• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Double deck workings on the 5 are neither common nor rare, but an Atlantic Coaster this afternoon was most unusual. This MAY have been 33235 which worked the U4 from Penwith College later.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Double deck workings on the 5 are neither common nor rare, but an Atlantic Coaster this afternoon was most unusual. This MAY have been 33235 which worked the U4 from Penwith College later.
Yes, it seems just about anything can turn up on that working. I've seen both a Tinner and a blue MMC on it in the past.

83G/84D

Established Member
Not First Kernow specific but good news for concessionary pass holders:-

26 March 2019

Cornwall Good news with an old photo

Cornwall in going against the grain here:

Older people, and those of any age with a disability, who qualify for a concessionary bus pass will be able to travel for free at any time on Cornwall’s buses from 01 April.

Up until now, people who qualify for a bus pass under the English National Concessionary Fares Travel Scheme have been able to travel on Cornwall’s public buses for free after 9.30am on Mondays to Fridays and at any time on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Now, Cornwall Council has decided to extend the scheme so that concessionary bus pass holders can travel on public buses at any time and will no longer have to wait until 9.30am to travel for free.

Cornwall Council Cabinet portfolio holder for transport, Geoff Brown said: “We have listened to residents who hold these bus passes. They have told us that having to wait until 9.30am to be able to travel for free on the bus means that they can’t travel to early appointments. In the case of disabled concessionary bus pass holders in particular, they have told us that under the current arrangements, they can’t use their pass early enough so they either have to pay or make alternative arrangements to travel to adult training and day centres.”

Geoff adds: “We want to encourage people to use public transport and here is a practical way the Council can help people who have a concessionary bus pass to do just that at no cost to them.”

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/council-news-room/media-releases/news-from-2019/news-from-march-2019/have-a-concessionary-bus-pass-you-can-travel-at-any-time-on-cornwall-s-buses-from-01-april

Source:- http://www.plymothiantransit.com/

richw

Veteran Member
Not First Kernow specific but good news for concessionary pass holders:-

Source:- http://www.plymothiantransit.com/

Cornwall council deserve a lot of praise for their pro public transport stance:
They’re investing where most local authorities are cutting.
Increased operation times for the Truro Park and ride
Remove time limit on concession passes
St Erth rail/bus/ park and ride.
Improved Ticketing systems
Plus many other schemes already complete and planned

richw

Veteran Member
Does this relaxation of the rules apply only to Cornwall residents, or are visitors, such as me from upcountry, included as well?

My understanding is visitors included. Likewise if a cornwall card holder went elsewhere they’d be bound by the restrictions for that area they’re visiting

Ian10

Benefits of EU membership!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Absolutely! CC is imperfect in many ways but is a role model for being pro-public transport.

Goldfish62

Established Member
My understanding is visitors included. Likewise if a cornwall card holder went elsewhere they’d be bound by the restrictions for that area they’re visiting
Yes, it would be illegal to restrict it to residents. It's the same with London. 24/7 irrespective of where your pass is issued.

carlberry

Established Member
Yes, it would be illegal to restrict it to residents. It's the same with London. 24/7 irrespective of where your pass is issued.
It's quite possible to restrict it to residents. London chooses to expand it, other areas dont. The trams in Blackpool being an example.

co-tr-paul

Just to confirm on this thread, for the GWR Long Rock depot open day sat 13 Apr, there will be a free shuttle service operated by FK from the bus station to the depot.
Don't know what vehicles will be used for it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Actually, I think you're right and I stand corrected.
For what it's worth, which is probably not a lot, I think you were right first time. Local authorities can (and some do) choose to extend free travel to other modes of transport in their area for local users (and it's not just Blackpool that excludes trams for 'outsiders', London does too, much to my personal annoyance!) but, when it comes to buses, if they extend the hours of availability I think it has to apply to all ENCTS holders. After all, when the bus companies make their reimbursement claims to the LAs in their area for pensioners carried there is no procedure for the LAs to try to apportion some of this to other LAs: thank God for that, say I, because the scheme would collapse under those circumstances.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Huge disruption on the T1/2, and possibly other routes this afternoon. I had to attend a funeral at Camborne Crematorium 3 p.m. and left Penzance at 2.15 by car, knowing to avoid Chyandour where, for the umpteenth time in months, temporary traffic lights are controlling traffic while yet more sub-standard work is carried out by contractors. I didn't know that the new traffic lights at St Erth were today going to be operational for the first time , but they were and I was surprised to pass through unimpeded: however, although traffic coming the other way was also moving, I realised as I went onto the Hayle By Pass that cars were backing up from St Erth, something that only used to ever happen at peak holiday times. A little way along the By Pass a Tinner passed me on the T2 to St Ives: I was aware yesterday that some roads in Hayle were closed, but certainly T1/2 were going through that town then. After the Loggans roundabout, about 4-5 minutes after encountering the first T2 now here was another one for St Ives coming down the Camborne By Pass, or, more accurately, caught up in the 1-2 mile tailback westbound from Loggans, with no sign of an accident.

