• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

richw

Veteran Member

I understand Transport for Cornwall have picked up 3 of these school contracts at Helston. Does anyone know who has the other 7 and which schools are affected?
CaL110. This isn’t being replaced but merged with cal111, as they are effective a duplicate of each other and a double decker has been successfully route tested. Previously both routes were coaches with a total of around 65 students

CAL117- stagecoach to take over

Bra020

Mul108
Mul109
Mul105

Pny005

Hel005
Hel007

Lau003 stagecoach to take over

I’m led to believe go ahead may have the MUL and HEL routes.
it sees Firsts helston outstation peak vehicle requirement drop by 5 vehicles Leaving just the 2 Truro college workings And u4 workings.

Not sure what schools but I believe Stagecoach have picked up several in Eastern Cornwall to be run from Plymouth
Stagecoach will now have 2 Launceston, 1 looe, and 4 callington school services.

Stagecoach plaxton elite 53707 which arrived from Scotland has now commenced a daily contract from Plymouth to 2 sisters factory in willand.
Also it is used on a 0530 rail replacement every morning from Plymouth to I believe exeter

Interesting to see the different strategies, First seem to retracting with stagecoach going for growth through contract work under their new ownership. Traditionally stagecoach stayed away from contract work.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
it sees helsotn outstation peak vehicle requirement drop by 5 vehicles Leaving just the 2 Truro college workings And u4 workings.
Sorry for going off-thread into GCB but I imagine HN would also have the 34 (Helston - The Lizard) and at least some of the workings on the 36.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
Sorry for going off-thread into GCB but I imagine HN would also have the 34 (Helston - The Lizard) and at least some of the workings on the 36.

Dave
I was referring to Firsts PVR being heavily reduced. I imagine GCBs has increased with them taking the extra schools

Peter Philips

Dave
Off-topic as you say but when I last rode GCB 36 a couple of summers ago it was operated by distant Scorrier base running dead to/from Truro.

CaL110. This isn’t being replaced but merged with cal111, as they are effective a duplicate of each other and a double decker has been successfully route tested. Previously both routes were coaches with a total of around 65 students

CAL117- stagecoach to take over

Bra020

Mul108
Mul109
Mul105

Pny005

Hel005
Hel007

Lau003 stagecoach to take over

it sees Firsts helston outstation peak vehicle requirement drop by 5 vehicles Leaving just the 2 Truro college workings And u4 workings.

Stagecoach will now have 2 Launceston, 1 looe, and 4 callington school services.

Stagecoach plaxton elite 53707 which arrived from Scotland has now commenced a daily contract from Plymouth to 2 sisters factory in willand.
Also it is used on a 0530 rail replacement every morning from Plymouth to I believe exeter

Interesting to see the different strategies, First seem to retracting with stagecoach going for growth through contract work under their new ownership. Traditionally stagecoach stayed away from contract work.
Current HEL school contracts are 004, 005 & 006. Not HEL007 so some clarification required here if anyone knows please. Also MUL106 and MUL110 remain according to my reckoning so that’s plus 2 pvr at Helton outstation remaining in addition to U4 and the two Truro College buses.

richw

Veteran Member
Current HEL school contracts are 004, 005 & 006. Not HEL007 so some clarification required here if anyone knows please. Also MUL106 and MUL110 remain according to my reckoning so that’s plus 2 pvr at Helton outstation remaining in addition to U4 and the two Truro College buses.
Typo, thanks. It was 006. I’ve since learnt 005 was run dead from Penzance and 006 was from Camborne so neither impact Helston anyway

Sleepy

Established Member
Given Easter is early this year any news of when the Lands End open top via Zennor starts running this year ?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Given Easter is early this year any news of when the Lands End open top via Zennor starts running this year ?
Usually the Spring seasonal enhancements have been introduced the weekend before Easter. However, OTS have registered timetable ammendments commencing on 2nd April, ie the week after Easter, which would indicate any service changes will take place on Easter Sunday itself.

We should be seeing the registrations any day now if anything is going to happen at Easter.

richw

Veteran Member
Usually the Spring seasonal enhancements have been introduced the weekend before Easter. However, OTS have registered timetable ammendments commencing on 2nd April, ie the week after Easter, which would indicate any service changes will take place on Easter Sunday itself.

