• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Bazer

I thought it was undergoing a refurb or is this a very recent transfer?
Come down with 37175 & 37176 but required to be put through Mot before been put out in service. only been on the road about three weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bazer

Thanks! Is the Yutong still here too?
Went back to Pelican/Yutong just before the first Eden Session due to where the charge point was, is where Eden park the artics for the band who are playing so there was no room for it.

83G/84D

Established Member
Any sign of the new open top conversion yet? Does it require recertification upon completion of the work? First Kernow behind the scenes has pictures of tree looper 34258 with modifications recently applied.

Volvodart

Established Member
Any sign of the new open top conversion yet? Does it require recertification upon completion of the work?

A photo of it on a Thorntons Low Loader was posted it on Facebook yesterday, so it is on its way.

Volvo142

33177 branded fur Atlantic Coaster A5 was on route 102 today, while green E400MMC 33311 was on route A4.

83G/84D

Established Member
A photo of it on a Thorntons Low Loader was posted it on Facebook yesterday, so it is on its way.

It was seen in Camborne this evening. I don't know when it arrived as I have been away for a few days. This was the best view I could get I am afraid.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 59

MrKnow

Plenty of 'odd' workings out and about in west Cornwall today with 2 Atlantic Coaster Trident's 33233 & 33242 on the L1's, Lizard Solo's 53252 & 53254 on the 39's and Trident 32760 which now wears the unbranded Lizard colours on the A17. Makes you wonder with all the investment that's been made to promote the Lizard routes why none of the buses can be found on them especially given that the summer months draw in quite a few people to that part of Cornwall.

83G/84D

Established Member
32760 was repainted a few weeks ago but awaits application of branding. Five of the new Solos seen last night in Camborne which is a little unusual.

83G/84D

Established Member
I am on the bus to Newquay today. It’s good to see the audio and visual ‘next stop’ system in action on the E400MMC’s and E200MMC’s. It’s a shame the Tinner buses haven’t got it fitted.

richw

Veteran Member
I am on the bus to Newquay today. It’s good to see the audio and visual ‘next stop’ system in action on the E400MMC’s and E200MMC’s. It’s a shame the Tinner buses haven’t got it fitted.

Great system. Often get passengers asking can you let me know where x, y, or z is, and I sometimes forget, the next stop means I don’t need to remember!

83G/84D

Established Member
Great system. Often get passengers asking can you let me know where x, y, or z is, and I sometimes forget, the next stop means I don’t need to remember!

I never thought about that!

33068 working the 1000 ‘91’ Newquay to Truro. 33002 working the 1040 ‘21’ Newquay to St Austell.

MB162435

Established Member
Wasn't it announced last year that Cornwall Council have granted funding for the 2016 built Tinners and Uni buses to be fitted with the 'next stop' system or was that just a rumour?

83G/84D

Established Member
Wasn't it announced last year that Cornwall Council have granted funding for the 2016 built Tinners and Uni buses to be fitted with the 'next stop' system or was that just a rumour?

I have not heard that myself but I expect someone can clarify.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Plenty of 'odd' workings out and about in west Cornwall today with 2 Atlantic Coaster Trident's 33233 & 33242 on the L1's, Lizard Solo's 53252 & 53254 on the 39's and Trident 32760 which now wears the unbranded Lizard colours on the A17. Makes you wonder with all the investment that's been made to promote the Lizard routes why none of the buses can be found on them especially given that the summer months draw in quite a few people to that part of Cornwall.
It seems to have been a general issue right from the start with the branded routes. Only the Tinner routes have a reasonable level of consistency. Must be something to do with how buses rotate in their maintenance cycles to end up at Camborne every 28 days.

richw

Veteran Member
I never thought about that!

It’s more at this time of year with holiday makers not knowing where they are going. I had about 7 or 8 requests for stops on an 87 earlier this week. Luckily 33321 did it for me!

83G/84D

Established Member
Atlantic Coaster ‘A5’ Trident 33172 is on the 1140 ‘21’ from Newquay running about 10 minutes late.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Great system when it's working! My first experience of it was travelling on one of the new buses on the A17 from Penzance Bus Station to St Ives about three weeks ago, around 16.15. The display was stuck on 15.51 with Madron, Poltair Terrace (?) on the screen; I assume the bus had started from Madron, and the screen stayed like that all journey, with no announcements.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A minor physical altercation between an A17 and a brand new Merc outside Boots in Market Jew St around 15.45 today brought traffic to a standstill, mainly because a Mousehole Solo behind had half got onto the stop and couldn't get by. The A17 was one of the new buses (I believe the fleet no ended in 53) and its driver was taking all sorts of photos on his mobile phone. Eventually the Solo got past and the very rare occurrence of two scheduled M6s on the same stretch of Market Jew Street westbound occurred a minute or two later. Probably uncoincidentally, one of the Solos was spotted on Ross Bridge at 16.25, passengerless, blinded for Mousehole but obviously instructed to return to PZ bus station to take up its next duty on time!

83G/84D

Established Member
Another view of 37058 today looking immaculate (apart from the bird mess!). I look forward to seeing it in service in the coming weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 47

Accelerator59

I’ve got a poorly car at the moment, so I’ve had my first taste of the new buses (including Tinner) this week, which were, 44966, 53254, 53257, 33455/6/7. Very smart indeed and impressed with the new ‘next stop’ system on the 200MMCs and Solo SRs.

MrKnow

It’s more at this time of year with holiday makers not knowing where they are going. I had about 7 or 8 requests for stops on an 87 earlier this week. Luckily 33321 did it for me!

Even more reason to have route branded buses on the exact routes they are advertised for! ;)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm probably the only person on here who didn't realise FK actually have 'spare' drivers on standby. The A17 I was on to St Ives changed drivers at Penzance and the new, very friendly driver announced it was his first drive of the day after a driver called in sick. I got his bus on the way back too, and he signed off again at PZ bus station. Are 'standbys' just at certain times/locations or is it common?

Westnat

I'm probably the only person on here who didn't realise FK actually have 'spare' drivers on standby. The A17 I was on to St Ives changed drivers at Penzance and the new, very friendly driver announced it was his first drive of the day after a driver called in sick. I got his bus on the way back too, and he signed off again at PZ bus station. Are 'standbys' just at certain times/locations or is it common?
I'd say it's normal. My local company has 'standby duties' to cover sickness, late running and other eventualities.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd say it's normal. My local company has 'standby duties' to cover sickness, late running and other eventualities.
Yes, normal practice across the industry. Ideally, spare buses and spare drivers. Not always possible all the time of course.

MrKnow

External Route branding makes no difference to the announcements.

yes I know that you're missing the point I'm trying to make!! Anyone from the outside looking to visit the area will naturally be drawn to the bus depending on the livery and where its advertising, having a Lizard bus or one of the Coasters off route just creates confusion especially for tourists who half the time don't even look at the destination on the blind!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
yes I know that you're missing the point I'm trying to make!! Anyone from the outside looking to visit the area will naturally be drawn to the bus depending on the livery and where its advertising, having a Lizard bus or one of the Coasters off route just creates confusion especially for tourists who half the time don't even look at the destination on the blind!
Another example of possible confusion - a large poster has appeared at Penzance bus station advertising the Mousehole bus i.e. the M6, with wording 'up to every 30 minutes', although the accompanying photo of an actual bus on the route bears the legend 'up to every 20 minutes', which is actually once again true after a year or so's hiatus!