Leaving the Crem at about 3.50 p.m. luckily I was able to see from the connecting road that the A30 tailback from Hayle Loggans was now back to the Camborne West turn-off (and maybe much further), and a T1 was coming eastbound off the By-Pass for Truro, while another was Pz bound going onto the By Pass. It was unsurprising, then, to find the Connor Downs old A30 road closed by the police, and all traffic being diverted through Camborne. I decided to cut my losses and head back for PZ along the Helston road, and was passed by a Tinner on the 38. Not a word on the local BBC website of any accident or traffic problems, but there must have been many severely inconvenienced bus travellers.

83G/84D

Established Member
It’s not just road works, closures etc . There is just so much more traffic on the roads of Cornwall that just one incident can cause tailbacks in just a few minutes. In Camborne this evening at 8.30pm the level crossing by the railway station was closed for around 8 minutes for two trains to go through. The queues stretched way back even at that time. This last few months during my road journeys the traffic around the county has been noticeably busier from dawn till dusk. Gawd knows what things will be like come the summer. Malcolm Bell from visit Cornwall reported recently that Cornwall is going to be busier than ever this summer ( or words to that effect).

No wonder the T1 & T2 seem to be struggling to keep to time most days with long gaps between buses and bunching. This afternoon I made a short trip on the route and after a wait of about 25 minutes two buses turned up within a couple of minutes heading in the same direction.

Last edited:

GBM

Cornwall council have announced it as fact.
From the CC website https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/national-concession-bus-pass/

Last updated: 30/03/2019
Email page
Print page

Live chat: We're sorry, chat is currently unavailable.
New Senior Bus Pass New Disabled Bus Pass

Replace Your Bus Pass Update Your Address

When and where can I use my bus pass?
Your bus pass is issued under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS). There are two types of passes – eligible age (blue stripe) and disability (orange stripe). Both passes give you the same level of entitlement and have a set expiry date printed on the card. Cards are then renewed depending on type.

From 1 April 2019 your bus pass allows you to travel free of charge at anytime on the majority of services within Cornwall. You can use your bus pass to travel on bus services outside of Cornwall between 0930 and 2300 Monday to Friday and at anytime at weekends and Bank Holidays (not Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or the Isle of Man.) Outside of these times you must pay the standard fare for your journey.

Specific fares
  • Truro Park and Ride: Between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, when you use your bus pass you will pay a maximum of £1 (per person) for a day ticket. Outside of these times, standard fares apply.
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transpo...rvices/park-and-ride-services/park-for-truro/
Last updated: 19/03/2019
Email page
View the current Park for Truro timetable

The Park and Ride is open from Monday-Saturday (except Bank Holidays) unless otherwise specified, and operates between two sites Langarth Park (1209 spaces) and Tregurra Park (1379 spaces) on the West and East of Truro. All cars parked in the sites must leave by 20.30, otherwise you may receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). If you know you will be late, call 0300 123 4100 as soon as possible to arrange the collection of your vehicle.

Tickets
Day tickets are only valid on the day of issue and are non-transferable. All tickets are only available from either the Langarth or Tregurra sites at either ticket machines (these give change) or the enquiry desk. Tickets are not available for sale on the vehicles.

Tickets over the value of £5.00 can be purchased at the enquiry desk by credit or debit card. Multi-day tickets must be topped up at the enquiry desk.

No additional drivers (as I understand it from talking to one of them) have been put on their roster or recruited. And would the Council need to go to the traffic commissioners to apply for a variation in operating hours?

Goldfish62

Established Member
It’s not just road works, closures etc . There is just so much more traffic on the roads of Cornwall that just one incident can cause tailbacks in just a few minutes. In Camborne this evening at 8.30pm the level crossing by the railway station was closed for around 8 minutes for two trains to go through. The queues stretched way back even at that time. This last few months during my road journeys the traffic around the county has been noticeably busier from dawn till dusk. Gawd knows what things will be like come the summer. Malcolm Bell from visit Cornwall reported recently that Cornwall is going to be busier than ever this summer ( or words to that effect).

No wonder the T1 & T2 seem to be struggling to keep to time most days with long gaps between buses and bunching. This afternoon I made a short trip on the route and after a wait of about 25 minutes two buses turned up within a couple of minutes heading in the same direction.
Just wait for the May timetable when trains go to two an hour in each direction.