We should be seeing the registrations any day now if anything is going to happen at Easter.
Schools aren’t breaking up until the day before Good Friday down here this year

OptareOlympus

Word in Dorset is that Wessex are expecting half top B9s from Cornwall to replace the former Lands End Presidents that, apart from one, have now been withdrawn. If correct, that would imply Cornwall will have a much smaller open top uplift this year.

Has the staffing shortage improved at Kernow, as ultimately that will determine what, when or even if which seasonal services run this year.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Schools aren’t breaking up until the day before Good Friday down here this year
Thanks. That would imply, if replicated elsewhere, that there wont be many visitors expected to Cornwall for Easter.

Word in Dorset is that Wessex are expecting half top B9s from Cornwall to replace the former Lands End Presidents that, apart from one, have now been withdrawn. If correct, that would imply Cornwall will have a much smaller open top uplift this year.
FSW's latest accounts for year ending March 2023 have just been published and show a pre-tax loss £4.5m loss and in terms of being expressed as percentage of turnover (15%) the largest loss any of OpCo. That with coupled with Summer 2023 apparently being down on visitor numbers I'd say that the company is not in a healthy position and we'll see big cuts to services this year.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks. That would imply, if replicated elsewhere, that there wont be many visitors expected to Cornwall for Easter.

FSW's latest accounts for year ending March 2023 have just been published and show a pre-tax loss £4.5m loss and in terms of being expressed as percentage of turnover (15%) the largest loss any of OpCo. That with coupled with Summer 2023 apparently being down on visitor numbers I'd say that the company is not in a healthy position and we'll see big cuts to services this year.
Those are humbling accounts. Nothing from Somerset Passenger Solutions to offset things either. In fact, I'd be very concerned about anything in Somerset...

Suspect that mention of B9s to Weymouth is the Sunseeker fleet heading over so that the open top services in Cornwall will be the Lands End and Atlantic services at best.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Those are humbling accounts. Nothing from Somerset Passenger Solutions to offset things either. In fact, I'd be very concerned about anything in Somerset...

Suspect that mention of B9s to Weymouth is the Sunseeker fleet heading over so that the open top services in Cornwall will be the Lands End and Atlantic services at best.
Yes, the whole thing is grim. And from what I'm hearing the whole attitude seems to be that the answer is to cut the company out of trouble, which usually results in a spiral of decline.

Regarding open toppers, apart from the 9 Lands End B9TLs there are also 3 yellow ones, plus the Southsea Coaster which has turned up, and 6 E400s, total 19.

I don't know how many Weymouth needs, but the Land's End and Atlantic Coasters on prevailing summer service levels have a combined PVR of 11. Therefore, assuming 1 spare for each route, if more than 6 B9TLs move that potentially indicates service cuts on one or both routes.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

When did the top management changes at FSW happen? It'd be interesting to know the split or losses between Cornwall and Somerset, the latter of which would seem to be in a spiral of decline that doesn't bode well for the future.

P.S. Since posting, I see that I was beaten to the words about a spiral of decline by Goldfish 62. Great minds think alike, won't continue the aphorism.... ;)

Goldfish62

Established Member
When did the top management changes at FSW happen? It'd be interesting to know the split or losses between Cornwall and Somerset, the latter of which would seem to be in a spiral of decline that doesn't bode well for the future.

P.S. Since posting, I see that I was beaten to the words about a spiral of decline by Goldfish 62. Great minds think alike, won't continue the aphorism.... ;)
Alex Carter, the former MD, left in 2021, with Simon Goff taking over, initially in an acting role. Then Marc Huws (Commercial Director) left early last year, around the same time that FSW came under common management with Hants, Dorset and Berkshire, under the First South guise. The new Commercial Director, from outside public transport, was appointed soon afterwards.

Quite apart from losing its entire contracted network in Cornwall in early 2020 FSW has experienced the same enormous pressures over recent years as the rest of the industry; first Covid, then driver shortages and rampant industry inflation running at in excess of 20%, plus a post-Covid long term reduction in passenger numbers, particularly the elderly. Then there was the need to redress the long-term decline in real-terms staff wage levels. Many of the larger operators have got through all this and stabilised their businesses without savage cutting, but it looks like FSW simply isn't resilient enough. Some of the brave but doomed commercial initiatives I guess have cost the business dearly. You can't run a bus around all day with with a handful of passengers at a time and make money! It also most certainly doesn't help that the business has now lost a local management focus.

