• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Once the 12 have been painted for the colleges, all the others will just wear the standard green livery.
Thanks, it hasn't been said if all remaining would go into green or maybe ac or u lines colours.
But tha ks for clearing up
Some the Lizard East Lancs would be good candidates for Uni livery to go along with 32757

There are multiple plans for painting, branding, refurbishment - all supporting new and revised routes / products, and probably beyond anyone here’s wildest expectations There’s a huge project underway across the SW business that involves Best Impressions, Flash Forward And MMHs Commercial Team.

The only thing anyone here really knows is that they don’t know. Only a very small circle of people within the business know any of the details of the plans and they’re keeping it that way.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are multiple plans for painting, branding, refurbishment - all supporting new and revised routes / products, and probably beyond anyone here’s wildest expectations There’s a huge project underway across the SW business that involves Best Impressions, Flash Forward And MMHs Commercial Team.

The only thing anyone here really knows is that they don’t know. Only a very small circle of people within the business know any of the details of the plans and they’re keeping it that way.

That all sounds very interesting. Certainly, the work that has been done in Cornwall in improving all aspects of the business is extremely impressive. The investment in well appointed e200/e400 and the Solos, the execution and commitment to improving things operationally, and the introduction of brands like Tinner have certainly been a breath of fresh air. Putting a business back on a sound financial footing that was a basket case not much more than 6 years ago is a testament to the hard work of the FSW team and seeing it flourish. FWIW, I still don't buy the "gallic shrug" of not winning the TfC tenders; I'm sure they would much rather have won them. That said, they didn't and they have a demonstrable business plan to develop things as evidenced by the Cornwall College and schools wins.

I have been more critical of Somerset in the past, and with some justification though I do really want that business to thrive. However, it is pleasing to see the Quantock refurbs and whilst the 21 branding is a cute adaptation of the Atlantic Coaster livery that the vehicles already wore, the good folk of Bridgwater won't know that and it does show more marketing effort is going on. With some more repaints appearing into standard BoS green and a focus on developing the FSW business further with improved marketing, I hope it prospers.

In terms of the fleet, some of the Geminis are in need of some TLC internally so it would be good for some of those to be treated. In terms of new vehicles, and especially in these challenging times, I wouldn't expect anything. In fact, the only Kernow route that stands out as needing an upgrade is the M6 as the Solos are a bit unreliable and getting on a bit. Somerset is a different affair but I don't know if there's if any routes that could stand investment. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

FSW has done a great job and supported by people like FF and Best Impressions, it will certainly prove interesting.

All sounds very exciting! Sounds to me Marc is planning some exciting stuff for Cornwall next year so I can’t wait to see what the plans are!!

henairs

42949 has returned to service following its attention at TN depot. On local Yeovil route 51 today.
Good to read the Gateway P&R at TN resumes operations from Nov 2nd after the extensive road works in the area.
All the best,
Mike R

Whiteway215

Established Member
I too would like to know the fleetnumbers of the returnees from Winkleigh, lost track of them now!
Having just read the latest PSV Circle news sheet I see 33001 33113 33155 33165 33170 33173 33236 are reported as coming back from Dan Shears in September. Whether that is the true picture I don't know but this could well be based on First official information? However I see that neither 33155 or 170 appear on the Kernow Behind the Scenes fleetlist for early October.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
However I see that neither 33155 or 170 appear on the Kernow Behind the Scenes fleetlist for early October.
2 or 3 failed on the way back down and didn’t see service.
33230 was due to be taken back to winkleigh yesterday, which didn’t feature on that list.

83G/84D

Established Member
Some Tridents also came from Bristol. Can't recall exactly but 33072, 33158 & 33182 I think are amongst them.

Cornwall council supply the vehicles for truro park and ride, so the main vehicles are whatever they decide to supply.
nothing is happening with it and is an unrelated contract to the Eden park and ride
In fact the Truro Park and Ride is a Cornwall Council Contract, Eden Park and Ride is an Eden Project Contract

My thought at the time was that they might have gone with 39-45 seat e200mmc. The choice of Solos for the A17 was a bit of a surprise.
The choice of solos for the A17 was ironic , they would possibly cope with the St Just to Penzance section but the St Ives section was drastically removing capacity.

That source has got it wrong I am afraid.
I would agree with Richard there i think the councils involvement was on the E200s which unbeknown to councillors some were purchased by Cornwall Council, those are now in service with Ho Cornwall bus as we all know

Last edited:

iantherev

Having just read the latest PSV Circle news sheet I see 33001 33113 33155 33165 33170 33173 33236 are reported as coming back from Dan Shears in September. Whether that is the true picture I don't know but this could well be based on First official information? However I see that neither 33155 or 170 appear on the Kernow Behind the Scenes fleetlist for early October.

155/70 and 236 were reported on here and social media (with photographs) as being used on Truro college services but 155/70 appear to have gone back. Altered to short term loans in the next News-sheet.

Whiteway215

Established Member
155/70 and 236 were reported on here and social media (with photographs) as being used on Truro college services but 155/70 appear to have gone back. Altered to short term loans in the next News-sheet.
Other reports on this forum were 33165 photographed at Camborne 12 September and 33001 used on the 231 around 17 September.

TechDan2002

Other reports on this forum were 33165 photographed at Camborne 12 September and 33001 used on the 231 around 17 September.
33165 has been a regular on the 230 the last week. 33001 and 33236 were regulars on the 231 between 15th September and 5th October when 33001 was moved West and 33236 ground to a halt with gearbox issues along the Carnon Downs to Playing Place bus Lane whilst I was riding it and has been VOR at Truro since. I haven’t seen 33155 or 33170 at Truro College but I’m convinced I saw 33068 at Camborne last month.

Attachments

• 009ECCBF-AD06-48FD-8A99-593405AA31CE.jpeg
    009ECCBF-AD06-48FD-8A99-593405AA31CE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43

Lizard1324

Marc has said in twitter.
"Gemini away in Botley at the moment for the first fit on site - then the float set of Gemini. Seats will be used to send us a seat set every week. 20361 also going purple inside.
So im guessing all geminis will go purple inside like this e300

Image below is a screenshot from from twitter.com/@MarcMorganHuws who is the commercial director of First South West. The text reads:
Designed by @creatingdesire purple will become a more familiar and desireous sight on our buses and coaches

It also shows exterior and interior shots of an Enviro 300.
Screenshot_20201026-115448_Twitter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Marc has said in twitter.
"Gemini away in Botley at the moment for the first fit on site - then the float set of Gemini. Seats will be used to send us a seat set every week. 20361 also going purple inside.
So im guessing all geminis will go purple inside like this e300

Hmmm..... The purple would certainly be more in tune with the existing laminates etc in the vehicles. When First WoE use their green/blue diamond moquette, my greater objection is that it jars with the various shades of lilac and mauve that are found in pre-2012 stock. I have to say that I think the purple looks good and is better than the red version that was used with blue laminates in the ex Reading Solars. Mind you, I appreciate that it's just my opinion.

One other observation. Is that a recent picture that's posted? I thought all the BoS e300s had been treated a while ago except for fire damaged 67707. Not clear as to its fate so is it now rebuilt and refurbed?

CD

I suspect that @CD will be very pleased with that!
You cannot have enough B7RLEs.
It did 0700 from Taunton, 0850 back from Yeovil.
Hoping it might stick on the route I went to Yeovil bus station to view 1145 54, but sadly it was 47572. :{