, there are other buses affected apparently.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I am trying to find out, the situation is rather curious.

Vandalism overnight recently at Camborne according to what I have been told. Reports of people accessing the buses and damaging them, there are other buses affected apparently.
I imagined that was the reason, as a spate of missiles through windows while buses were in service would have rightly got media attention.

Andyh82

Established Member
Whenever I’ve visited Camborne I’ve always thought how unsecured the depot looks, particularly when they park the Tinner buses up in the evening in the front bus station part rather than the main depot part

They wouldn’t get away with that in an urban area but I assumed with Cornwall stereotypically being sleepy with less crime, that’s why it’s always been ok

Marc Huws has now teased that 4 E400s are being converted to open top to allow the full Watchet to Ilfracombe route to become open top for next season. This will most likely be the 4 59 plates which were confirmed to become open top a few weeks back.

This will make you wonder what the future plans are for the two open back E200s currently on the Sunseeker between Lynmouth and Ilfracombe.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Whenever I’ve visited Camborne I’ve always thought how unsecured the depot looks, particularly when they park the Tinner buses up in the evening in the front bus station part rather than the main depot part

They wouldn’t get away with that in an urban area but I assumed with Cornwall stereotypically being sleepy with less crime, that’s why it’s always been ok
Western Greyhound used to think that until they suddenly didn't any longer!

Fin_22

Marc Huws has now teased that 4 E400s are being converted to open top to allow the full Watchet to Ilfracombe to become open top for next season. This will most likely be the 4 59 plates which were confirmed to become open top a few weeks back.

This will make you wonder what the future plans are for the two open back E200s currently on the Sunseeker between Lynmouth and Ilfracombe.
He said there are plans for the 200s that are private for now. There is lots of options, we'll have to wait and see