Andyh82

Established Member
Those accounts show that revenue was actually £5m higher compared to the previous year but government funding went down £7m resulting in a lower figure of about £2m

Costs then went up £2m mostly caused by staff wages, depreciation and ‘other charges’

Of course these accounts are almost a year old and don’t reflect what happened last summer.

The narrative is that everything is going downhill now due to management leaving and new distant management coming in, but if the numbers didn’t stack up in Summer 2022, which had all the nice to haves like The Lizard, Dartmoor Explorer, Exeter Tour etc and the ‘good management’ in place, the harsh truth is that they certainly wouldn’t stack up in Summer 2024

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
The April timetable change that is currently in consultation with the council has significant cut to the peak vehicle requirement. Some by more efficient interworking, some by cuts.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The April timetable change that is currently in consultation with the council has significant cut to the peak vehicle requirement. Some by more efficient interworking, some by cuts.
Thanks. Do you know what date these will be introduced? If early April the changes need to be registered around now.

Those accounts show that revenue was actually £5m higher compared to the previous year but government funding went down £7m resulting in a lower figure of about £2m

Costs then went up £2m mostly caused by staff wages, depreciation and ‘other charges’

Of course these accounts are almost a year old and don’t reflect what happened last summer.

The narrative is that everything is going downhill now due to management leaving and new distant management coming in, but if the numbers didn’t stack up in Summer 2022, which had all the nice to haves like The Lizard, Dartmoor Explorer, Exeter Tour etc and the ‘good management’ in place, the harsh truth is that they certainly wouldn’t stack up in Summer 2024
You would expect 2022 revenue to be higher than 2021 with coming out of Covid and staycations still being in fashion. That's reflected across the board by most operators so it's no great shakes.

Most FirstBus OpCos have made a profit, even Cymru! Essex made a £4.7m loss but on a much higher turnover.

Last Summer there was reportedly a decline in visitors as people got bored of staycations so I would expect the position in 2023/24 to be even worse. This is likely to have contributed to the sudden curtailing of most of the ABB network.

On another point, remote management is never a good thing and neither is the total lack of industry experience among primary decision makers. It was the complete opposite approach that stabilised and turned around FSW almost a decade ago. It's a shame it all went a bit OTT in the end with unrealistic expectations.

In respect of the initiatives you mention, the "guaranteed connections" on the Lizard were anything but, the Dartmouth Explorer was poorly operated and the least said about Discover Exeter the better.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Given that inter-peak frequencies on most routes are much the same as peak, other than school and college variations, that means significant cuts there too. Will the 17 continue at every 45 minutes for the summer? Can't see that going down well. Will T1 out of Penzance and T2 out of St Ives go to hourly? I'd not be surprised if the Mousehole went back to 3bph, all via Market Jew Street, given bus availability if nothing else. Presumably Newquay to Falmouth cuts too.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks. Do you know what date these will be introduced? If early April the changes need to be registered around now.
I don’t.
But it’s only 28 days to TC, plus 42 days prior to that with consultation at the council.

Some key points that have beenMentioned include:

interworking of Tinners and the 91/27,

24 being split in to two routes, with st Austell to mevagissey as one and st Austell to fowey as a seperate route.
St Austell to fowey no longer servicing tywardreath which is a key point in the council consultations from what I can gather as they won’t want the village cut off

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don’t.
But it’s only 28 days to TC, plus 42 days prior to that with consultation at the council.

Some key points that have beenMentioned include:

interworking of Tinners and the 91/27,

24 being split in to two routes, with st Austell to mevagissey as one and st Austell to fowey as a seperate route.
St Austell to fowey no longer servicing tywardreath which is a key point in the council consultations from what I can gather as they won’t want the village cut off
Thanks for the detail.

Timescales are the other round.
28 days pre-notification to the council.
42 days notice to the TC.

Given that inter-peak frequencies on most routes are much the same as peak, other than school and college variations, that means significant cuts there too. Will the 17 continue at every 45 minutes for the summer? Can't see that going down well. Will T1 out of Penzance and T2 out of St Ives go to hourly? I'd not be surprised if the Mousehole went back to 3bph, all via Market Jew Street, given bus availability if nothing else. Presumably Newquay to Falmouth cuts too.
I can quite imagine two out of those three.

Re Mousehole the only reason it went to 4bph was due to the lower capacity of the Sprinters. Not that the timetable works in the summer.

3bph wouldn't save any buses or duties, but would run more reliably. However, would there be sufficient capacity?

Andyh82

Established Member
I’ve noticed quite a lot of this thread seems to be people suggesting cuts and then people discussing them and complaining about them , almost as if there needs to be ‘filler negativity’ between actual news. Seems to fluctuate one week Somerset, the next week Cornwall.

Maybe it’s probably best waiting until the summer timetables are actually announced when people will know if there is actually something to complain about

DaveHarries

Established Member
I'd say that the company is not in a healthy position and we'll see big cuts to services this year.
And you may both be right. At the SCC Bus Advisory Board meeting, as the operators were going through planned changes it came up that the 25 (Taunton - Dulverton) will be reduced in frequency to one every 3 hours and will no longer serve Cotford St. Luke at off-peak times (with some 28s rerouted in lieu) and also it was mentioned that plans are afoot to withdraw the 54 (Taunton - Yeovil) and 58 (Wincanton - Yeovil). Those prompted a request for an emergency meeting between SCC's B.A.B and Buses of Somerset of which I have heard nothing of the outcome. Also the 77 (Wells - Yeovil) route will now be operated from Wells. It would seem that Yeovil won't have much work if the 54 & 58 are lost and I wonder how long BoS will maintain a presence in Yeovil at all because that will leave the 51 and the CR4 for which I can't imagine the combined PVR to be very high. I would think that if BoS do drop the 54 & 58 then SWC (South West Coaches) could take advantage of that.

Also at the B.A.B meeting the only other changes were from SWC who said that Service 1 had been deregistered due to retendering while Stagecoach SW said they would be starting a Service 24 (Tiverton to Taunton Silk Mills P&R) which would be positioning journeys for the Taunton P&R contract.

Some very positive changes for Wells, Bridgwater and Taunton though from First WoE.

Dave

Goldfish62

Established Member
I’ve noticed quite a lot of this thread seems to be people suggesting cuts and then people discussing them and complaining about them , almost as if there needs to be ‘filler negativity’ between actual news. Seems to fluctuate one week Somerset, the next week Cornwall.

Maybe it’s probably best waiting until the summer timetables are actually announced when people will know if there is actually something to complain about
On that basis maybe people in Somerset should just sit back and wait for the cuts that First have proposed to be implemented and then complain when it's too late rather than lobby the council and the operator as they're doing now.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
On that basis maybe people in Somerset should just sit back and wait for the cuts that First have proposed to be implemented and then complain when it's too late rather than lobby the council and the operator as they're doing now.
I think the difference that @Andyh82 is pointing out is that the 54/58 proposals are out there in the public domain. Remember that First had already said that the services were untenable six months ago. In respect of Cornwall, there's speculation on these boards but not much firm information.

On another point, remote management is never a good thing and neither is the total lack of industry experience among primary decision makers. It was the complete opposite approach that stabilised and turned around FSW almost a decade ago. It's a shame it all went a bit OTT in the end with unrealistic expectations.

In respect of the initiatives you mention, the "guaranteed connections" on the Lizard were anything but, the Dartmouth Explorer was poorly operated and the least said about Discover Exeter the better.
Bit harsh on Simon Goff - he's been with First for at least 10 years. However, the First restructuring has seen that remote management return and that's not a good thing.

I think the Carter/Huws era can be characterised in two main chunks with Covid, not surprisingly, being a defining moment. Before then, new vehicle investment and route development/marketing had reached a high point, or at least in Cornwall it had. The management team cut off the dead weight of Plymouth, and then managed to finally get rid of Webberbus in Somerset though the operations there never felt like there was a victory dividend. Still, up until 2020, there was optimism and consistent improvement in the operations.

Covid not only changed the industry overnight with fewer passengers and rising costs. However, at that self same moment came the commencement of Go Ahead's TfC operations and this is something that I cautioned about at the time. It was spun that these were low margin operations and no great loss, with the ability to instead secure higher margins on commercial initiatives and contracted work elsewhere. However, those operations that were lost were important in providing a stable, consistent contribution to fixed overheads - something even more important in the post Covid world.

The commercial initiatives that followed in 2021 were brave, and some succeeded and some didn't. Again, as I said at the time, you have to kiss a lot of frogs and not all will turn into princes, so clearly some would work and some wouldn't. Lizard was always one I was doubtful about - it's just not THAT touristy in comparison to other hotspots. However, it was "operationally ambitious" and the same epithet can be applied to DayTripper. The original Sunseekers around Newquay had potential but crippling staff shortages meant it felt that they only operated sporadically. They did get it right handsomely with Exmoor and Atlantic Coasters but perhaps they were too ambitious?

It does feel like the edge of a precipice, for Buses of Somerset in particular, but Kernow to an extent.

Peter Philips

At the SCC Bus Advisory Board meeting...it was mentioned that plans are afoot to withdraw the 54 (Taunton - Yeovil) and 58 (Wincanton - Yeovil). Those prompted a request for an emergency meeting between SCC's B.A.B and Buses of Somerset of which I have heard nothing of the outcome.
The council said yesterday (or the day before) emergency talks are still ongoing.

They did get it right handsomely with Exmoor and Atlantic Coasters but perhaps they were too ambitious
The Atlantic Coaster was also much more ambitious in its original much longer St Ives Hayle Towans Portreath St Agnes Perranporth Newquay Padstow format with a considerably higher PVR before being truncated to Newquay Padstow.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think the difference that @Andyh82 is pointing out is that the 54/58 proposals are out there in the public domain. Remember that First had already said that the services were untenable six months ago. In respect of Cornwall, there's speculation on these boards but not much firm information.
Given that some of us hear stuff within the industry I think there's actually a lot of informed speculation on here. Also remember that the scene has been set to an extent in Cornwall with FSW unexpectedly cutting back ABB drastically last autumn, including leaving some communities in West Cornwall high and dry before the council could stop in and provide a replacement service (route 7).

Bit harsh on Simon Goff - he's been with First for at least 10 years. However, the First restructuring has seen that remote management return and that's not a good thing.
Yes, I wasn't referring to Goff, who I've had a few limited dealings with in the past (all positive I might add).

I think the Carter/Huws era can be characterised in two main chunks with Covid, not surprisingly, being a defining moment. Before then, new vehicle investment and route development/marketing had reached a high point, or at least in Cornwall it had. The management team cut off the dead weight of Plymouth, and then managed to finally get rid of Webberbus in Somerset though the operations there never felt like there was a victory dividend. Still, up until 2020, there was optimism and consistent improvement in the operations.

Covid not only changed the industry overnight with fewer passengers and rising costs. However, at that self same moment came the commencement of Go Ahead's TfC operations and this is something that I cautioned about at the time. It was spun that these were low margin operations and no great loss, with the ability to instead secure higher margins on commercial initiatives and contracted work elsewhere. However, those operations that were lost were important in providing a stable, consistent contribution to fixed overheads - something even more important in the post Covid world.

The commercial initiatives that followed in 2021 were brave, and some succeeded and some didn't. Again, as I said at the time, you have to kiss a lot of frogs and not all will turn into princes, so clearly some would work and some wouldn't. Lizard was always one I was doubtful about - it's just not THAT touristy in comparison to other hotspots. However, it was "operationally ambitious" and the same epithet can be applied to DayTripper. The original Sunseekers around Newquay had potential but crippling staff shortages meant it felt that they only operated sporadically. They did get it right handsomely with Exmoor and Atlantic Coasters but perhaps they were too ambitious?

It does feel like the edge of a precipice, for Buses of Somerset in particular, but Kernow to an extent.
Totally agree with all this. I would add that the huge increase in the Land's End Coaster frequencies was a brave and successful move.

What frustrates me is that some of the new (and now failed) brands and services were operated so poorly right from the start. Did no one have accountability? For example, if the Lizard publicity stated that connections at Helston would be guaranteed who had accountability to make this happen and why in practice didn't it happen? Basic stuff. No point in flashy brands and new services if they don't operate as advertised. Same with the woeful Discover Exeter. Didn't run much of the time and when it did it couldn't use the branded vehicles because they weren't fit for purpose. Who was accountable for purchasing the vehicles? Did an engineer look over them before purchase? I don't expect answers, but hopefully you get the point.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Given that some of us hear stuff within the industry I think there's actually a lot of informed speculation on here. Also remember that the scene has been set to an extent in Cornwall with FSW unexpectedly cutting back ABB drastically last autumn, including leaving some communities in West Cornwall high and dry before the council could stop in and provide a replacement service (route 7).
There is informed speculation and clearly "things are afoot" but that is different to the very definite statements made by First South in Somerset.

buscoaster

Is 'good management' actually good if they lose money? Its one thing investing etc - its good from the passenger perspective - but if it loses money then how can it actually be 'good'?